Attendance

Discussion in 'OHL' started by LDN, Nov 25, 2018.

1. ohloutsider

ohloutsider Registered User

2. Otto

Otto Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history

Home Page:
    I was told that it was over 1000

3. Hammer9001

Hammer9001 Registered User

IT
    Thanks Otto

In regards to paid vs unpaid attendance. Yes, when you have games like school day games, all the tickets are given out. That said, you can't tell me that no team (except maybe London) doesn't given tickets away, or sell them at a reduced rate to local junior hockey teams and the like. Of the 12 OHL arena's I've been too, it is rare that I haven't seen a "Jr." team of some sorts in the stands, somewhere. There simply is no way of telling how many tickets any team gives away per year, so I think it's a disservice to try to count them.

Now that said, it is good to know that the average, while impacted by the school day games, isn't overwhelmingly massive. Yes, it does skew the numbers, but only by a couple of hundred, and while that certainly is the difference between where your team sits in terms of attendance, it's not so big that it drops a team by even two spots or so.

4. ohloutsider

Never try to respond with your phone!!! Me and tech don't fit well.
    Otto-
    Announced attendance is paid attendance ( at least in Windsor). Team pays arena fees to the city for every paid seat. City uses this to cover the costs to operate the arena, extra staff and such. So in the case of OS not sure how they announce their attendance but the night you are talking about was the night of the big snow storm so only about 2 to 3 hundred made it to the game. Also not sure what their season ticket base numbers are.

5. Otto

Home Page:
    As I said, I was told that Owen Sounds season ticket base is over 1,000. So I think that there is no consistent league wide attendance policy.

6. ohloutsider

Yes agree not sure announced attendance is the same for every team. How do they do it in London, you said earlier they announce sell outs but you see empty seats? Sounds like the same way they do it in Windsor.

7. MisterDB

MisterDB Registered User

pretty sure all OHL teams are consistent with tickets sold as their attendance figure. As for OS because I had time I went through each home game on the Official OHL site to see attendance and the lowest listed was 2219 and the highest was listed 3248. There were no games even close to a 1000. Now in the arena through the gate may have been different and quite possible due to weather etc that butts were not in the seats but reporting for any what appears to be low attendance again is tickets sold. Do teams know what actual through the door attendance are, yes, bar codes have simplified this, Tickets given away are included in the attendance figures, the teams have to pay city fees so there is no fudging, bittom line.

Otto and ohloutsider like this.
  8. Otto

Home Page:
    Interesting.... the game in question was January 30th where the OHL site said 492. I go back now and it says 2730.... so they have adjusted it after the fact.... which also throws my entire project into question.

I'll go through each game again eventually, to see if there are any other games/teams like this. Thanks for checking MisterDB... as much as I don't like the extra work... I appreciate you checking.

edit: I just cross referenced with Hockey DB.. my total from Soo is different then theirs, so it's only one team I need to review. If I continue this project into next season I'll wait a week before updating the numbers.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    ohloutsider likes this.
  9. ohloutsider

The 2730 for OS pretty much confirms they are using tickets sold as attendance numbers as Millpond had noted for that game there was only a couple hundred fans in attendance due to weather.

Fyi - I find these numbers interesting, 1 of my favorite threads.

three dog night and Otto like this.
  10. three dog night

three dog night Registered User

With North Bay arena in question for their final three home games and possibly playing in Sudbury how will this affect their attendance numbers.

11. Otto

Home Page:
    The bigger question is if the arena is shut down for the season and the Battalion are forced to play out of Sudbury ... what a great treat that would be for the Wolves fans if they ended up meeting in the first round.

three dog night likes this.
  12. Otto

Home Page:
    Point is moot... North Bay arena is re-opening this weekend

Hammer9001 and three dog night like this.
  13. rangersblues

rangersblues Registered User

We have no right as fans to know what attendance is or how it is determined.

14. Otto

Home Page:
    OK... I didn't realize it was supposed to be a secret... would you like me to stop?

mtshapcott, MisterDB and Helvigster like this.
  15. mtshapcott

mtshapcott Registered User

The Steelheads had their best crowd (3,054) in a while for a Tuesday night game against the Otters last night. It appears the March Break promo resulted in a few more families in the ends than normal.
    One of the challenges that Mississauga faces is getting fans from east of the arena. I had an extra ticket to the game and invited a friend who lives on the Danforth. It took him 2 hours to get to the rink. Its a 30 minute drive with no rush hour traffic. Needless to say, he won't be eager to go to any more weeknight games.

Hammer9001 and Tarantula like this.
  16. Otto

Home Page:
    Absolutely the biggest challenge is traffic, not the battle for the entertainment dollar, not the demographics... by the time people get home from work the last thing they want to do is go back out in that.

mtshapcott likes this.
  17. Tarantula

Tarantula Hanging around the web

Quite a few people had that issue, the box office was a zoo even after puck drop.

mtshapcott likes this.
  18. Hammer9001

Hammer9001 Registered User

IT
    Yeah, I have family that lives in Mississauga and they echo this sentiment. By the time you get home and have dinner, you'll have just enough time to fight traffic for a half hour and miss half the first. Every time I've gone to an away game in Mississauga it was either a weekend game, or I had to take the 407.

The 401/403 turns into a zoo from Brantford and Kitchener to Bowmanville (I think...where the exit up to Peterborough is) from 3 to 7 like clockwork on the weekdays. It's a major reason why 1) Hamilton/Niagara needed all day GO train service 15 years ago, and 2) The GO train rails should be electrified for faster travel. Something needs to be done to start getting cars off the road in the GTA.

mtshapcott and three dog night like this.
  19. ohloutsider

Otto - is there a final tally sheet coming out?

20. Otto

Home Page:
    Working on it... also trying to come up with a good formula to use for comparing seasons.

21. ohloutsider

Now are you going to look at playoff numbers or is that even possible?

22. Otto

Home Page:
    I'm not going to bother with playoffs... it's pretty cut and dry.. first round is lower for everyone, and as teams advance the crowds get bigger. Playoffs don't give a true picture of league fan support (in my opinion)

ohloutsider likes this.
  23. Otto

Home Page:
    Overall the league was down 78,665 fans over last season. On average 116 fans per game. 8 of he teams showed increases over last season.

it's the third straight season of declines and the first triple digit decline since the 2011/2012 season. It's also the largest decline in attendance in the 10 year span that I researched.

In order of worst seasons to best.. fans per game average

2018/19 -116
    2011/12 -106
    2016/17 -60
    2009/10 -56
    2017/18 -37
    2010/11 -1
    2013/14 +17
    2014/15 +52
    2015/16 +65
    2012/13 +111

24. Otto

Home Page:
    upload_2019-3-20_14-19-32.png

ohloutsider likes this.
  25. Otto

Home Page:
    Some things to note: Sault Ste Marie is highlighted because the total i have is different than the total HockeyDB has... I reviewed my data and compared to the OHL game sheets and my data checks out. Also, for 2017/18 the data on hockeydb for Ottawa (+1) and Niagara (-13) is also incorrect.

I'm not going to go through each team for the last 10 years to verify hockeydb's numbers... if they are off it's not by that much and not worth my time.