Attendance

Discussion in 'OHL' started by LDN, Nov 25, 2018.

1. ohloutsider

ohloutsider Registered User

Just calculated with an average ticket price of $21 how much Windsor is down this year - it is just shy of $300,000. Not predicting any upswings with attendance as the losing streak likely continues so could see them out close to $400,000 by the end of the season. Has to be some big concerns for the financial end of the Spits ops.

three dog night likes this.
  2. Otto

Otto Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history

Home Page:
    When I do the yearly comparison it will be interesting to see... Junior hockey is cyclical.. or it's supposed to be, but the Spits have struggled for a few years on the ice... I'd like to think that management for all teams looks at attendance trends, but if a team is consistently losing fans at the gate and not making significant changes to boost the attendance then something is wrong.

3. three dog night

three dog night Registered User

4. three dog night

5. Hammer9001

Hammer9001 Registered User

IT
    On the positive side, at least the Family Day game should give Hamilton's attendance a slight boost.

6. Otto

Home Page:
    Compared to the Family Day game last year they were down 700 fans

7. Otto

Home Page:
  8. Hammer9001

IT
    Aww...

9. Otto

Home Page:
  10. Otto

Home Page:
  11. Otto

Home Page:
    I've decided to go back and add the games played at the Canadian Tire Centre and TD Place Stadium for the 67's. I think it shows a more true picture of the league attendance as a whole.

upload_2019-3-6_9-32-48.png

ohloutsider likes this.
  12. Otto

Home Page:
    This datasheet shows that the league is at it's lowest average attendance in the last 11 seasons. 7 teams are showing an increase this season over the average of the 10 previous seasons. Of those 7 only Hamilton is a team that has relocated in the past 10 years. North Bay is getting close to what they were doing when the Centennials were there, and Flint is drawing worse now than when they were in Plymouth. Windsor is the only team that is showing their lowest average attendance this season over all of the previous 10.

It's strange, because this season we have seen the greatest parity in a long time. Any one of 8 teams can win the title and yet ticket sales are suffering.

upload_2019-3-6_9-54-35.png

13. Helvigster

Helvigster Registered User

Obviously other things play a factor into poor attendance, like the cost, and other things.

But I think one big reason why attendance is down is because of that one team in Toronto making all of these moves.

From what I've seen, hockey here in Southern Ontario is a tough sell if it's not the Leafs. I live in Hamilton, and sometimes I'll talk to my buddies about hockey and such. Most of the time, the conversation is about the Leafs, and rarely is there ever a conversation about the Bulldogs. If there is, it's usually "Oh, the Bulldogs? They suck!" even after the championship season.

The Leafs have such a foothold here in Southern Ontario that the people I know would prefer going to a Leafs game than an OHL game, simply because it's the Leafs. They want to see the big boys. The professionals. The guys like Marner, Matthews, etc..

In short, the Leafs are the #1 hockey team here in Southern Ontario, no matter what (unless you're London). The funny thing, however, is the fact that some families can't even afford Leafs tickets, yet they still give a damn about them and not their local OHL team.

So really, it all comes down to one thing: people need to support local teams. I tell this to everyone I know: support your team no matter what. I tend to see that the kids especially are directed towards the Leafs rather than their local OHL team (if they have one) simply because they're the Leafs and they have such a foothold down here.

I'm a young person myself and I absolutely love the Bulldogs, and I would choose them over the Leafs any day. I'm not saying that other young kids should have the same attitude since different strokes for different folks... but at least check out your OHL team and see if it's any good. And if you like it, keep supporting them while also supporting the beloved Leafs.

mtshapcott and three dog night like this.
  14. Otto

Home Page:
    The thing is, when you look at the teams that are performing lower this season than their 10 year average you don't get a team that would be impacted by the Leafs until Barrie... and they are 9th from the bottom. All of the teams that this would affect are having a better than average year in attendance with the exception of Barrie ,Mississauga, and Guelph. And the last two are not far off.

15. youngblood10

youngblood10 Registered User

I believe it's the cheese pizza effect. No longer do teams have colourful characters. Or a hated or loved "goon"on the ice. Other than the uniform nothing distinguishes one team from the next. The game is so sanitized now, fans have lost the emotional attachment to the game & teams/players.
    Play and players are one dementional.
    The O used to serve a deluxe pizza at a bargain, now they charge top price for a cheese pizza.

16. Otto

Home Page:
    I can appreciate this... the rivalries don't seem to be what they used to be. and even though I used to speak against the thought I am coming around to the change in hitting/fighting in the OHL. I used to love hockey fights, but since all the stuff about CTE has come out I have changed my thinking... especially when it comes to teenagers. That being said there was a lot bigger buzz around the arena for a game against a rival when there was more hitting and fighting in the game .

17. three dog night

Leafs have little effect on Niagara numbers.

18. Hammer9001

IT
    If you don't mind me asking Otto, what would Hamilton's attendance look like this year if you removed last years late school day game and this year's cancelled school day game from the respective average attendance equations (if that is even possible)? I'm curious if not for that game, would have attendance increased again this year.

Flint is also a very odd situation because of how their owner acted. I like to think, if they changed owners tomorrow some fans would come back.

19. Otto

Home Page:
    With those games factored out Hamilton would be up 125 fans per game. No question it had a major impact on the Bulldogs. That being said weather issues are inevitable and teams need to have a contingency plan for the "what ifs" in life.

Last years late school day game had an attendance of 11, 565 this year it was 2,689 because of the weather. Bulldogs are down 4,998 fans this year over last.

Hammer9001 and three dog night like this.
  20. ohloutsider

For many teams no School day games . Numbers put to an average will look better for teams that have School day games. Makes sense to not include those inflated numbers when looking at yearly average. Team yearly average could be assigned to the school game to ensure a more accurate average so 1 game would not be devoid of attendance numbers.

21. Otto

Home Page:
    I guess it depends on the reasons why you are compiling. I went back and forth on the school day games, games played at another venue (Ottawa) and weather issues... in the end I decided to use every game. It paints a true picture. If Ottawa decides to play at the Canadian Tire Centre one year but not the next, or Hamilton decides to go down to one school day game vs two, then that's on them. They need to find a way to bring the fans in by whatever means they can.

22. Otto

Home Page:
    I use the OHL gamesheets. I have no idea if its paid or butts in the seats. Every team is different. In London they have announced sell outs when seats have been empty all game. Owen Sound had a game with fewer than 1000 announced in attendance due to a storm this season but they have more than 1000 season ticket holders

23. ohloutsider

Yes they are the true numbers but 10,000 school kids to a game and I would think none of those kids bought a ticket so it probably does not help the bottom line. I agree that some teams need this to boost interest and for me anything that helps promote the league is a good.

Otto likes this.
  24. ohloutsider

Attendance numbers are paid seats but they also include compted tickets that the team "pays for" and shows as paid attendance - how the school games attendance is counted.

Edit - to add to this teams would have to pay the "arena fees" for those seats so there would be a cost to teams hosting games and comping (SP) tickets.

25. Otto

Home Page:
    But if all teams list attendance as paid seats why was Owen Sound listed as under 1000 for a game?