Prospect Info: Austin Carroll (7th Round, 2014 Draft)

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
2r6jy47.jpg

This is completely prompted by the stats thread, and since I've only ever seen him play once (and didn't really notice him) I would like to know more.

I was mildly surprised to realize that he was passed over in two drafts, and grabbed by Calgary in the final round in 2014's draft. Now he leads his team in goals, points, and PIMs, and second in the most important stat - plus/minus. I realize that's not as impressive as a 20 year old, but still pretty good.

He's a big kid too, at 6'3" and 214 lbs. Appears to be truculent (but PIMs could reflect laziness and just be a bunch of holding / hooking penalties)

What's a realistic expectation here? Facepuncher with decent hands? NHL long-shot? I guess if anyone has seen him on a semi-regular basis, would be nice to know his skillset, if any. Did find one scouting report, and he appears underwhelming to the writer.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I want to see him play in the AHL next year. I like this pick a lot, even if he was an overager.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
I thought he looked pretty good in September. I truly believe he has an NHL shot as a bottom six player. He has the size and grit plus he brings an offensive game which is more important today. If he becomes another Bouma I will be very pleased, also reminds me of Ferland a bit.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Prust 2.0?

He reminds me of Ferland when I watch him play. He's very aggressive on the forecheck, and hits hard like Bouma. He has decent hands, not quite as good as Ferland, but I could see him being the perfect 4th liners that could move up to the 3rd.

He'll be fun to watch in the AHL next season!

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
He has a wicked release and is a menace on the forecheck.

All things considered I think he has the ability to become a 15-20 goal third line energy player.

I thought he was ready to turn pro this year based on what I saw but an extra year won't hurt anybody.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
I live in Victoria and have watched him on the royals for the past couple years and always thought he was the best player on the ice. I was stoked when the Flames drafted him. I think he was definitely a steal to get at the 7th round. Big RHS who is putting up awesome points this year. I could honestly see him as the next Clutterbuck but put up better points. Would be a great bottom six forward for us in the near future

Aug 21, 2014
Carroll's 6'4, Clutterbucks 5'11.. If Carroll, can have an impact anywhere close to Clutterbuck that's a solid pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad