AUS Regular Season 2017-18

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Not sure how it doesn't get at least a game or two, point of contact is the head, his back was to him, he didn't turn and then get hit, and then the injury. He was lucky that the official called it as a boarding major, hit to the head or hitting from behind could have easily been the call and he would have been suspended automatically. Now I did hear that he was pretty upset afterwards, I highly doubt that there is a player in this league that is out to knock another out for the season or such.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Why do schools have to pay $500 when they send in a hit to be reviewed? Is it to act as a bit of a deterrent so every borderline hit doesn’t get sent in?

pens29

Aug 31, 2017
UNB vs Acadia friday night. Acadia's D looked slow against an over aggressive UNB forecheck, resulting in several turnovers .Plenty of skill missing, with Schemitsch and Pufahl out.
UNB vs SMU looked a lot like the Acadia game. SMU under a lot of pressure from UNB's forecheck for long stretches of the game. Brassard played well, despite giving up 4 goals.
UNB offense has started to click, despite the loss of scoring in the departure of Maillet, Halley and Murray.
Defese remains rock solid!
Anderson and Bennitt are a force to handle, could use a little more hustle out of Boland.
Why all the talk about unb when’s the last time before chirstmas they have won @Acadia they get abused every time they are in wolfville acadia has the best D in the leauge when they have their full lineup

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Why all the talk about unb when’s the last time before chirstmas they have won @Acadia they get abused every time they are in wolfville acadia has the best D in the leauge when they have their full lineup

Acadia has given up the 3rd most goals in the league and more than twice as many as the top team. Schemitsch and Pufahl are obviously two of the best in the league, but I don’t think even they are going to make the Axemen the best D in the league.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Why do schools have to pay $500 when they send in a hit to be reviewed? Is it to act as a bit of a deterrent so every borderline hit doesn’t get sent in?

Probably something like that. Keep in mind that the initial call was boarding, which was expanded to a major when Clapper was injured. CFB or Hit-to-the-head were not called. I didn't see either when I watched the video.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Probably something like that. Keep in mind that the initial call was boarding, which was expanded to a major when Clapper was injured. CFB or Hit-to-the-head were not called. I didn't see either when I watched the video.
What video did you watch, there was no initial call of boarding that was expanded to a major, the initial call (and posted on the board) was a 5 min major. Like I said before, point of contact was his head. His forearm drives his head in to the glass. Would also explain why he required stitches for the cut (assuming his visor did the damage on that one). I have watched the video over and over, his numbers are clearly facing out, and it is his forearm that drives his head into the glass. So it could have easily have been a hitting from behind or a check from behind penalty.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Two firsts in the AUS tonight. Moncton with their first win and STFX with their first loss.
Sounds like the StFx - SMU game was a good one, SMU was up 4-2 and St FX came back to tie it and then lose in OT..And see there were a couple of Fighting Majors in the DAL-ACA game..

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
And Bill Hunt chimes in with his opinion in his column that will be, I assume, in tomorrow’s paper (it’s online now)....apparently it wasn’t until Monday night that the hit was reviewed, which is absolutely mind-boggling. No wonder nothing was decided until this morning (4 game suspension), although we probably won’t see that announced anywhere, per usual.

Reactions: Prov1X

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
And Bill Hunt chimes in with his opinion in his column that will be, I assume, in tomorrow’s paper (it’s online now)....apparently it wasn’t until Monday night that the hit was reviewed, which is absolutely mind-boggling. No wonder nothing was decided until this morning (4 game suspension), although we probably won’t see that announced anywhere, per usual.
I just read the article by Hallihan, definitely doesn't hold back! Will have to read Bill's tomorrow. What's funny, NB hockey lists all Bantam AAA suspensions right on their website, not sure why the AUS can't do the same.
4 Games is a pretty decent suspension, more than I had actually expected.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Wondering if Acadia got the word on the suspension before last nights game, as Lepkowski was not listed in the lineup for last nights game vs DAL.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I just don’t understand why they try to hide them. Do they think it’s going be a bad look for the conference? Or, as someone posted here before I believe, by not posting them and allowing the public to see them, is it a deliberate way to try and keep people from seeing any potential inconsistencies from one suspension to the next.

Reactions: Prov1X

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
I just don’t understand why they try to hide them. Do they think it’s going be a bad look for the conference? Or, as someone posted here before I believe, by not posting them and allowing the public to see them, is it a deliberate way to try and keep people from seeing any potential inconsistencies from one suspension to the next.
I believe that I may have said that previously as there is no consistency in their suspensions. Like you said, are they afraid that it will reflect poorly on their organization? Every league has suspensions, doesn't mean that is simply a goon league!

Last edited:

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Wild one in Wolfeville tonight, Acadia was up 5-1 in the second, then all h*ll broke loose. 4 fighting majors, some misconducts, even a gross misconduct thrown in. Peddle and Burns exchanging words, the St Fx ties it up in the 3rd only to lose in OT. 212 minutes of penalties

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Haven’t gone back to watch it yet, but saw the box score. Noticed a couple of X-Men got fighting majors so I assume they will be out next week against UNB. Also noticed McNulty for Acadia got one as well...with them already missing 3 defensemen that might put them in a bind next game.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I was at the game. To set the scene, Acadia was up 5-1 in a game that had a few penalties prior to this but the game was under control. Acadia was not running around hitting guys and neither was SFX. Then SFX put out their 4th line against Acadia's 1st or 2nd line guys and right away stuff happened. SFX were clearly the instigator. The Acadia guys were trying not to engage, but SFX guys kept at them. I was talking to one guy between periods who said that McNulty was saying " I can't fight because we're missing defensemen". Acadia had a short bench to start with, missing 3 defensemen. From where I sat, this was clearly a means to get a few skilled players and a couple of D off the ice. This kind of stuff plays well in the SPHL, but has no place in the AUS.

I saw two 3-on-0 last weekend in PEI and a full line brawl last night. One was entertaining, the other not so much. I'm not impressed.....

Reactions: FreddtFoyle

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
St FX was defintitely the instigator in this case (as far as I could tell off the webcast anyways). It wasn’t like the fights started because of a bad hit or anything like that...two X-Men pinned an Acadia player against the boards during a stoppage in play and then all hell broke loose.

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Further to the Clapperton/Lepowski incident I discovered a "questionable" hit from 2 UNB players. In the clip, Pomerleau leaves his feet and appears to target the head. While the Acadia player is a bit stunned by the UNB bench, Thomas comes in for what looks like another head shot with the left elbow. I can appreciate the concern of UNB fans for the Lepowski hit, but you have to realize that it is a two-way street and your guys do stuff also. Here is the link to Youtube:

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
There was a bit of a hit just prior to the stoppage on the icing. Nothing major, but I think that starts everything, and it all boils over prior to the puck drop. No doubt in my mind that they were out there for a reason, they had just given up the 5th goal.
Now, I don't think that Rodney Southam will get an automatic one game suspension because Hensbee got the instigator in that fight. I assume that Difruscia, Hendsbee, McNulty, and Spears (possibly, not sure what the gross misconduct was for) will all be sitting the next game. Definitely not a normal night, rarely do you see a fight let alone two in the same game in the AUS.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I think what starts everything was sending the dummies over the boards to begin with. I think there was intent on the part of the SFX coaching staff. I agree with your observation on the instigator re: Southam and also on the 1 games suspension for the fighters.

Reactions: FreddtFoyle

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Looked like a big character win for Acadia. Did coach Burns have any comments after the game?
I think what starts everything was sending the dummies over the boards to begin with. I think there was intent on the part of the SFX coaching staff. I agree with your observation on the instigator re: Southam and also on the 1 games suspension for the fighters.
No doubt in my mind what sort of message Peddle was trying to send by sending that line out there after just going down 5-1, not sure it was his idea to start a couple of fights, but rather to mix things up.

Not sure if it was a character win or not, they were up 5-1 at one point only to see StFx to come back and force OT. I guess in a way, they didn't collapse completely and win it in OT, and they did beat #3 ranked team.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Peddle acting childish when his team is getting blown out?? I am shocked!

Given the number of times we have seen him berate the officials and UNB bench over the years at the AUC when things haven’t gone the X-Men way....I’m not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
"Not sure if it was a character win or not, they were up 5-1 at one point only to see StFx to come back and force OT. I guess in a way, they didn't collapse completely and win it in OT, and they did beat #3 ranked team. "

If you look at the box score, you'll see that SFX got 4 goals on the PP with Acadia missing 2 Defensemen and 2 forwards from the 2nd period fiasco. Couple that with the fact that MacDonald and Harper got misconducts plus having a guy in the box to serve the 2 min penalty and Acadia had a total of 9 guys on the bench at times. Acadia lost 4 skill players while SFX lost 4 dummies. Yeah, I'd call it a character win.

Reactions: Drummer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->