AUS Regular Season 2017-18

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
AUS is really top heavy this year. Two teams (UNB and X) have already clinched a playoff spot. None of the teams in the bottom three have beaten a team in the top four. I know there is still more hockey left to be played but it is a safe bet what our semi-final teams will be.

VRedsRule

Aug 26, 2008
Great watching the top four in AUS this year. Competitive. I can honestly say I didn't see an overhauled UNB team going undefeated in regulation in first half. Scoring depth impressive but they could certainly use a finisher or PP catalyst to complement the depth.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Brace got a 1 game suspension, on top of the automatic. He didn't play in Moncton or Halifax, but played last night in Wolfville. Lepkowski broke the guy's arm in the slash and that, coupled with the recent 4 game suspension for the Clapperton hit was deemed to warrant more than a few. He will miss the first 7 games in January.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
2nd half schedule. Who has the toughest schedule?

ACADALUdeMSMUSFXUPEIUNB
ACA0133122
DAL1021233
UdeM3203211
SMU3130122
SFX1221033
UPEI2312301
UNB2312310
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Out of the top 4, UNB has the most games against the others with 7. St FX has the fewest at 5.

Moncton probably has the toughest schedule with 9 games against the top 4.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Brace got a 1 game suspension, on top of the automatic. He didn't play in Moncton or Halifax, but played last night in Wolfville. Lepkowski broke the guy's arm in the slash and that, coupled with the recent 4 game suspension for the Clapperton hit was deemed to warrant more than a few. He will miss the first 7 games in January.
Didn't know that he broke a guys arm, so rightfully deserved. He won't be back until the Jan 27th game..

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Out of the top 4, UNB has the most games against the others with 7. St FX has the fewest at 5.

Yes, but 3 of 5 are with UNB. But, SFX has 14 "guaranteed" points compared to 10 for UNB. There is a chance that SFX could finish 1st if UNB falters. In any case, UNB and SFX are the 2 bye teams, ACA could overtake SMU for 3rd, but hard to say with Lepkowski out for 2 of the 3 against SMU and Schemitsch "uncertain", shall we say..... All things being equal, Dal would need to win both against UdeM if the Eagles go 0-for, in order to get a playoff spot. UPEI should be OK with 3 with DAL and 1 with UdeM.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
It's not the fault of Boes when the team plays poorly in front of you. As hard as they work, Boes is still faced with a lot of quality shots; some of them have to go in.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
It's not the fault of Boes when the team plays poorly in front of you. As hard as they work, Boes is still faced with a lot of quality shots; some of them have to go in.

While the team in front of him is bad he has also had some bad games. In particular his last game against Moncton when he got pulled. They lost 6-1 despite outshooting Les Aigles.

I don't know about the women's team but the men's team is heading towards STU territory. The have been terrible for so long now.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
I don't know about the women's team but the men's team is heading towards STU territory. The have been terrible for so long now.
A few of us have been discussing that very topic recently, that would be devastating to the AUS. With STU gone, and if DAL were to leave, and not sure about Moncton either, what would the other teams do? Would it be possible that some from Quebec join the AUS or vice versa?
Side note on the STU program, there is still a lot of support for that team here in Freddy, there are a bunch of people that would love to see them back, but in reality it is merely a pipe dream. Now if someone wanted to drop the cash in their laps, you might see it.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
2nd half schedule. Who has the toughest schedule?

UNBSFXSMUACDUPEIUdeMDAL
UNB0322113
SFX3011322
SMU2103231
ACD2130231
UPEI1322013
UdeM1233102
DAL3211320
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I rearranged your table showing teams in their relative positions at the break.

The MacAdam/Kelly inter-locking schedule is pretty obvious. UPEI & UNB have pretty much the same 'tough' schedule vs the Kelly teams while the Kelly teams have pretty easy schedules.

Toughest: UNB, UPEI & DAL
Easiest: SFX (3 vs UNB, but only one vs ACD & SMU and 7 vs PEI/UdeM/DAL)

UNB's 'odd' game vs SFX is at the AUC on Feb 9th - might be for 1st place? I think UNB's road weekend prior to the 9th vs ACD & SMU (2nd & 3rd) will decide 1st place - if UNB can win those games, it might be all they need.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
X over UNB 5-2. X is tough enough to play, but a tough egg to crack, especially when they play with the lead. X's pp is the difference, they are allowed to pass quickly around the perimeter until they get a clear shooting lane, and they unload a shot. They don't overpass, net front presence always. Simple but very effective! The Reds need to do a better job of pressuring the puck against their pp unit.
This wasn't the best effort put forth by the V-Reds, for sure. The key to beating X is to play with the lead and try to extend it. Moving forward, I would have to think that Parenteau get more playing time against the other top 3 schools, heading down the stretch.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Interesting note that UPEI's win over STFX on Friday night was the first time one of the bottom three teams beat one of the top four teams in the AUS.
If X had won that game you could have made an argument that they should be #1 in the country with Alberta losing back to back.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Just watched UNB-SFX on the web. Very entertaining game.

Yes, the score was not indicative of the play. Both goaltenders played great.

Dal beats UPEI tonight leapfrogging Moncton for the last playoff spot. The two teams play against each other on Friday.

Noticed that Moncton has a new goaltender Jason Rioux. Last played for the Truro Bearcats. Had a few games with the Wildcats as well.

Edit: I forgot to mention that X freshman Santino Centorame was taken off the ice on a stretcher with an apparent leg injury. Would be a big loss.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad