AUS 2013-2014 Season Thread

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
And if you take out his two poor games, his stats would be skewed the opposite way... I'm not saying he's world class or the best in the AUS, but he has played amicably for UNB this year.

He wins the big games when he needs to - that's what matters - I don't care how he does it (unorthodox or not) :yo:

Not bad for a guy who use to see 40+ shots a game having to transition to seeing just 24.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
All-Stars

Now that the season has come to a close - it's time for the Playoffs and our favorite gripe - 'How could they pick him over him' All-Star selections.

Here are my selections:

MVP - L Heelis (ACD)
Coach - D. Burns (ACD)
Rookie - P. Maillet (UNB)

First Team
F - L Heelis (ACD), C. Culligan (UNB) & E. Faille (UdeM)
D - C Owens (ACD) & J. Doornbosch (SMU)
G - E. Mosher (ACD)

Second Team
F - M. Cazzola (ACD), N. MacNeil (UNB) & C. Desousa (UPEI)
D - R Traccitto (UPEI) & L. Jenner(ACD)
G - C. Lavigne (UNB)

Note: I think Thompson (ACD) should be selected, but with 5 Acadia players already - not likely. As for Charlie - no other goalie has more than 10 wins

Rookie Team
F - P. Maillet (UNB), Allain Saulnier (Moncton) & S. Beyers (SMU)
D - J. Murray (UNB) & G. Schemitsch (ACD)
G - J. Vienneau (UNB)

Note: I think Pegrave should be the second Dman, but I can't see them picking 4 UNB'ers. If they did - it would show how good their recruiting class is. Maillet and Murry could be 1st or 2nd Team selections.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I like most of your picks. MVP, Coach and Rookie I have no problem with. You could swap Culligan and Schemitsch and still be correct. But, I certainly lean towards Heelis.

All Rookie team: I like Petgrave over Murray.

1st and 2nd Teams are all good, but I would find a place for Alex Wall.

It is a trade-off as you know, so who can tell what will happen in the end.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I think both first round AUS are a real toss up. I'm going with Les Aigles and the Huskies but I wouldn't be surprised if the results differed.

X had a disappointing season considering their strong recruiting year. Most had them finishing second. I think they may be healthier than Moncton is has had some injury problems as of late. Still picking Les Aigles because I don't trust X to get things done.

I'm going with the Huskies because I have tremendous respect for the experience of that team. It could come down to a battle of the goaltenders between Savage and Peters. Not sure if Peters has recaptured his form from last year though.

Last edited:

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
I really think Gardiner MacDougall deserves a lot more credit this year than people are giving him. While Acadia had 18 returning players from their 3rd place team last year, UNB had only 12 returning players. In the 2nd half after a first game loss to St. FX, UNB had 13 wins in a row with a depleted roster while missing Houde Caron, Labardo, Carroll & Kewin. People also forget that UNB had a big turnover the year before as well.

Chris Culligan had Tyler Carroll as his left winger for only 3 or 4 games this season not counting Italy. He didn't have regular line mates until the last 7 or 8 games of the season so he had a tremendous season leading the team in scoring until the 2nd last game of the season.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
I really think Gardiner MacDougall deserves a lot more credit this year than people are giving him. While Acadia had 18 returning players from their 3rd place team last year, UNB had only 12 returning players. In the 2nd half after a first game loss to St. FX, UNB had 13 wins in a row with a depleted roster while missing Houde Caron, Labardo, Carroll & Kewin. People also forget that UNB had a big turnover the year before as well.

Chris Culligan had Tyler Carroll as his left winger for only 3 or 4 games this season not counting Italy. He didn't have regular line mates until the last 7 or 8 games of the season so he had a tremendous season leading the team in scoring until the 2nd last game of the season.

Good point considering the large turnover with UNB, Burns also did a good job in Acadia, but had a small turnover compared to Macdougall.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
"UNB had 13 wins in a row with a depleted roster while missing Houde Caron, Labardo, Carroll & Kewin. "

Other than Carroll replace those with Halley, Maillet, MacLise, Willick. I think UNB is OK.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Good point considering the large turnover with UNB, Burns also did a good job in Acadia, but had a small turnover compared to Macdougall.

Match up the new guys at UNB against the new guys at Acadia and tell me again how deprived the V-Reds are.

No offense to the Axemen players, but I suggest that UNB has better recruits overall.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
There's no question that UNB had a great recruiting group again but it takes time for all recruits to adjust to AUS play so I basically believe the more recruits the bigger the challenge for a coach.

When I mentioned a depleted roster I was talking numbers more than anything although there's no question that Carroll and Houde Caron would have played important roles.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
"UNB had 13 wins in a row with a depleted roster while missing Houde Caron, Labardo, Carroll & Kewin. "

Other than Carroll replace those with Halley, Maillet, MacLise, Willick. I think UNB is OK.

Willick is a very underrated addition to the team IMO. Good at both ends of the ice, and fast as heck!

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Match up the new guys at UNB against the new guys at Acadia and tell me again how deprived the V-Reds are.

No offense to the Axemen players, but I suggest that UNB has better recruits overall.[/

My point was that UNB had a larger turnover of players.
on the other hand, Labardo, didn't play period, Houde-Caron only played a hand full of games in the first half and was replaced. Carroll hasn't played any more than a couple of games and most likely won't play this year. Is Kewin hurt or is it a numbers game?

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com

Actually - it's his best season ever having reached 40 for the first time (previous seasons of 32, 38, 30 & 31pts)

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Carroll hasn't played any more than a couple of games and most likely won't play this year. Is Kewin hurt or is it a numbers game?

I believe we will see Carroll in the playoffs. As much as first place was important, the team had a bye already sewn up - I think with the way the team was playing - they were fine with leaving him out for the extra recovery time. He skated the warm-up vs STU but didn't play - he must have been close to coming back (at least for an easier opponent) to even try that. He might have hit a setback in his recover - time will tell.

Kewin is hurt (I don't know what the injury is though). This has given Willick some extra ice which is great.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
People forget that Antoine Houde Caron was off to the best start of his career. He started the year playing on the top line and had 5 points in his first two games before he missed the lineup for the 3rd game of the season. He did return later on but played only 4 more games in the first half.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Actually - it's his best season ever having reached 40 for the first time (previous seasons of 32, 38, 30 & 31pts)

Yup. Two behind Cazzola & Heelis for the AUS lead, and one behind Maillet for the UNB lead.

That line of Maillet-Culligan-Halley is something else, though. And when you're done dealing with them, you've got to worry about MacNeil-Braes-Nesbitt!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->