AUS 2015-16 Regular Season Thread

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
It all starts Thursday night with Les Aigles Blues hosting the Tommies.

Strange how the AUS has these two teams playing on Thursday while the rest of the league doesn't play until Saturday. Strange schedule this year.

You can say that again. I was looking at UNB's schedule and noticed that they play 7 home games between now and Nov 6... that's half their home games for the entire season within the first month. I know the AUS schedule isn't that extensive, but that still seems a bit odd.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Moncton 4 STU 1 - Quite a few penalties in this affair. Especially for the Tommies. They are going to have to stay out of the penalty box if they want to win games like this. Lemay stopped 33 of 34 shots for the win. Trudeau 31 of 35 for the loss.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
UNB 8 UPEI 2 - Score pretty much indicates how the game went. Panthers can play better but they didn't tonight.

STFX 3 Acadia 1 - X gets the road win in Wolfville. I can really see them battling the Axemen for that third spot in the conference.

SMU 4 Dal 1 - No surprise here.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
UNB 4 STFX 3 (ot) - Great competitive game tonight between X and the VReds. While X lost their two top scorers from last year their new recruits may make up for the loss. Wouldn't be surprised to see them in the top three of the AUS at the end of the season. VReds started out sloppy but took over in the last part of the game. Dominated overtime.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
According to the Gleaner, Philippe Trudeau has left St. Thomas to return home. Man, that team just can't catch a break...

Yeah, I pretty much pinned their only hopes of making the playoffs on him. Teichmann just looked terrible at times last year. They might be able to pick up another goalie at Xmas but it will probably be too late by then.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
UNB 4 STFX 3 (ot) - Great competitive game tonight between X and the VReds. While X lost their two top scorers from last year their new recruits may make up for the loss. Wouldn't be surprised to see them in the top three of the AUS at the end of the season. VReds started out sloppy but took over in the last part of the game. Dominated overtime.

And, in typical Thayer Doyle fashion, there were both calls and non-calls that left me shaking my head.

On a side note, has anyone else looked at the box score on www.atlanticuniversitysport.com? What a mess! They've got Beauvillier playing goal for UNB, both goalies apparently only played like 44 minutes, their penalties are messed up... I think the only thing they've got right is the score. They've even got StFX's with two PP goals in the second (05:20 and 08:45) but no penalties called in the period.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
And, in typical Thayer Doyle fashion, there were both calls and non-calls that left me shaking my head.

On a side note, has anyone else looked at the box score on www.atlanticuniversitysport.com? What a mess! They've got Beauvillier playing goal for UNB, both goalies apparently only played like 44 minutes, their penalties are messed up... I think the only thing they've got right is the score. They've even got StFX's with two PP goals in the second (05:20 and 08:45) but no penalties called in the period.

The box score for the game last week against UPEI was the same way too (although it looks like it is fixed now)....brutal by whoever is doing the LiveStats or responsible for uploading the boxscore throughout/after the game.

DravCat

Nov 26, 2014

Was at the unb game last night thought it was well officiated. The officials let the teams play and did not impact the game. One thing that is true about unb fans is that they are experts on the officiating and Win or lose they have to blame Doyle for something.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
It was well officiated I thought...maybe a play or two that I thought maybe should've been called but overall it was good..certainly better than most of his games that turn into gong shows.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Was at the unb game last night thought it was well officiated. The officials let the teams play and did not impact the game. One thing that is true about unb fans is that they are experts on the officiating and Win or lose they have to blame Doyle for something.

It was well officiated I thought...maybe a play or two that I thought maybe should've been called but overall it was good..certainly better than most of his games that turn into gong shows.

It was definitely one of the better games for Doyle, I'm not going to argue that. But I saw three stick infractions by StFX and one by UNB go completely ignored. I know they can't call everything, but we're talking about slashes and high sticks occurring in the defensive zone and resulting in the break of offense... those almost never go uncalled. The biggest one was the slash on Mignardi in the slot; you could've heard that from Oromocto.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
UNB 3 Dal 2 - Shots were 40-15 in favor of the VReds. Corbin Baes was the only reason this one was close. Didn't get to see much of him last year because he missed quite a few games due to injury but he comes from the WHL with an outstanding resume. Looks like a goalie who could have easily gone pro. Might replace Peters as the best goaltender in the AUS.

SMU 4 Moncton 3 - Les Aigles actually had the lead in this one up until halfway through the third when the Huskies scored two quick ones.

UPEI 5 STFX 3 - This score surprised me a bit considering how well X played Friday. Team might have been fatigued. New recruit Brandon Hope started in nets for X. Parks got the win. Might try and watch this one in the archives.

Acadia 4 STU 0 - I realize they just lost their number one goaltender but they just got shutout by the Axemen's backup Robert Steeves. Looks like it is going to be another one of those seasons for the Tommies.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I saw SMU-UdeM game. Very impressed with Moncton's speed. if not for a couple of miscues - goalie giving the puck to Greene for the shorty and a D-man a tad slow with the outlet pass allowing Duffy to knock it down and feed Beyers for the GWG - Moncton could have won this game. A good test for the Huskies. Moncton controlled play for half of the 1st period, then SMU took over. 2nd period was all Moncton and 3rd was all SMU. If they stay healthy, UdeM could be a top four team.

Edit: on a totally unrelated note, I was talking with Kyle McAllister Friday night. I hadn't seen him since we were celebrating the Gold Medal in Torino in 2007. We had a good chat about expectations for the team and he basically wants an honest effort every night, as all coaches do. He realizes that he's in tough and as STU improves, so do all the rest. Despite the 6-1 score, I got the impression watching them that if you were to take them lightly, you could get surprised. We ended our chat with my usual caveat: 'Who are you gonna beat out for that 6th spot?'

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I saw SMU-UdeM game. Very impressed with Moncton's speed. if not for a couple of miscues - goalie giving the puck to Greene for the shorty and a D-man a tad slow with the outlet pass allowing Duffy to knock it down and feed Beyers for the GWG - Moncton could have won this game. A good test for the Huskies. Moncton controlled play for half of the 1st period, then SMU took over. 2nd period was all Moncton and 3rd was all SMU. If they stay healthy, UdeM could be a top four team.

Well I have them slated for 6th but we will see. They are going to have to get wins for UPEI and X. They host the Panthers on Wednesday.

Speaking of the Panthers Marcus Power had a four point night Saturday night. Watched some of the game in the archives. Had a beautiful breakaway goal.
Would not be surprised to see him leading the league in scoring at some point.

Edit: on a totally unrelated note, I was talking with Kyle McAllister Friday night. I hadn't seen him since we were celebrating the Gold Medal in Torino in 2007. We had a good chat about expectations for the team and he basically wants an honest effort every night, as all coaches do. He realizes that he's in tough and as STU improves, so do all the rest. Despite the 6-1 score, I got the impression watching them that if you were to take them lightly, you could get surprised. We ended our chat with my usual caveat: 'Who are you gonna beat out for that 6th spot?'

When you were talking to him did you know about Trudeau leaving the team? A huge blow for the Tommies.

freddy123

Jun 30, 2013
Fredericton
When you were talking to him did you know about Trudeau leaving the team? A huge blow for the Tommies.

He would have known. According to the Gleaner (quoting McAllister) Trudeau told him Wednesday or Thursday (I can't remember which).

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
No I didn't. Actually had just seen Bruce Hallihan's Twitter post a few minutes earlier and didn't feel it was appropriate to ask about that.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Sounds like it will be the end of the month before the host for the 2017-18 University Cup is announced.

Obviously I am hoping for UNB but I actually won't be terribly disappointed if Toronto gets the nod. Lots to do in Toronto if your team gets eliminated.
(plus I have a free place to stay).

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
UNB 5 STU 1 - Game was never in doubt. Not too exciting even from a VReds perspective. They started the game with 5 Dmen and finished it with 4. Shots on goal actually weren't that lopsided outshooting the Tommies 31-21. Disappointing crowd of only 631.

Dalhousie 4 Acadia 3 (shootout) - Corbin Baes with another strong performance stopping 47 of 50. Franco with 2 goals for the Axeman including the tying goal with just 4 seconds left in the third. Backup Robert Steeves started again which leads me to believe that Glover might be hurt.

Moncton 4 UPEI 2 - Speaking of strong goaltending performances Les Aigles backup Brandon Thibeau stopped 50 of 52 against the Panthers. Parks took the loss allowing three goals on 19 shots.

STFX 5 SMU 3 - X scores 4 in the third to beat the Huskies who they outshot 38-32. Not too surprised. I was really impressed with X at UNB last weekend. Locke with a couple of more goals. Expecting big things from him this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->