Attendance

Discussion in 'OHL' started by LDN, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Sec108

Sec108 Registered User

I wear my old Spits gear to work on a regular basis and all I get is negative comments about the league and the style of play .Its not against the team but how the league has ruined the game and made it boring and a waste of time to watch.

You can say over and over about the game changing but here in Windsor its not being accepted.I believe the Spitfires owners are going to have attendance problems way into the future.I know that arena and if theres 3000 fan's most games theyre lucky.Thats not paid attendance which I still think is fudged of coarse.I know one sth that cant attend all games but cant even give his 2 seats away for free cause now one wants to go.

Windsor is no longer a hot bed for junior hockey, I can see Boughner and Rychel sell theyre share of ownership in the near future.These players today are uncoachable do to various interference by parents and agents and litigation of some form.

2. Savard18

Savard18 Registered User

I'm coping and trying to accept the way the league is now but it isn't always easy to continue supporting it with the same level of enthusiasm. Refing is mediocre to poor on far too many nights. Forget fighting, there's barely any hitting. Rivalries just aren't gonna have nearly the same level of intensity if there's no physical contact allowed. It's basically elite level junior kids playing women's hockey. In fact, there's as much or more contact, grit and intensity in a USA-Canada women's game. If not just outright skill. That says a lot about the ladies NA is bringing up but it also says a lot about the direction hockey and the OHL is going.

razor ray and Sec108 like this.
  3. Otto

Otto Registered User

Sarnia is down 3.1 fans per game over last year... hardly cause for concern. Your points are valid though.

4. davewheeler

davewheeler Registered User

Sting are losing a lot of money and have been for awhile ... there should be some concern.

5. three dog night

three dog night Registered User

After Christmas now most teams attendance should pick up.

6. Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope Registered User

I’m really hoping it will for the Wolves, especially if they maintain their pace.

three dog night likes this.
  7. Otto

Otto Registered User

More than half the teams are now above their average attendance vs. the same amount of home games last season.

upload_2019-1-7_9-9-53.png

LDN likes this.
  8. Otto

Otto Registered User

Ottawa has done a great job rebounding. Which was to be expected after the Red Blacks were done and the way the 67s have been playing

LDN likes this.
  9. Otto

Otto Registered User

November 29th OHL attendance was down 167.5 fans per game, now it's down 82.3 fans per game.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  10. Hammer9001

Hammer9001 Registered User

IT
    Yeah, this is the same case with Hamilton. Until the Ti-Cat season is over the Bulldogs suffer at the gate. As soon as the Cats are done, attendance picks up. I think part of the reason the 67's are rebounding might also be with just how bad the Senators have been as of late. That said, I think it will be interesting as to what the Bulldogs attendance looks like for the rest of the season, since it doesn't seem like the team is going to go very deep this year.

11. LDN

LDN Registered User

Did you calc this all yourself?

12. Otto

Otto Registered User

Yes... it's not difficult, just put it into an excel sheet and plug the numbers in as they happen

rangersblues and LDN like this.
  13. LDN

LDN Registered User

True enough. Excel is a wonderful tool! Kudos to you though for doing that

Drop the Puck and rangersblues like this.
  14. Otto

Otto Registered User

15. Otto

Otto Registered User

North Bay slipped back below last years comparative attendance mark. Half of the teams are now doing better in attendance vs. the same number of home games last season. Another 4 are down less than 60 per game. 5 teams are now averaging more now compared to the full 17/18 season.

OHL is now down 78.5 fans per game compared to 82.3 fans per game last week and 167.5 fans November 29th.

Also, at that date there were 10 teams below 3000 in attendance. Now there are only 5, and two of those are actually showing an increase in attendance over last year

three dog night likes this.
  16. TcFlint

TcFlint Registered User

Teacher
    Still not good, but there are three teams now below Flint's attendance.

17. Sleemans99

Sleemans99 Registered User

I think here in Sudbury we are still suffering from the years of Burgess and the damage to the brand. I am retired from what some call the entertainment industry and believe this is the same for the this league. Doing an activity and spending money is a habit and people stop spending money doing something and start to use it for other purposes, it is hard to get to spend back with you again. Years of damage to the Wolves brand will resonate for a long time and it will take some time for attendance to recover even with a good team. I think you see the same in Sarnia and I worry for Flint. Combine this with the perceived drop in excitement (no hitting or fighting) and people are not coming.

I also worry about the trend of teams who feel out of it selling off every good player. For example if I was a non season ticket holder, but still went regularly to Owen Sound, Missasauga, Kingston etc why would I pay to go to another game this year? They are charing me full price for a tier two lineup.

I commend Otto for this work, but am curious of the long term trend, say 5-10 years. Otto I am not suggesting you take on the task and I am too lazy to do it myself.:)

18. Otto

Otto Registered User

Sudbury is one of the teams doing better. Their attendance is over last year at the same point, and they are showing an improvement over last seasons overall number.

I can go back and do a 10 year comparative.... I'll probably do it after the regular season

LDN likes this.
  19. colts29

colts29 Registered User

Just thinking out loud here, but why not open up the import spots to say 4-5. Better on ice product would equate to higher attendance.
    If you want to be a development league than be a development league, not just a Canadian development league.
    I would bet the NHL would love to see this.

20. Sleemans99

Agreed Sudbury attendance up, just think it should be higher to match the teams improvement. For example Sundays game against Niagara the announced crowd was under 3,000. This is for a good team against another good team. Acknowledge Sunday crowds always a hard draw.
    My social group which includes many people involved with minor hockey and play oldtimers hockey are just so teed off from over the years of mismanagment they will not even give the new team a chance. Thats what I mean by damaging the brand

21. three dog night

Will a new arena help Sudbury in their crowds.

22. Sleemans99

Good question TDN. The arena is still a very contentious political issue and has split the city. The council approvals have bee appealed to the Local Planning Act Tribunal (?)(LPAT) and there is not to be a decision until the summer at the earliest. When approved the first vote at council to approve a downtown arena was a tie, therefore defeated, and then the next vote was for the new edge of town location which was approved 10-2. Some locals are upset and will never step foot into the new building, how many of those go to games now is also a question. My guess is a short term bump for a season or so and then it will depend on team quality and pricing. I am getting to the age to wonder if I will be around in the three or so seasons until it is open. I dont know if the current arena is actually keeping people away. It is a great place to watch a game if you dont need good food, bathrooms or fancy interiors or great parking or a sound system you can actually understand what is being said.

By the way you posts are written better and more thoughtful than your music
    :laugh::laugh:

23. the dog

the dog Registered User

one of your best year was 2005-06 was av 4610

24. three dog night

That a shame a new arena divided the community there were some naysayers in Niagara too but I think they might agree how great the Meridian Centre is for the community.

25. LDN

LDN Registered User

How will we become a more robust league?