AUS 2013-2014 Season Thread

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
Hollywood3, Calgary and Alberta may not be as vulnerable if the AUS rep has to play without a depleted roster which is a very distinct possibility after 2 or 3 very tough AUS playoff series.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
In football, the eastern teams did not like the western use of junior football grads and changed the rules for football only.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Let's move on from the subject as other than acrimony it has little merit at this time.

Should it be addressed after the season at the regional, national or other levels we will revisit.

Thank you.

Canadiens1958

I'm good with that. Can we get the others to agree?

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Six games left in the AUS regular season. Acadia has 5 home games, UNB has 3 road games, including one in Freddy at the Grant Harvey Center. It may come Down to the final game in Acadia between The V-
Reds and the Axemen for home ice advantage,
Any report on Gaynor's status, is it a concussion from the X game? That could be a blow for sure.

For UNB, they have been playing the second half without Tyler Carroll, who is a game breaker. They will be better with him in the lineup for sure.
4-6 is a toss up , with the advantage going to the home ice teams in the short best of 3 series!

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Moncton has 5 'tough' games in the next 6. SMU, SFX, UPEI, UNB, ACA. Even Dal is not a given.
UPEI has Dal and STU plus ACA, SMU and SFX. The game with UdeM may be the deciding factor.
SMU looks like they're playing a bit better. Big test this weekend at UdeM and UNB. ACA and SFX at home and UPEI-STU on the road to close out the season. 5th place for sure with a chance at 4th should UPEI falter.
SFX is still a question mark. They have a good team, but don't win as often as they should. I think SFX will finish 6th.
ACA and UNB each have Dal-STU which I consider 'winnable' games and they each play UdeM and SMU. UNB gets SFX this weekend while ACA hosts UPEI. 1st place may be decided in the final game at Acadia.

Things may be a bit clearer after Saturday night.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
UPEI 5 ACA 2

Parks was the difference maker in this game, with 47 saves over 23 by Mosher.
Two softies by Mosher and overall sloppy play by the Axemen helped UPEI get the win. I see Acadia a bit and can't remember a game where they had so many missed passes, unforced turnovers and overall lack of attention to detail. But, with all of that they still managed to get a lot of shots. UPEI only dressed 14 skaters while the Axemen had a full complement. Gaynor did not play for ACA.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Dal wins!!! Dal wins!!!

Tigers over Panthers 7-3. Pretty entertaining tilt tonight in Halifax. Dal chased Parks and then proceeded to put 3 or 4 past Savage. UPEI left both goalies high and dry on several occasions. Nadeau again was solid in goal for the Tigers. Dal had 16 and UPEI had 15 skaters as the injury bug takes its toll. Dal players looked like they were playing for next years contracts as they played the best game I have seen in a while. Everyone got points this weekend except the Huskies.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Dal wins!!! Dal wins!!!

Tigers over Panthers 7-3. Pretty entertaining tilt tonight in Halifax. Dal chased Parks and then proceeded to put 3 or 4 past Savage. UPEI left both goalies high and dry on several occasions. Nadeau again was solid in goal for the Tigers. Dal had 16 and UPEI had 15 skaters as the injury bug takes its toll. Dal players looked like they were playing for next years contracts as they played the best game I have seen in a while. Everyone got points this weekend except the Huskies.

13 goals in two games for the Tigers. Pretty impressive. Surprised that they managed to get 7 on the Panthers goalies. Noticed that there were a lot of misconducts given out at the end of the game. Anything suspension worthy?

Moncton beats X and moves 5 points ahead of the Panthers for third. UNB remains 2 points up on Acadia for top spot. X with a one point lead over SMU who they will play next Saturday.

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
No suspensions. A Panther player gave a Dal guy a whack just as the time expired. Play was in the Dal end. Kind of dumb with no time left and down 4 goals. The 10 guys on the ice milled about with a couple of face washes and pushes and shoves. After it was over both teams stood around their benches trying to figure out if they should shake hands. In the end they did.
As for 7 goals, Dal had some real good chances because of bad play by UPEI. Too many times a Dal guy would be untouched and score. After the 7th goal, Savage threw his water bottle towards the UPEI bench and yelled something 'uncomplimentary'.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
If UNB and Acadia were to end up tied in points, what is the first tie-breaker? Number of wins or head-to-head?

1) Head-2-Head record
2) Goal Differential in Head-2-Head games

not sure what happens after this.

So, if UNB/Acadia go to the wire:
with a 2pt UNB lead...
... Acadia wins in regulation, the H2H goes to Acadia at 3-1-0-0 vs 1-2-0-1 for UNB
... Acadia wins in OT/SO, UNB remains first with 1pt awarded for an OT/SO loss
... UNB wins in Regulation or OT/SO - UNB remains in 1st (with a larger lead).

with a 1pt UNB lead...
... Acadia wins in regulation, Acadia takes 1st by 1pt
... Acadia wins in OT/SO, the teams are tied as UNB received 1pt for the OT/SO loss. H2H goes to Acadia with 3-1-0-0 record vs UNB at 1-1-2
... UNB wins in Regulation or OT/SO - UNB remains in 1st (with a larger lead).

with UNB/Acadia tied ..
... Acadia wins in regulation or OT/SO, Acadia is 1st
... UNB wins in Regulation or OT/SO - UNB is 1st

with a 1pt Acadia lead ..
... UNB wins in Regulation - UNB is 1st by 1pt
... UNB wins in OT/SE - teams are tied with pts, teams are tied with H2H (2-1-0-1 each) but Acadia has a +3 GDiff coming into the game which drops to +2, so Acadia is 1st.

with a 2pt Acadia lead ..
... UNB wins in Regulation - teams are tied for pts, but UNB's record is 2-1-0-1 while Acadia is 2-2-0-0 - UNB is 1st.
... UNB wins in OT/SE - Acadia ist 1st having received 1pt for OT/SO loss.

So - the winner in regulation is the pennant winner. If you need OT/SO, that can make things interesting in some scenarios

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
ACA 5 SMU 2.

Good crowd for this game in support of Leukemia Society. Acadia came out strong and had the Huskies on their heels but Peters made a couple of saves to keep it scoreless. 5:35 into the period, a pane of glass came out and resulted in a long delay. When play resumed SMU had recovered and had a few chances of their own with Doornbosch scoring a weak goal from just inside the blueline. Menard made it 2-0 for SMU early in the 2nd but the Axemen rattled off 5 in a row. Thompson has the prettiest goal as he dangled past the poke check of Peters to score the winner. The second half of the game was mostly all Acadia as they used their speed to pressure SMU. A couple of ill timed penalties didn't help the Huskies cause. The Axemen were full value for the win. With UNB also winning, the final game next Saturday is looking like the one to decide 1st place. Dal visits Acadia this Saturday while UNB hosts UdeM.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Busy weekend for the discipline committee, Thomas and Saab from Friday nights game, and then Beukeboom from STU tonight in PEI, and Tipoff and Maschmeyer from the STFX - SMU game.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Was nice to see Carroll take the warm-up tonight, not sure if I missed it or not, but where is Kewin? I know Labardo left on his own, and Houte-Caron graduated, but no idea where Kewin has been.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Was nice to see Carroll take the warm-up tonight, not sure if I missed it or not, but where is Kewin? I know Labardo left on his own, and Houte-Caron graduated, but no idea where Kewin has been.

I wasn't there for warm-up so that is good to hear...must mean he is getting pretty close to returning.

Seeing as how they went with only 17 skaters tonight I have to assume Kewin is also injured??

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
I wasn't there for warm-up so that is good to hear...must mean he is getting pretty close to returning.

Seeing as how they went with only 17 skaters tonight I have to assume Kewin is also injured??

Looking back through the game sheets, the last game that he was in was the exhibition game in Orono vs Maine. He played the first two periods and there is no mention of him in the third. Not real sure, you would think that if he was available he would have been in the lineup tonight.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
UPEI moves just one point back of Moncton for 3rd place. SMU also moves within one point X for 5th spot.

Unless an upset happens Friday night it looks like the Acadia v UNB game on Saturday will be for first overall. It has been a long time since the last game of the regular season has meant anything for the VReds.

SuperSquirrel

Aug 28, 2008
UPEI moves just one point back of Moncton for 3rd place. SMU also moves within one point X for 5th spot.

Unless an upset happens Friday night it looks like the Acadia v UNB game on Saturday will be for first overall. It has been a long time since the last game of the regular season has meant anything for the VReds.

This is where I get confused...

Let's suppose UNB and Acadia both win their next game, UNB will be sitting with 23 wins (47 points) and Acadia 21 wins (45 points). If Acadia wins their last game against UNB both teams will have 47 points (assuming regulation wins).

So, which team gets 1st in this situation? I would think total number of wins would be the clincher for UNB because they'll have 23 to Acadia's 22. However, I know some have mentioned that it will be the head-to-head record between the 2 teams, which means Acadia would clinch 1st because they would have beaten UNB 3 out of 4 times.

So, which is it?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Head to head is the 1st criteria in case of a tie.

I assume you mean Dal upsetting UNB. A Moncton win in Acadia would not be an upset.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->