Attendance

Discussion in 'OHL' started by LDN, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Hammer9001

Hammer9001 Registered User

IT
    In Hamilton, I will say the future is looking bright if we can sort out the arena. Attendance appears to be going up, and has gone up every year since the teams move. I think has benefited from becoming an OHL team and changing the colors black and gold. The elephant in the room though is Copps, which isn't getting any younger, will not likely ever host another memorial cup and really isn't a hockey specific facility. It's too old and too big, baring Hamilton suddenly getting gifted the perfect division to boost away attendance (which won't and shouldn't happen), I just can't see a hockey specific renovation going to First Ontario.

The team needs a 5-6,500 seat arena, and the second the city Hamilton gets involved with any construction project, it turns into a complete mess.

2. Otto

Otto Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history

Home Page:
  3. Otto

Home Page:
    9 Teams are showing an increase in attendance over the same number of home games last year (down from 10) And 5 are showing an increase over their total attendance number last year.

League is down 65 fans per game on average, compared to 78.5 from last week and 167.5 at the End of November

three dog night likes this.
  4. Otto

Home Page:
    10 teams are showing an increase in attendance over the same number of home games last season. 5 Teams are showing an increase over their overall total attendance last season. Saginaw , Oshawa, and Owen Sound can all easily make up their deficits.

League is down 72 fans per game compared to 65 fans per game last week and 167.5 fans per game at the end of November.

upload_2019-1-28_8-46-54.png

5. ohloutsider

ohloutsider Registered User

Thanks for keeping this going Otto, Windsor in a real tailspin this year. Losing will do that.

6. Otto

Home Page:
    For sure. When you look at the bottom teams in attendance and compare it to the standings it pretty much tells the tale.

The bottom 4 teams in the Western Conference are all teams that are at the lower end of the year over year attendance. The east is a little different. Barrie who is out of a playoff spot is showing an increase over last year. Mississauga has their own problems.

What will be interesting is when I do the 10 year comparison in the off season.

ohloutsider likes this.
  7. Otto

Home Page:
    9 teams are showing an increase in attendance over the same amount of home games last season. Saginaw and North Bay can make up their differences in one game. Poor Owen Sound got hit with a winter storm and road closures. I thought about excluding the game from their total, but in the end I decided to keep it. League is down an average of 86.4 fans per game over the same point last season.

upload_2019-2-4_8-25-13.png

Maverick0 and OHLTG like this.
  8. BarberPole9

BarberPole9 Registered User

Nice to see Ottawa rebounding on the list. It will take a while, but I expect these crowds to continue to rise all the way through next season. Their marketing team is doing really good work.

9. three dog night

three dog night Registered User

Not good Saturday.

10. BarberPole9

We went over this in the 67's thread. There was horrible weather, a home Senators game and it was the second of back to back home night games.

How are you adding to this conversation?

Otto likes this.
  11. three dog night

People still follow the Senators I have fri.ends living in Ottawa it snowed but no big deal for them and the IceDogs have had back to back games this year at home and draw well what the excuse for the other small crowds this season.

12. BarberPole9

But what are you adding? What are you hoping to accomplish by posting on here?

Correct, they had a small crowd and I offered three reasons for that.

You’ve offered ten reasons for every IceDogs loss this year so far and can’t seem to understand that I and most others on here don’t care about your excuses or your opinions on our favourite teams.

The IceDogs draw well and have good fans as the only hockey attraction in town, I am not going to knock their organization because of one poster on HFB with no caps in their name who probably doesn’t even attend most of their games as a paying customer.

The 67’s will always play second fiddle to the Senators- are you suggesting that they are competing with the Sens? We also have a very good Jr. A league, the CCHL that draws lots of fans. There are a lot of hockey options in town and IMO as long as the team draws over 3,000 per game on average they are fully sustainable.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Otto likes this.
  13. three dog night

I am a season ticket holder and you are ignorant of the Niagara Region we also have junior B leauge C leauge two teams in the Greater Toronto Leauge University hockey the Bulldogs almost next door the Sabres again almost next door and Toronto sports team and if your all right with three thousand per game that all right but a team having the season Ottawa is having should be double that.

14. BarberPole9

If there is an ignoramus in this conversation, he is Not the one writing this message. I’ve been to Niagara often and I find it to be a beautiful city with nice people.

Why should it be our attendance be doubled? Are you in Marketing and if yes, what numbers are you using to determine this arbitrary number that you just made up?

I root for good attendance for every time in the league and would never celebrate a team struggling at the gate. Like most in this thread, I want to see this league thrive as the best developmental league in the world and that won’t continue to be the case if the league loses teams due to poor attendance. Life is happier when you celebrate achievements as opposed to affixing blame and ridicule onto those who try.

Buffalo’s arena from the Meridian Center is over an hour away, they are not your home team, let alone in your home country. Using your logic, East Ottawa residents who attend Gatineau Olympiques and Montreal Canadiens games should count in our area, as they would have to travel nearly the same length of time as you would to go to a Sabres game. Heck, we ought to count the Kingston Frontenacs for West Ottawa residents too. Am I out of line counting the AHL’s Syracuse Crunch for South Ottawa residents?

Good luck to your team, I hope that they continue their good run of attendance.

Hammer9001 and Captain Crash like this.
  15. three dog night

Buffalo is thirty miles away from the Meridian Centre

Lycanthrope likes this.
  16. three dog night

And there are several season ticket holders for the Sabres in the Niagara Region . Ottawa use to draw well just surprise they are not drawing better this season.

17. Dog Fan

Dog Fan Registered User

BarberPole9...the City is St. Catharines, Buffalo's arena is 35-40 minutes away from the Meridian Centre and we have plenty of hockey other than the IceDogs. Of particular interest and pride are the St. Catharines Falcons our local Jr. B team. I lived in Manotick for 3 years and, on occasion, it took me as long to drive to see the 67's as it does for me to see the Sabres...and yes, I considered the 67's my local team.

18. Otto

Home Page:
    This has been gone over much earlier in the thread. Please review the entire thread before commenting, you might learn something

19. Hammer9001

IT
    Bulldogs are going to probably take a hit on next week's sheet. School day game today only had over 2000 because the schools ended up being closed today.

20. colts29

colts29 Registered User

Just spitballing here but if the CHL was to truly be called a developemnt league than be a developemnt league.

Why not open up the import rules and allow teams to bring in the best available talent as possible. Not saying this would solve all the attendance issues but it may go a long way towards it.

Just a thought, 50% of the team is made up of NA players, and the balance is made up of JR players from other countries, or facsimile there of.

Anyway as I said just spitballing a comment.

21. Otto

Home Page:
    Ya... I've just started doing last night games and they took a hit... It'll be bigger after Saturday's games because that's the game that matches up with the school day game last year.. I thought about leaving it out, but like the Owen Sound game I've decided not to include weather as a factor for leaving games out of the comparison.

Any idea if they will make it up to the kids some how? Free tickets to a future game?

22. Hammer9001

IT
    I don't know if they will to be honest. The cost of one of these games isn't small for one, so having another this season is unlikely to be in the cards. Having three, basically no revenue games can't be good for the team's finances. Then on top of that, these games are usually 10:30am affairs, thus the logistics of rebooking with First Ontario, the Schoolboard and the OHL isn't likely to work out. That's the real shame, I wish the OHL had a better policy on cancelling and rescheduling games later in the season, which is really what should have been done here.

That said, if it were me, I'd give out free Family Day tickets and pack First Ontario for that game. Just do it like Don Cherry used to advise was the way to do it. Keep all the free tickets on the Upper Deck, away from the paying fans so no one feels like they are getting cheated.

Maverick0, Tarantula and Otto like this.
  23. Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope Registered User

Makes sense man. He came up with a good rebuttal. Also the guy’s a fan of the league and I don’t think he means to troll or anything, this is his hobby. Also, maybe the truth hurts sometimes but I agree, attendance should be better, especially in hockey markets (no disrespect but I really never considered Ottawa to be one (look at the Sen’s attendance and being there against the Leafs or Habs is like a home game for the visitors), especially a junior market and if they can’t draw relative to their population this season while being ranked number ONE they may never. Sudbury on the other hand is most definitely a hockey town and the Wolves used to draw very well though being a garbage team for ever and a day with a clown for an owner and the worst case of nepotism the league has ever seen has its ramifications , and the crowds have yet to really come back though I hope that changes in the spring. Still bet the atmosphere is night and day from Ottawa.
    It seems to me overall that it’s just too expensive, especially for families. Not sure what can be done as I know there are a lot of costs associated with running a franchise these days.

24. Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope Registered User

Stick to your guns Three dog.

25. Otto

Home Page:
    A rough week for Hamilton and Barrie.. I don't see either team rebounding in attendance this season. Hamilton got rocked by poor weather for a School Day Game.

upload_2019-2-11_8-31-53.png