AUS 2015-16 Regular Season Thread

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I'm very happy with that...more games is always better IMO. If they were dead set on going with a balanced schedule (which I agree is the right move) it was either 24 or 30...and 24 is way too few.

On the other hand, it sounds like they are capping the number of exhibition games at 6, which is a terrible idea. UNB has typically been around 8-11 the last number of years. 8 would have been more reasonable I think....that would give you 6 before the season starts and 2 over Christmas. Now with only 6 it would probably mean 4 before the season begins and 2 over Christmas.....I wonder if they only make one trip/play two games against NCAA teams this year.

Last edited:

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I'm very happy with that...more games is always better IMO. If they were dead set on going with a balanced schedule (which I agree is the right move) it was either 24 or 30...and 24 is way too few.

On the other hand, it sounds like they are capping the number of exhibition games at 6, which is a terrible idea. UNB has typically been around 8-11 the last number of years. 8 would have been more reasonable I think....that would give you 6 before the season starts and 2 over Christmas. Now with only 6 it would probably mean 4 before the season begins and 2 over Christmas.....I wonder if they only make one trip/play two games against NCAA teams this year.

4 pre-season games will be hard to do.

With an enforced start date of (Monday) Sept. 25th, you only have two weekends to play exhibition games - Oct. 1/2 & 8/9, but the second weekend is Thanksgiving.

The last two seasons the AUS started the season on Wed & Thu prior to Thanksgiving then a full slate following the weekend - they may need to play games on Thanksgiving to accommodate the 2 extra games and unbalanced schedule.

So - there may only be one weekend to play preseason exhibition games of any kind.

UPEI is already penciled in to play UMass-Lowell on the 2nd - so it looks like the Oct 1/2 weekend will be the US Road Trip weekend.

If the league skips over Thanksgiving, a team can get 2 more games in if there are any dance partners. If the rumor of UNB going to play Ryerson is true - it will be the long weekend.

If the league passes on having games on Thanksgiving, then I would see them play on the 7th of January which makes games over Christmas only viable if they are played on the 2nd-4th, but that could be hard for both teams if they have their own league games on the 8th/9th.

We also don't know the weekend of the University Cup (or what is marketed as Championship Weekend). At least I haven't seen it announced. Which would dictate how tight the calendar is.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
We also don't know the weekend of the University Cup (or what is marketed as Championship Weekend). At least I haven't seen it announced. Which would dictate how tight the calendar is.

If the AUC Ice Schedule is to be believed...it looks like the University Cup will be held the week of March 13th-20th (so 16th-19th).

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
If the AUC Ice Schedule is to be believed...it looks like the University Cup will be held the week of March 13th-20th (so 16th-19th).

Ahh - you sneaky devil.

Yes - that is likely the UCup weekend.

Second Half
If the season ended on Fri. Feb. 11th. (last year it was the 12th)
- The first round would start Wed. Feb. 15th and end on 19th (estimate)
- The second round would start on Wed. Feb. 22nd and end on Thu. Mar. 2nd (estimate)
- The finals would start on 4th and finish by the 11th (which I think is an AUS rule, the Saturday before the tournament starts).

So, that gives you 6 weekends in the Second half for 12 games not including weekdays. Add 3 Wednesday games and you are at 15.

First Half
The First half would end on Nov. 26. or maybe Wed. Nov. 30th)

So, that gives you 8 weekends starting Oct. 7th (Thanksgiving weekend). Remove this weekend for 7 weekends.

So, that gives you 14 weekend games. Throw in 3 Wednesday games and you are at 17 and total of 32.

UNB had an off weekend last year in late October, so remove 2 games and you are at 30.

With easier travel in the Fall - they may move some Wed games into the first half and go for a 16/14 or 17/13 split.

Impact to Exh
Well, there really are only 2 weekend for games 1/2 and 8/9 (Thanksgiving).

Christmas is tough with just the 2/3rd being free (making the 1st a travel day) and games starting 4 days later on the 7/8th

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I always like to get to the rink ASAP in September to see exhibition games. However, I can see where the costs of those games could challenge the financial viability of a program. As a result I have no problem with a conference setting limits.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
My biggest worry with UNB playing too many exhibition games was the injury factor. I remember them playing down in the US last year with only 15 skaters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad