AUS 2013-2014 Season Thread

Big Bad Jon

Jan 29, 2012
Freddy Beach
Huge win for UNB tonight. Down 3-2 in the 3rd, UNB storms back with 3 straight to win it in front of a full house. The race is on for 1st in the AUS!

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
That would be one **** of a seven game series to watch, not sure there would be many bodies standing at the end of it. Great game, fun game to watch tonight. A game that could have gone either way. :yo:

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Great game at the AUC. Sell out with 3350 official attendance. Lots of lead changes. Playoff intensity. And that huge shorthanded goal by Chris Culligan for the insurance goal, his 50th regular season goal.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Good tilt, UPEI over SMU 3-2. Panthers were physical and out work Huskies for most of the game. SMU had several good chances on PP but couldn't finish. Savage and Peters both solid in goal. Good weekend for UPEI getting 4 points on the Mainland.

Good push back by Acadia in Moncton to salvage a point. Have not looked at box score yet.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Good tilt, UPEI over SMU 3-2. Panthers were physical and out work Huskies for most of the game. SMU had several good chances on PP but couldn't finish. Savage and Peters both solid in goal. Good weekend for UPEI getting 4 points on the Mainland.

Good push back by Acadia in Moncton to salvage a point. Have not looked at box score yet.

Shows you how good the AUS is this year when a team like SMU is in 6th place.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Probably looking at Sunday for a make up game?
Are the Huskies healthy?

They could play Saturday night as both teams are off, but that would mean back-to-back games. Sunday is a good possibility.

D'Orazio has a hand injury from FISU. Marchand got banged up against UPEI on the weekend. Not sure of his status.

Edit: Game will be played Tuesday 28 Jan.

Last edited:

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
AUS playoffs

Outside of Acadia and UNB, it will be a real dogfight to secure home ice in a best of 3 first round series.
I wouldn't t want to be the road team in that short of a playoff series. Moncton has been playing well as of late and are sitting in good shape, but that can change in a weekend. X and UPEI have been very inconsistent, SMU dissapointing, but if it was one team that I had the chance to avoid, it would be the Huskies.
They could be a sleeping giant ,if they get things in gear. They are experienced and lost little from the team that captured a silver medal in Saskatoon.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
A couple of 3-0 comebacks. UNB recovers from a 3 - zip hole to win 6-4 over STU and SMU gets a shootout victory over SFX after being down 3.

Acadia over Dal 7-2 and UPEI over UdeM 2-1.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Acadia wins again. 4-3 over SFX. Axemen scored twice in the first 4 minutes and it looked like a blowout, but X did not fold. X-Men won the second period 2-1 and the teams split the third with a goal apiece. SFX put in a solid effort in the second half of the game with Owsley keeping them in the game. Mosher was steady for the Axemen and made a great glove save on Bast in the 3rd. Acadia dressed 17 skaters and lost Joe Gaynor half way through the 2nd period when he was rocked by Struthers who received a major for hit to the head. While it was a shoulder check, Gaynor was slightly bent over and his head took the brunt of the hit. There was no call initially and Gaynor was out cold on the ice for several minutes while the officials conferred. I'm not sure if a linesman made the call after the fact, but Struthers got tossed. Gaynor was helped off the ice and looked pretty wobbly. Slaney was whistled for a hit to the head minor in the third period; a call that also could have been 5 minutes.
Outside of the headshots it was a pretty entertaining game.

Big Bad Jon

Jan 29, 2012
Freddy Beach
So thanks to new rules the top two teams in the AUS can't field a full team...brilliant...this stupid roster cap better either be adopted by the entire CIS or be dropped after this year

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
According to AUS Fan's roster breakdown Acadia does have a couple spots open and a couple players who are on the team and have yet to play (MacIntyre and Girman, although he is injured I believe), so if that is still the case than playing with less than a full roster was their own choice.

The announcers did say that Beaton is expected back for them next weekend.

For all of the complaining about the roster cap, remember that UNB is in the position they are because 2 players left the team and not because they are decimated by injuries.

Having said that, I still think what they should do is let teams carry as many players as they want, but if any player besides the 22 on the original/season opening roster wants to play it means someone off of that original roster can't play for the rest of the season. That way you could replace guys who suffer season-ending injuries or leave school (since they obviously won't be playing the rest of the year). I don't think teams would abuse it since how many coaches would want to tell a player that was on the team since Sept. that he won't be able to play the rest of the year because of a new recruit? I think it would only be used in extreme circumstances.

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
C'mon guys. We've beat this topic to death. A 22 man roster gives you 4 players to platoon in and out of the line-up. Yes, it's unfortunate that 2 players at UNB left mid season, but I would expect that the coaching staff should have known that in September.
In the case of Houdie, you KNOW that he graduates in December. Supposedly he tried to get into a Graduate Program at UNB and could not, therefore he left for another school to pursue his studies. Labardo is not playing for whatever reason (assuming he is really gone). Factor in a couple of injuries and you have a situation where you can`t find enough players. Having 6 or 7 guys in the stands waiting for a `season ending injury' is not a solution.
If these 2 players had not left the team and everyone else is healthy, the talk here would be about how Houdie or Wililck can't get in a game because of too many players and how well the team is playing without them, etc.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
In AUS standings, Dal is out of the playoffs, again. STU is almost done. UNB and Acadia need to net 3 points on UdeM and 2 points on UPEI to clinch a bye. The rest can finish anywhere between 4th and 6th. Any of the first round teams can win a short series. Teams like SMU and SFX are interesting because they have a wealth of talent but don't display it most nights. UPEI have Savage and a great work ethic; UdeM have solid goaltending with Lemay with Faille and Saulnier having good seasons. Another weekend may clear up the standings or perhaps not......

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
I really liked UNB Bruins Fan's idea but it just makes too much sense for the AUS, I'm afraid because trying to have full rosters playing wasn't the real intent of this rule.

AUS Fan, it has been debated over and over again for very valid reasons. It has potentially hamstrung the AUS winner this year when Calgary and Alberta are very strong and deep. Remember also that the AUS coaches wanted a 21 man roster if I'm not mistaken

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I really liked UNB Bruins Fan's idea but it just makes too much sense for the AUS, I'm afraid because trying to have full rosters playing wasn't the real intent of this rule.

AUS Fan, it has been debated over and over again for very valid reasons. It has potentially hamstrung the AUS winner this year when Calgary and Alberta are very strong and deep. Remember also that the AUS coaches wanted a 21 man roster if I'm not mistaken

Alberta and Calgary are vulnerable.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink

My point exactly. It Has been debated over and over again, and, when the debate has ended the roster cap remains at 22 skaters. The only people who are protesting this rule are UNB fans because it affects your team directly by not allowing Ben to dress. I get all that; I really do. Had UNB Not 'stockpiled' players over the past couple of years, had UNB Not done some of the 'questionable' things they did over the past couple of years, this rule would NOT be in place.
No, I'm NOT going to outline what is questionable. The point has been made more than once that the other coaches don't like some things that happen in Freddybeach hockey.

It is what it is. The horse is dead. Stop flogging the poor animal.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Roster Limits

Let's move on from the subject as other than acrimony it has little merit at this time.

Should it be addressed after the season at the regional, national or other levels we will revisit.

Thank you.

Canadiens1958

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
My point exactly. It Has been debated over and over again, and, when the debate has ended the roster cap remains at 22 skaters. The only people who are protesting this rule are UNB fans because it affects your team directly by not allowing Ben to dress. I get all that; I really do. Had UNB Not 'stockpiled' players over the past couple of years, had UNB Not done some of the 'questionable' things they did over the past couple of years, this rule would NOT be in place.
No, I'm NOT going to outline what is questionable. The point has been made more than once that the other coaches don't like some things that happen in Freddybeach hockey.

It is what it is. The horse is dead. Stop flogging the poor animal.

Actually we have been complaining about the rule since it was passed, and the situation with Ben is just reminding us how stupid a rule it really is. Please name me one other instance of a rule deliberately brought in because of ONE team (any CIS sport), that was not enforced throughout the entire CIS? Bet you can't, because no other conference is such shortsighted to allow some unhappy coaches to gang together and bring in a rule that could come back to bite even themselves in the backsides!

Also, the reason for the rule has not achieved the desired results, so what will they do next year, say 'No more UNB recruiting west of Toronto'? Highly doubt it, but if the unhappy coaches start complaining to Pierre Arsernault again, who knows what they will come up with this time.

Like I have said, I think most of us would not have an issue if the rule was either applied to the entire CIS or had some flexibility to it when it came to injuries. But when you create and launch a rule totally directed at ONE team it does seem unfair to it's fans. Eventually, I suspect that it will come to bite the backside of one of the other team's and then you will see some more whining about how unfair the rule is.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad