AUS Awards 2016-17

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Hope I'm not too early on this, but I'll be away for 3 weeks and.....

MVP - Phillipe Maillet

Rookie - Hunter Garlent. Not sure if a rookie has ever won MVP, but in the absence of Maillet, Garlent could be in the discussion for that award also.

Coach - Difficult choice as it can be political, but I'll go with Darren Burns.

Sportsmanlike - Repaci or Duffy

Defenseman - Jordan Murray, based on his numbers. With honourable mention to Pufalhl.

Goalie - Marcoux is the winner based on numbers.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
My choices

MVP: P. Maillet (UNB) - Pretty clear winner. Lead the Team, Conference and League with 50+ points (even before 28 games). 3 Hat-Tricks and 4 GWG.

Forward #2: H. Garlent (SMU)
Forward #3: J. Plante (UdeM)

Rookie: H. Garlent (SMU)

Coach: G. MacDougall (UNB) - Yes - they're a veteran team, but with little room to improve (only 5 loses last year), they improved their record by 2 win (those 2 extra games were wins) while only Acadia was able to improve by 1 win, no other team improved their record from last season. They (UNB) also gave up 6 fewer goals over the season despite playing 2 more games.

Sportsman: A. Repaci (SMU)

MVP-D: J. Murray (UNB) - (not really an award in the AUS, but is for USports) Another clear-cut winner. He eclipsed his stats from last year where he was AUS and CIS DMan of the Year. Should win both again this year. The best DMan on points before this was Andrew Hotham-SMU(37) in 2011 (also AUS MVP) and (39) in 2010
Dman #2: M. Pufahl (ACD)

Goalie (MVP): E. Marcoux (UNB) - completely superior numbers to everyone else despite playing on a good team. I can't see how you can dismiss a sub 1.60 GAA. They did when Travis was here, but these are ridiculous number over 17 games. Travis was passed over for 1st and 2nd Team honours with a 1.60 in 2011 for Conway-SMU( 2.21) & Perricone-SFX(2.37)
Goalie 2nd Team: R. Steeves (ACD)

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Don't think you're gonna get 4 awards. If Gardiner get Coach of the Year, one of his players will suffer for it.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
AUS and CIS MVP: Phil Maillet (although UofS goalie Cooke may take national award). He is the best player. Just ask his teammates.

Rookie of the Year: Hunter Garlent. Not even close. Should have real good shot at national award.

AUS and CIS defenceman of the year: Jordan Murray. He won both last year, and is playing even better this year.

AUS Goalie: Should be Etienne Marcoux. The only stat he doesn't own is save percentage. But AUS coaches have bias against V-Reds goalies ("look at the team in front of him ...").

Sportsmanlike: I really like how STU/UPEI's J.C. Campagna plays the game clean, especially for a big guy. He is really good with fans, especially kids. But because of their numbers I could see Repaci or Duffy. Repaci however has played more games.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
MOST VALUABLE PLAYER (Kelly Trophy): Philippe Maillet, UNB Varsity Reds

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR (A.J. MacAdam Trophy): Hunter Garlent, SMU Huskies

COACH OF THE YEAR (Bob Boucher Trophy): Gardiner MacDougall, UNB Varsity Reds

MOST SPORTSMANLIKE PLAYER (Don Wells Trophy): Geoff Schemitsch, ACD Axemen

STUDENT-ATHLETE COMMUNITY SERVICE AWARD (The Godfrey Award): Eric Locke, SFX X-Men

Non-AUS Award - Best Defenseman Jordan Murray, UNB

First Team All-Stars:
Goaltender: Chase Marchand, StFX (1st year – Halifax, N.S.)
Defence: Jordan Murray, UNB (4th year – Riverview, N.B.)
Defence: Geoff Schemitsch, Acadia (4th year – Thornhill, Ont.)
Forward: Philippe Maillet, UNB (4th year – Terrebonne, Que.)
Forward: Hunter Garlent, Saint Mary's (1st year – Thorold, Ont.)
Forward: Jean-François Plante, Moncton (3rd year – Sherbrooke, Que.)

Second Team All-Stars:
Goaltender: Étienne Marcoux, UNB (2nd year – Terrebonne, Que.)
Defence: Matthew Pufahl, Acadia (3rd year – Saskatoon, Sask.)
Defence: Jagger Dirk, StFX (3rd year – Penticton, B.C.)
Forward: Cam Braes, UNB (5th year – Shawnigan Lake, B.C.)
Forward: Eric Locke, StFX (3rd year – Toronto, Ont.)
Forward: Alex Saulnier, Moncton (4th year – Cap-Pelé, N.B.)

All-Rookie Team:
Goaltender: Chase Marchand, StFX (Halifax, N.S.)
Defence: Matt Murphy, UNB (Fredericton, N.B.)
Defence: Cole MacDonald, StFX (Wetaskiwin, Alta.)
Forward: Hunter Garlent, Saint Mary's (Thorold, Ont.)
Forward: Stephen Harper, Acadia (Burlington, Ont.)
Forward: Bronson Beaton, Saint Mary's (Springhill, Ont.)

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
> First Team All-Stars:
> Goaltender: Chase Marchand, StFX (1st year – Halifax, N.S.)

A bit surprised at this. His GAA was 6th and SV% 2nd at .913 only a bit better than Steeves (.912) and Marcoux (.910).

If he was that impressive to be 1st team, why did SFX finish 3rd with 2 less wins than last year. SFX was 2nd last year at 18-6-4 and were 16-12-2 this year with a 'top goalie'. For me, an All-Star goalie has to make a difference. Bowes, had he stayed healthy, would have won for sure, but does that drop Marchand to 2nd and Marcoux out of the top 3?

Marcoux made a difference - maybe didn't see a lot of work, but still had to keep the puck out of the next and did it well with a GAA of 1.59. But, at least he was recognized - Travis never saw any love.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
> First Team All-Stars:
> Goaltender: Chase Marchand, StFX (1st year – Halifax, N.S.)

A bit surprised at this. His GAA was 6th and SV% 2nd at .913 only a bit better than Steeves (.912) and Marcoux (.910).

If he was that impressive to be 1st team, why did SFX finish 3rd with 2 less wins than last year. SFX was 2nd last year at 18-6-4 and were 16-12-2 this year with a 'top goalie'. For me, an All-Star goalie has to make a difference. Bowes, had he stayed healthy, would have won for sure, but does that drop Marchand to 2nd and Marcoux out of the top 3?

Marcoux made a difference - maybe didn't see a lot of work, but still had to keep the puck out of the next and did it well with a GAA of 1.59. But, at least he was recognized - Travis never saw any love.

I don't get a chance to watch a lot of AUS regular season action, but judging from the numbers and UNB's results, Marcoux made virtually *no* difference in UNB's season. The team's GAA was 1.90, and Dubeau had a GAA of 2.30 - while still having a 10-3 record. If Dubeau started all season, what would UNB's record be? In my opinion, it wouldn't be tangibly different - maybe 2-3 more losses, and they'd still be the far-and-away top team in the AUS.

UNB's goals-per-game was 4.50 - to me, that's almost the least-possible impact a goalie can have on a team's success. Furthermore, Marcoux's save% against the AUS' other top teams - Acadia and St FX - was a pretty average .903.

"Didn't see a lot of work" is the understatement of the year - Marcoux averaged 17.8 shots against/60, where Marchand faced nearly double that amount (32.1).

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
After looking at the numbers the selection of Marchand over Marcoux appears less egregious. Marchand had a better save percentage in more minutes played...I think that outweighs the massive advantage Marcoux has in GAA. IMO, GAA is more dependent on the team in front of you...save percentage is a better indicator of how good the goalie is.

You could also argue Marchand was more consistent this year. Marcoux had 7 games out of 17 (15 starts) with a sub-0.900 save percentage, including games of 0.722 and 0.826. Granted, when you only face 17-20 shots/game, even giving up 2 goals will give you a below average save percentage. Marchand, on the other hand, played more games (19 games with 18 starts) but only had 6 sub-0.900 save percentage games with his worst game being 0.828.

I agree about Boes though, he was a shoe-in had he stayed healthy.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I don't get a chance to watch a lot of AUS regular season action, but judging from the numbers and UNB's results, Marcoux made virtually *no* difference in UNB's season. The team's GAA was 1.90, and Dubeau had a GAA of 2.30 - while still having a 10-3 record. If Dubeau started all season, what would UNB's record be? In my opinion, it wouldn't be tangibly different - maybe 2-3 more losses, and they'd still be the far-and-away top team in the AUS.

UNB's goals-per-game was 4.50 - to me, that's almost the least-possible impact a goalie can have on a team's success. Furthermore, Marcoux's save% against the AUS' other top teams - Acadia and St FX - was a pretty average .903.

I agree. Marcoux played in five one goal games all year...UNB was 3-2 in those games. Two of those games were 5-4 (a win against Dal and a loss to St. FX)...you could argue Dubeau would have done just as well, if not better, in those games.

That leaves 3 2-1 games that UNB went 2-1 in (loss to Acadia, OT wins over Acadia and St. FX). He only faced 14 shots in the loss to Acadia but 21 in each of the OT games. Dubeau maybe doesn't get wins in those games....but that means at the very most Marcoux was the difference in two games he played all year.

I know this is a very rudimentary way to look at it, but I doubt UNB's record is that much different if they went with Dubeau for the majority of the starts.

Last edited:

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
What has not been discussed is how difficult it sometimes is for goalies to adapt to playing for UNB. Yes, difficult.

When you talk to the UNB goalies over the last 10 years or so, they all mention the challenge of facing so few shots, after what they are used to in Junior. Long minutes without touching a puck can make it hard to keep your focus, and then you have to be ready to make a save on a turnover or penalty kill.

Almost all of them I have talked to over the years said they would rather face more pucks to keep a rhythm going, but then, they say, playing on a winning team has its own advantages.

:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->