AUS Regular Season 2017-18

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
UNB 3 UPEI 2 - Panthers always play the VReds pretty tough. Shots on goal were only 26-23 in favor of UNB.
Quite a bit of rough stuff as usual including the end of the game. I couldn't help but notice when the coaches were shaking hands there was a lengthy conversation between them. Linesmen came over to interject.

Anyway the win puts UNB one point up on X for first. Looking forward to the game on Friday.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
"
If you look at the box score, you'll see that SFX got 4 goals on the PP with Acadia missing 2 Defensemen and 2 forwards from the 2nd period fiasco. Couple that with the fact that MacDonald and Harper got misconducts plus having a guy in the box to serve the 2 min penalty and Acadia had a total of 9 guys on the bench at times. Acadia lost 4 skill players while SFX lost 4 dummies. Yeah, I'd call it a character win.

Hear, hear

Reactions: FreddtFoyle

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I think what starts everything was sending the dummies over the boards to begin with. I think there was intent on the part of the SFX coaching staff. I agree with your observation on the instigator re: Southam and also on the 1 games suspension for the fighters.

I wasn't there, but I reviewed the AUStv.ca video several times. No doubt in my mind that StFX instigated that donnybrook. Very much a junior or minor pro move ... you're down four goals so you send your 4th line out to make something happen. First there was that open ice hip check, which was fine, and then that crap along the boards where it is pretty obvious Spears and company are trying to goad Acadia players into fighting.

Not a class move at all, by a coach who is the first to complain if another coach's team doesn't show class when they win. Add in the fact that Acadia was short d-men, and the X instigators are targeting d-men, and you can't help but be cynical about the whole play.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
SMU with the win over DAL tonight, and another game with a fighting major. Verbeek gets a fighting major and instigator while Trickett gets a couple of minors. Video doesn't really show it well, assuming that Trickett cross checked him and Verbeek wasn't going to let him get away with it.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
A third (1/3) of the season is done but there are still some match-ups that haven't occurred, but will this weekend for the first time. After this weekend everyone will have played each other at least once.

StFX & DAL on the road to play UNB & UPEI
UPEI hosts DAL & StFX
UNB hosts StFX & DAL
--
SMU to play ACD (Wed) & UdeM (Sat)
ACD to play SMU (Wes) & UdeM (Fri)
UdeM to play ACD & SMU

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Regarding the incident at the SMU-DAL game last night: Both players were battling hard behind the net and then they tangled. While they were on the ice, Verbeek sucker-punched Trickett who now has a concussion.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Regarding the incident at the SMU-DAL game last night: Both players were battling hard behind the net and then they tangled. While they were on the ice, Verbeek sucker-punched Trickett who now has a concussion.
I am just curious if SMU can pay the $500 and submit video of the incident, since it was a hit to the head that caused an injury? I think that they should be able to.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
A third (1/3) of the season is done but there are still some match-ups that haven't occurred, but will this weekend for the first time. After this weekend everyone will have played each other at least once.
Just wondering if this season's schedule may have some influence on the increased fighting majors, teams playing each other back to back and more frequently to start this season, fueled the hatred that much more?

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Rookie of the Year
At this stage; Kielly (UPEI, 19pts - USPORTS 4th in scoring) and Bennett (UNB, 15pts - USPORTS 7th in scoring) are the top candidates for Rookie of the Year for the conference as well as the entire league.

Other conference rookie standouts:
(F) Boland (UNB)
(F) Coughler (SMU)
(F) Deslauriers (UdeM)
(D) Centorame (StFX)
(D) Jamieson (DAL)
(D) Leblanc (UNB)
(G) Parenteau (UNB), but will need to see more min going forward
(G) Carty (ACD)
(G) Mancina (UPEI)

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Just wondering if this season's schedule may have some influence on the increased fighting majors, teams playing each other back to back and more frequently to start this season, fueled the hatred that much more?

Possibly - after the 25th, UNB will have played UdeM & UPEI 4 times, but have 3 games left vs StFX, ACD, DAL & SMU.

In the case of ACD/StFX, that was only their 3rd game and their first meeting in 3 weeks, so I'm not sure the schedule 'influenced' the game as much as the score did (5-1) at the time of the incident.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I absolutely think it is a factor when it comes to rough stuff. Teams in the AUS play each other more than any other conference. Which is also a factor in keeping attendance lower than it could be.

I really think they should go to 24 games. Let the teams choose if they want to play extra exhibition games to make it up.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I don't think the schedule has much bearing on this kind of stuff. There are certain teams and certain players who have a rep for "goonery". And I'll leave it at that.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I don't think the schedule has much bearing on this kind of stuff. There are certain teams and certain players who have a rep for "goonery". And I'll leave it at that.

Well there are definitely certain teams with more of a propensity towards "goonery" but it definitely becomes less of a factor the fewer games teams see each other.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
McNulty, Maaskant and Fioretti all get 1 game suspensions. No word on SFX but would have to assume the same dance partners would get the same punishment.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
McNulty, Maaskant and Fioretti all get 1 game suspensions. No word on SFX but would have to assume the same dance partners would get the same punishment.
So like we suspected, Southam doesn't get a one game for his fight because Hendsbee got the the instigator. Assuming that the combination of a game and 10 min misconduct got Masskant and Fioretti the one game suspensions.
So by that logic, Difruscia, Hendsbee, and possibly Spears will miss some time.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
The SFX suspensions will make Friday's game vs UNB interesting. If I recall, a fighting major means you lose the player and the spot so SFX will be light some players (no one of any skill, but they will have to run the remaining horses a bit harder). Looking forward to this game even more now.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
The CW went from 7 to 8 teams and it had no effect on penalties. They also play exclusively double-headers every weekend.

IMO the spate of AUS majors is just one of those things.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
I wish the AUS would release the suspensions, heard that Spears is going to be sitting as well for his gross misconduct in the Acadia game.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The SFX suspensions will make Friday's game vs UNB interesting. If I recall, a fighting major means you lose the player and the spot so SFX will be light some players (no one of any skill, but they will have to run the remaining horses a bit harder). Looking forward to this game even more now.
As I understand it, you no longer lose the roster spot when someone is suspended for fighting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->