AUS 2013-2014 Season Thread

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
STU has added former Acadie-Bathurst Titan Matthew Bissonnette...he put up well over a PPG his last two years of junior. Should be a really nice addition for STU...definitely a guy with the type of pedigree they haven't had in a number of years.

http://stutommies.com/

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Huge win for SMU tonight 4-2 over UPEI. With Anthony Peters still out and Curtis Black in Newfoundland doing Med school interviews, SMU went with Anthony Terenzio who has not played a meaningful game in some time. He looked a bit nervous in the 1st period as UPEI scored twice. SMU came out in the 2nd with more effort and got 4. They weathered a 3rd period storm for the win.
There were several delays during the game to repair the glass in one end and re-do the post holes on both nets. A more serious delay occurred with about 4 1/2 minutes left in the 1st period when Lucas Bloodoff checked Jordan Mayer and was assessed a boarding major and game misconduct. Mayer lay on the ice for 25-30 minutes as the medical staff from both teams got him on the spinal board. He was taken by ambulance to hospital. From my vantage point he was conscious and moving his limbs. In addition to Peters, SMU was without Stickland and MacKinnon.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Huge win for SMU tonight 4-2 over UPEI. With Anthony Peters still out and Curtis Black in Newfoundland doing Med school interviews, SMU went with Anthony Terenzio who has not played a meaningful game in some time. He looked a bit nervous in the 1st period as UPEI scored twice. SMU came out in the 2nd with more effort and got 4. They weathered a 3rd period storm for the win.
There were several delays during the game to repair the glass in one end and re-do the post holes on both nets. A more serious delay occurred with about 4 1/2 minutes left in the 1st period when Lucas Bloodoff checked Jordan Mayer and was assessed a boarding major and game misconduct. Mayer lay on the ice for 25-30 minutes as the medical staff from both teams got him on the spinal board. He was taken by ambulance to hospital. From my vantage point he was conscious and moving his limbs. In addition to Peters, SMU was without Stickland and MacKinnon.

Wow. Huge win indeed. So who was the backup goalie for the game?

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Acadia 4 UNB 3 (so) - One of the better games you are going to see. It definitely had a playoff intensity to it. There were not a ton of shots but a ton of scoring chances. Especially in the third period and overtime. Axemen get their first win at the AUC since 2006. They move within one point of the VReds for first place.

STFX 6 ST 5 (ot) - Tough loss for the Tommies as the X-men scored twice in the final 3 minutes to tie the game.

Moncton 7 Tigers 0 - Same old for the Tigers. Les Aigles backup Jonathan Connelly with the shutout.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Big win for Dal over SMU tonight by a 3-1 score. Nadeau was solid in goal for the Tigers. SMU looked like a team that expected to be handed 2 points by virtue of playing Dal.
Losses like this can come back to haunt you when you are looking for home ice in the playoffs.

Congrats to STU for their win at UNB.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Big win for Dal over SMU tonight by a 3-1 score. Nadeau was solid in goal for the Tigers. SMU looked like a team that expected to be handed 2 points by virtue of playing Dal.
Losses like this can come back to haunt you when you are looking for home ice in the playoffs.

I think us UNB fans can relate to that last point. Three straight home games against Acadia/Dal/STU and only go 1-1-1....gotta do better than that...especially when the one win was pretty underwhelming.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I think us UNB fans can relate to that last point. Three straight home games against Acadia/Dal/STU and only go 1-1-1....gotta do better than that...especially when the one win was pretty underwhelming.

You can say that again. They had their hands full with the winless Tigers, then got beat by the 2nd worst team in the conference.

They did get robbed of at least one goal tonight, though. Braes's game tying goal in the third got called off for "goaltender interference" when MacNeil got shoved into Groenheyde by a STU defender.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
You can say that again. They had their hands full with the winless Tigers, then got beat by the 2nd worst team in the conference.

They did get robbed of at least one goal tonight, though. Braes's game tying goal in the third got called off for "goaltender interference" when MacNeil got shoved into Groenheyde by a STU defender.

Probably a legit goal but the refs in this league have been quick to call goaltender interference the last few seasons. The big picture is that they have played 5 straight bad periods of hockey.

I see the Moncton - UPEI game was cancelled because of high winds on Confederation Bridge. That is the second game in a row cancelled between the two teams. I wonder if the AUS will try to squeeze one in before the end of the first half? We haven't even hit winter yet so it might be a good idea.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Though their play has been less than stellar the last three games, they certainly haven't been helped any with the ref's. For some reason they think that the people have come to see them, the first non-goal where they said the net was off, the red light was on before the player knocked it off, and the second was just a bad call.
Good on STU, and more so Groenheyde, what a solid goaltender!

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Hard to find a spot to fit in an extra game this half unless they play in December. 2nd half is shorter and they already have 1 game to make up.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Good tilt tonight with Acadia winning over Dal 4-2. The Axemen had several good chances to put the game away early but Vye kept the Tigers in the game. Vandall skated for the first time this season and looked OK. Cazzola-Heelis-Thompson line was flying for Acadia tonight. Glover got the win for the Axemen. SFX @ SMU Saturday night.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
SMU over SFX 6-4.
Peters, in his first game of the season, looked OK. SMU held the edge for most of the 1st and 2nd periods and looked to ease up a bit in the third as SFX pushed back hard. I'm thinking that if SFX had played the first 20 min the way they played the last 20, it may have been a different result.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
UNB 5 UPEI 3 - The V-Reds spotted the Panthers a 2 goal lead early in the first before scoring give straight. Parks got the start in net over Savage which was a little surprising. Lavinge with the win.

Moncton 9 STU 2 - Les Aigles made up for their poor performance on Friday by dominating the Tommies.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
The Panthers are in Moncton tonight to makeup for the game missed back on November 1st. Considering the inclement weather we are having it wouldn't surprise me if this one got cancelled too. Hoping for the best though.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Yep, the game was cancelled. I wonder if the rules would allow them to play on December 1st?
It would be best for them to get at least one makeup game before the second half.

Huskies atoned for their last game against the Tigers with a 9-3 win. X get their biggest win of the year beating the Axemen in overtime.

Acadia and UNB tied for first.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
My understanding is that nothing is stopping UdeM and UPEI from trying to schedule a makeup game in December ... well other than Mother Nature who has an obvious hate-on for them playing each other. Maybe they should try for a neutral site game? :)

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
They would need to get a game in fairly quickly, with the FISU team leaving a week after the 1st half ends. The bridge problem is easily solved by taking the bus to the bridge and then hitching a ride to the other side where a 2nd bus is waiting. Repeat the process after the game in Moncton.

I think people like myself and 'Foyle should run this league. :sarcasm:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
UNB over Dal 3-0. Wendall Vye was the difference in this game. UNB did not look sharp at times, but some credit has to go to Dal for trying to clog things up. Tigers with a 14 skater lineup tonight and they looked tired as the game wore on.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
SMU beat STU 2-1 tonight. It kind of got lost in the whole UNB/STU streak but as far as I can tell SMU has now won 26 straight regular season games over St. Thomas, dating back to the last meeting of the 2006-07 season (STU also beat them in the playoffs that year).

I don't know about any exhibition games that may have taken place in that time though....

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
SMU beat STU 2-1 tonight. It kind of got lost in the whole UNB/STU streak but as far as I can tell SMU has now won 26 straight regular season games over St. Thomas, dating back to the last meeting of the 2006-07 season (STU also beat them in the playoffs that year).

I don't know about any exhibition games that may have taken place in that time though....

From what I read in the paper it was a very tough loss for the Tommies. Coach Powers said the two goals in 16 seconds were the only two mistakes they made all game.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Acadia 5 UNB 1 - The Axemen winning the game isn't surprising but the score certainly is. Even more surprising were the shots 43-28 in favor of the V-Reds. I think it has been a few seasons since the V-Reds lost a regular season game by 4 goals. With the win the Axmen move into first place to end the first half.

STU 5 STFX 4 - Big home victory for the Tommies to end the first half. Looked like a rough night for Owsley in goal giving up 5 goals on 16 shots. I'm too lazy to do the research but I think the Tommies have had more success against X than against any other team the past few seasons.

UPEI 5 SMU 3 - Panthers get an important two points to remain 4 points up on STU for the last playoff spot. Christopher Desousa with the hat trick for the Panthers. Wayne Savage gets the win again. SMU remains tied with Moncton for 4th place.

Moncton 5 Dal 2 - Les Aigles backup Jonathan Connelly gets his second win of the season. Tigers finish the fist half with only the one victory. I don't know if it is a typo but they have Danny Chiasson of Les Aigles scorin a mere 3 seconds into the 2nd period. How does that happen?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Shots were 43-28 in favor of Acadia. The shot clock at Acadia sometimes does a "double-click" on home team chances, but Acadia did have more opportunities than UNB.
The V-Reds were in the game until Andersons shorthanded goal. A 2-on-1 with Heelis and it appeared that Lavigne was cheating a bit towards the pass which gave Anderson the opening. That seemed to deflate them. UNB were rather loose with the puck at times because of the pressure from Acadia. On the Thomas-Brown fight: Travis Randell made a play at the Acadia blue line and continued up the ice. Thomas, from my vantage point in the press box, came off the UNB bench and made a beeline directly across the ice and hit Randell near center ice a couple of seconds after he had passed the puck. The hit itself was "clean" (shoulder to chest), but the timing was bad. No call on the play. Brown immediately jumped Thomas, the gloves came off and they rolled around the ice and each threw a couple of punches. In a 5-1 game with less than 5 minutes remaining, I question the need for that play. I would like to see the video to determine the time difference and if it may have been charging. All in all, Acadia was the better team in this game.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
After reading the CIS Blog's story on log5 predictions of the OUA Men's and Women's Basketball standings - I did some digging and performed the same analysis on the 2nd half of the AUS Men's Hockey schedule.

The results are as follows with the spot and that team's predicted finish

log5-table-2014.jpg

So, ...
- ACD & UNB are pretty solid for #1 and #2
- STU & DAL are pretty solid for #7 and #8
- STU does have a 13% chance at making the play-offs, probably their best chance in years. If they do - it will likely be at the expense of SMU.
- UdeM has the best chance to finish 3rd
- UPEI is a crap-shoot, they are equally capable of finishing anywhere from 3rd to 6th.

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Dal @ UPEI has been postponed for tonight. Add another game to UPEI to make up. Acadia went to STU last night to avoid the storm. I'm assuming UNB and UdeM did the same for SMU and SFX games.

Edit: Just got word that the Forum is closed, so no UNB-SMU tonight. UNB is in town. This is good news for SMU, given how poorly they played against Guelph. Gives them more time to prepare.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->