AUS 2015-16 Regular Season Thread

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Wow. What a prize that would be.

However, Peddle did say that they were not even mentioning the Nationals right now. I believe him. I don't think X has won the AUS title since 2004. That was the year they won it all.

It's in X's best interest for this series to go 3 games so Iafrate's suspension is up before Nationals, so Wednesday's game could be interesting.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
UNB has to win game 2 first.

UNB has never won a UCup wearing 'darks' which is what they would likely have to do if they go in as #5. :cry: That said - they won all of their Reg. Seas. home games wearing dark.:handclap:

They lost 2 straight in 2009 AUS Finals vs SMU and went up against ALB in game 1 and never looked back. This is a different team in a different season, but stuff happens.

I thought their game last night, outside of the last 10min, was a bit pedestrian. They have to be better prepared for SFX to dump it out and their wingers attacking. In the Offensive end - they have to get second changes and play in the paint.

Credit to SFX - they just played, never worried about UNB's possession and passing 'show' and knew they would get their chances.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Isn't sweeping the nation's best team without Iafrate in X's best interest? :)

You won the game (Game 1 AUS Finals) without him, so you don't really need him. Just win the series (if you can) and go to Nationals as #3 (vs #6 likely ALB)

You have to win 3 to win gold, so win game 1 (which you have to anyways) and then if you need him - bring him in for G2.

I wouldn't 'throw' the game to allow a G3 at the AUC - I don't see UNB losing again at the AUC.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Peddle definitely wants the AUS Championship.

Read in the Gleaner today that it was the first time X beat UNB at the AUC since 2011. Didn't realize it had been that long.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Is he thinking that X is going to roll over in game #2?
No, and what has Iafrate brought to the table??

Oh, not at all. I just figured, like most others, that UNB was going to wind up sweeping the series which would've been the worst case scenario for X obviously. Not only would they have lost the AUS finals, but they'd also still have the Iafrate suspension carrying on to Nationals. Now their three possible outcomes are that they win AUS tomorrow, or Iafrate's suspension is up with Friday's game and they'll still have their shot to win it.

Iafrate had 5 points in 9 games for them in the regular season, and 1 point in 3 games in the playoffs. So he does help the team out when he's actually on the ice... but he's quite a wild card.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
UNB had the advantage on paper on special teams coming into this series but X has been much better so far with 2 PP goals and not giving up anything on the PK. UNB not helping themselves with some of these undisciplined penalties.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Absolutely dominant defensive display by St. FX in the 3rd period...too many shot blocks and intercepted passes to count. UNB totally outplayed tonight....Chiarlitti was a beast out there.

Last edited:

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Didn't get to see any of the game as I had to work. How was Marcoux? Someone mentioned he wasnt as good as usual.

He was... less than stellar. Victim of some bad bounces, but he never really looked comfortable throughout the two games IMO.

Antigonowhere

Mar 10, 2016
The Little Vatican
It's in X's best interest for this series to go 3 games so Iafrate's suspension is up before Nationals, so Wednesday's game could be interesting.

To their advantage or not, in your opinion, it didn't exactly work out that way.

There were some X bounces on Wednesday, sure, but there was also a team that wanted it and got it. Credit where credit is due.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
SFX had a bit of puck luck, but had better special teams in this game. You got the sense that they Really wanted the win.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I hate to ever say a team "wanted it more" than the other...because obviously both teams really want to win, but Gardiner essentially said that in the paper today. He said something along the lines of "all (players) gave some, but only some gave all." I don't think he was too pleased with their effort, particularly in game 2.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Yup, welcome to the UNB forum. :laugh:

We used to have one Acadia fan who would post here. Haven't seen him in years.
There was that reporter from Moncton whose name I forget. Haven't heard from him this season. Island Huskie used to post here quite often. Haven't seen him in a while.

STU fans used to make the second largest contingent. They are no longer around for obvious reasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad