Confirmed with Link: Aube-Kubel signs (1 yr./$700K, two-way)

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
we have done nothing in free agency....zero....

maxresdefault.jpg

kostas

Jul 18, 2018
I love the sarcasm around this signing. For example, 'flyers overpaid by xx amount'. It's a two-way deal so the money only matters if he's playing in the nhl, as his ahl salary will be a small fraction of that

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Glad he didn't get $725,000 so we don't have to endure 20 pages of the "overpayment".

He should be the 13th forward assuming Frost or some other kid grabs that last top 9 spot. Let him get in games when injuries occur or b2b splitting games with Pitlick.
I think I was spot on. Of course they thought signing Stewart was the better option....

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Watching NAK the last couple games, you can see why he didn't stick before.

He still can't finish to save his life, but he's got a lot more jump than last year, I think some players are intimated their first shot or two at the NHL and stop playing their game - his game is skate hard, hit people and bring a lot of energy - you don't need to play 15 minutes a night to show that, it should be evident the first time you hit the ice. Play every shift like it could be your last, because for marginal players, that's the literal truth.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think I was spot on. Of course they thought signing Stewart was the better option....

No, they thought benching Stewart (has only played 13 games) was a better idea, and having NAK go back to LHV to play on a regular basis.
You don't put young players in the press box to fester.
If you replace Stewart, it would be with someone like Andreoff who has no upside.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
No, they thought benching Stewart (has only played 13 games) was a better idea, and having NAK go back to LHV to play on a regular basis.
You don't put young players in the press box to fester.
If you replace Stewart, it would be with someone like Andreoff who has no upside.
Yeah...much better to risk losing NAK on waivers.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

You don't need to defend every move Mgt makes. If NAK played 16 games(Stewy's 13+3 of his own) this year so far AND got to practice with NHLers...is that so bad? It's stupid to DELIBERATELY make your team worse. NAK at age 23 AND having to clear waivers, 100% should have been the cheap 13th forward and Stewart should have never been signed. It's f***ing obvious....except to the "he will never play" crowd.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Such laughable drivel from the Hak-apologist who gets proved wrong over and over and over again. 40 minutes without a goal and he "can't finish to save his life". :biglaugh:

The only difference between NAK now and last year is that an actual NHL head coach is giving him a chance to play.

Do you watch NAK? Kid can skate, has an edge but doesn't have good hands.
We're not talking a 20 year old in his first taste of professional hockey here.
I've watched him in the AHL and the NHL and that has never changed, he scores off hustle (much like Bailey in the AHL), not skill.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

You don't need to defend every move Mgt makes. If NAK played 16 games(Stewy's 13+3 of his own) this year so far AND got to practice with NHLers...is that so bad? It's stupid to DELIBERATELY make your team worse. NAK at age 23 AND having to clear waivers, 100% should have been the cheap 13th forward and Stewart should have never been signed. It's ****ing obvious....except to the "he will never play" crowd.

NAK showed nothing last season or in TC to win a job.
They sent him back b/c he deserved to be sent back, Twarynski clearly outplayed him in TC and is 2 years younger.
When you're an energy guy, you have to show energy.
If NAK played like this in TC, he'd have made the team.

Stewart was kept for three reasons:
1) they hoped he could regain his legs and give them a big forward to fill the Simmonds role
2) he's a good clubhouse guy who won't whine when he's benched for 60 games
3) they didn't want to bury someone like NAK and then just let him go when he makes no progress sitting for an entire season

Once he showed he had lost it, he got buried behind Kase and NAK, much less Pitlick and Farabee out of position.
If he plays tonight, it's probably the last time this season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
NAK is playing much better than he did last year, so I suspect it was less the "additional AHL experience" than the message that he was running out of chances, and he'd better bring the same game to the NHL that he showed in the AHL on his good nights (I've seen him MIA in more than one AHL game).

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The only difference between NAK now and last year is that an actual NHL head coach is giving him a chance to play.
I remember he sat an entire period last season. No, not the 3rd period either. How do you mismanage your bench that badly that you can't even get a [young] player one shift in a period?

You don't need to defend every move Mgt makes. If NAK played 16 games(Stewy's 13+3 of his own) this year so far AND got to practice with NHLers...is that so bad? It's stupid to DELIBERATELY make your team worse. NAK at age 23 AND having to clear waivers, 100% should have been the cheap 13th forward and Stewart should have never been signed. It's ****ing obvious....except to the "he will never play" crowd.
The sad part is NAK is much better at the things Stewart was "supposed" to bring to the team. He actually has a physical presence and can keep opponents on their toes. His ceiling has been limited for some time now, but I never doubted he could provide some value at this level. He's a meat and potatoes guy, but he's not without some physical tools. Watch him skate with the puck. Typical 4th line players don't do that. He's even PKing in the NHL. Something they failed to even try at all in the AHL under Hextall's watch.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I remember he sat an entire period last season. No, not the 3rd period either. How do you mismanage your bench that badly that you can't even get a [young] player one shift in a period?

The sad part is NAK is much better at the things Stewart was "supposed" to bring to the team. He actually has a physical presence and can keep opponents on their toes. His ceiling has been limited for some time now, but I never doubted he could provide some value at this level. He's a meat and potatoes guy, but he's not without some physical tools. Watch him skate with the puck. Typical 4th line players don't do that. He's even PKing in the NHL. Something they failed to even try at all in the AHL under Hextall's watch.
Yeah I certainly defer to those of you that got to watch him in LV. And the things mentioned by the trusted group that I remember are:

very good at ES...then produced scoring info to prove it
baffled why he was not being used on the PK after being a good pker in the Q
used his size well, often walked the line when it came to hits and overstepping that line at times
good puck handler, doesn't panic
good skater
LIKES to hit

That certainly SOUNDS like what you want in a 4th liner. And that's why it seemed like an easy decision to have him as the #13 forward so you don't risk losing him, and then let him get in games when injuries occur...and I mentioned in b2b to have fresh legs in there. Seemed like a logical decision.

Everything about the Stewart PTO and signing was illogical and still is. We are WILLINGLY keeping a bottom 3 forward in the entire league on the team when there are many, many better options. Hell, we have iced 20 forwards so far this year...he is better than none of them. So on our own team and depth chart, he is the 20th best at best, yet has played the 14th most games.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Such laughable drivel from the Hak-apologist who gets proved wrong over and over and over again. 40 minutes without a goal and he "can't finish to save his life". :biglaugh:

Gee, I wonder why anyone would struggle to produce at ES in an absolutely dreadful ES system which actively sought to do things least likely to end in goals?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->