AUS 2013-2014 Season Thread

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Following up on what AUS Fan reported, the Twitter account for SMU has announced the postponement of tonight's UNB-SMU game. No word yet on when it will be rescheduled.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Following up on what AUS Fan reported, the Twitter account for SMU has announced the postponement of tonight's UNB-SMU game. No word yet on when it will be rescheduled.

What about the two UPEI v Moncton games?

This looks like a record year for postponements in the AUS.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
What about the two UPEI v Moncton games?

This looks like a record year for postponements in the AUS.

I think they played one of the games before the break, but cant load AUS or CIS sites to confirm. They are playing on Jan 15th for a make-up.

Edit: Nope. UPEI has only played 12 games, so they have 2 to make up with UdeM.

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
In the night of postponements the only game saw Acadia thrash STU 9-1. Tommies coach Pat Powers was ejected late in the third. I'm guessing a suspension will follow. Heelis with another hat trick.
Axemen open up a three point lead on first place.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Around the league on Saturday night:

ACA 5 UPEI 2
UdeM 5 SMU 3
SFX 7 UNB 2
STU 6 DAL 4

Axemen keep rolling on the Island.
SMU looking disinterested in Stienburgs first game back.
Can't recall anyone scoring 7 on the Red Army.
Tigers squander a 3-1 first period lead, as Thommies score 3 in the third.
I can't recall when anyone scored 7 on the Red Army.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I can't recall when anyone scored 7 on the Red Army.

I was thinking the same thing...but UPEI beat them 8-7 a couple years back in a game UPEI had a 6-1 lead at one point only to see UNB come back to tie it 7-7 before giving up a late goal.

The 5 goal loss is more surprising...I think the last time they lost by that many against a CIS team was 2006.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
I was thinking the same thing...but UPEI beat them 8-7 a couple years back in a game UPEI had a 6-1 lead at one point only to see UNB come back to tie it 7-7 before giving up a late goal.

The 5 goal loss is more surprising...I think the last time they lost by that many against a CIS team was 2006.
I think X is underrated, UNB needs to get thier act together and Acadia is the team to beat!
This is going to be a very competitive playoff year, that looks like it will have to go through Wolfville.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
UNB outscored 12-3 in past 2 conference games, been a long long time since a 2 game stench like that

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I can't figure STFX out. They have a great team on paper. They have beaten both Acadian and UNB (in a blow out). Yet they lose to teams like Dal and STU. It will be interesting to see how they do Saturday night against the Axemen.

The most important game tomorrow is going to be between the Panthers and the Tommies because it has real playoff implications. STU is only four points back of UPEI who have two games in hand. To realistically have a shot at making the playoffs they have to win Saturday.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
No Carroll for UNB tonight (assume he is injured again)...just seems like one of those years where he isn't ever going to be fully healthy.

He is still feeling the affects of the hit at the University games, really hope that they shut him down till he is 100% healthy. They will need him healthy for the playoffs.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Acadia over SMU 5-1. The Axemen pretty well had their way most of the game. A 3 goal flurry over a 1 minute span in the 2nd period (ACA,SMU, ACA) seemed to sap the energy from the Huskies. SMU was missing D'Orazio and Johnston (injuries) and Bloodoff (family matter). Mosher was solid in goal for Acadia, while Peters kept the score respectable with several good saves. Acadia's top line was a threat the entire game.

Don't feel sorry for the Huskies. They have a very good team that has not found their way, yet. A young defence, missing D'Orazio has been the difference in recent games. Stickland just returned from injury last night and is not yet in game shape. Getting Johnston and D'Orazio back will help them. Barring a total collapse they will make the playoffs and could surprise some if they can find their game.

Big Bad Jon

Jan 29, 2012
Freddy Beach
Is UNB / Moncton game a go tonight?....road conditions are aweful in the province and the TCH has been closed a few times between the cities.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
UNB-UdeM game has been postponed to tomorrow at the same time due to the weather, according to the Aigles Bleus Twitter account.

Aigles Bleus ‏@AiglesBleus
À noter, le match de hockey des Aigles Bleus de ce soir 19h contre @VarsityReds est remis à demain même heure en raison de la température.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Playoffs

Acadia is the first team to clinched a playoff spot. They sit 20pts ahead of STU with 20pts on the table, but they have 3 wins over STU to take the tie-breaker.

UNB is likely next - they clinch once STU is unable to match UNB's next win.

As for bye's - with a 10pt gap between #2 UNB and #3 SFX, we will need to wait for at least 5 more games (leaving 5 games to play and 10 pts).

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
UdeM with the 4-3 OT win on the Island. Les Aigles were without Faille and Quesnel among others. They only had 15 skaters dressed.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Maine defeats X 4-1 in front of 3,600 in Orono. Shots were 37-29 in favour of the Black Bears, who are enjoying a turn around year with a 11-7 overall record in the NCAA. They will host New Brunswick next Tuesday.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Big night tonight. We will find out if Acadia will clinch first place or if UNB is going to take it to the end of the season. Tommies are four points behind SMU. If they don't beat the Huskies tonight they are probably out of the playoff picture.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
A win tonight won't clinch first place for Acadia. It may widen the lead over UNB, but that's all. Both teams will have 9 games to play.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Big night tonight. We will find out if Acadia will clinch first place or if UNB is going to take it to the end of the season. Tommies are four points behind SMU. If they don't beat the Huskies tonight they are probably out of the playoff picture.

Too soon
You're assuming there are no upsets the rest of the way, which might be a bit presumptuous with 9 games to go after this. However, I agree that this is a big game for UNB - even just to prove that they can win against a tough team at home.

'y' Clinches Playoff
Acadia has clinched a playoff spot already, even if the AUS site hasn't identified it - they are 20pts up on STU with 20pts on the table and they have the tie-breaker with 3 wins already.

STU
Agree about STU - they have to win this game to cut the gap to 2pts then they have a real chance at getting spot #6. STU's last game of the year is at home vs SMU - this might become very important. They have two loses in their series so far and with such bad scores, even if they win both remaining games they will lose the second tie-breaker so they will need to be at least within 1pt by this game to win spot #6 outright with a regulation win. I think it's all moot if they lose tonight's game (it means they need to upset UdeM, SFX or PEI to get an extra win).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->