Attendance following the 04/05 lockout

Clode

Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH
How was the attendance for the Bruins the few years after the last lockout? Was thinking if we lose the whole season and get crippled by the new cap and suck next year how it would affect Jacobs' pockets...

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
How was the attendance for the Bruins the few years after the last lockout? Was thinking if we lose the whole season and get crippled by the new cap and suck next year how it would affect Jacobs' pockets...

Awful. Corner seats consistently empty upstairs and down. But it was bad into 07/08 people don't like to admit the Habs had as many fans in the building as we did that year in the playoffs (I went to game 7 in Montreal and I was one of under 20 Bs fans who went up there I counted) when they rip Montreal/Vancouver fans from their computer.

But...the building will be mostly full for a while except the green premium seats. People can't cancel season tickets so thats 3/4 capacity automatically and generally speaking sold season tickets won't go to waste.

2014-2015 is the earliest the building could look seriously empty on TV b/c even next year enough people on the wait list will take tickets. And chances are the team plays well enough before then for people to want to go to games (but they'll be going in 20 dollar Loges off stubhub for midweek games.)

Pre lockout the new Garden rarely sold out maybe 5 times a year...mainly because it was so damn expensive. As a young un it was college hockey games instead b/c of price.

Jacobs would be screwed if the lockout happened a year or two earlier but unfortunately his ST base is big enough to cover himself (with the assumption that a dominating team will eventually cure all ill will towards him.)

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The bruins were a **** team after the last lockout too. That had to play a serious role in turnout.

Correct you are, Bruins Brass had absolutely no idea how to operate under a cap system, the team was pitiful, disgusting and an embarrassment and Bruin fans (along with Hawks fans IMO) did the one thing that great fanbases struggle doing, they voiced their disgust/anger, and told managment they won`t accept the steady stream of mediocrity while trying to sell fans Filet Mignon via empty seats.

Not sure what the attendance was all around, but that was a huge reason for the lack of attendance at the TD.

Good team this time out, I`ll wager they`ll pick up right where they left of in spite of what some here say they`ll do. Game 1 back, whenever it may be and going forward will be sellouts

Looch

B's, C's, Sox & Pats
Jun 22, 2009
Gilford, NH
the building could look seriously empty on TV b/c even next year enough people on the wait list will take tickets

I still think people will be surprised how many on the wait list are on it for financial investment only. I think far less the 50% of waitlest-ers offered tickets post missed season would actually pull the trigger on them.

81ragnaH

May 29, 2007
Lynn, MA
The lockout didn't affect attendance too much. It was not good, but it was not good leading into that lockout as well. Had much more to do with Jacobs and management than the lockout itself.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
Awful. Corner seats consistently empty upstairs and down. But it was bad into 07/08 people don't like to admit the Habs had as many fans in the building as we did that year in the playoffs (I went to game 7 in Montreal and I was one of under 20 Bs fans who went up there I counted) when they rip Montreal/Vancouver fans from their computer.

But...the building will be mostly full for a while except the green premium seats. People can't cancel season tickets so thats 3/4 capacity automatically and generally speaking sold season tickets won't go to waste.

2014-2015 is the earliest the building could look seriously empty on TV b/c even next year enough people on the wait list will take tickets. And chances are the team plays well enough before then for people to want to go to games (but they'll be going in 20 dollar Loges off stubhub for midweek games.)

Pre lockout the new Garden rarely sold out maybe 5 times a year...mainly because it was so damn expensive. As a young un it was college hockey games instead b/c of price.

Jacobs would be screwed if the lockout happened a year or two earlier but unfortunately his ST base is big enough to cover himself (with the assumption that a dominating team will eventually cure all ill will towards him.)

Ya that was embarrassing in the playoffs when it was about 40% Habs fans in that series. It did make the home wins sweeter in that series though. I think seeing all those Habs fans being obnoxious and essentially setting up rallies outside the TD Garden raised the hatred toward that team and fan base to a point in which I never I thought I could hate something in the sports world. People wonder why there was so much violence between fans that series, Habs fans brought a lot of that on themselves and throw alcohol in the mix you ended up with people acting like jackasses on both sides that series. Anyway to the larger point attendance didn't suffer so much from the lockout as much as it suffered from the team flat out sucking. Part of me did enjoy those days, I could at least afford to go to those games and embrace the ineptitude that was Bruins hockey at that time.

member 96824

I remember buying seats in the rafters and being able to sit three rows behind Thomas twice and Cam Ward once the day after thanksgiving.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

packed once Lewis left

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
No mattr what we do JJ doesn't have to worry about the money. He has plenty. As for the bad BRUINS team following the last lockout, that was managemets fault. Their "plan" was to NOT sign players. It backfired. I just wish the fans had a say in what is going on but................

sjaustin77

Oct 28, 2007
Year|Attendance
03-04|15,133
04-05|Lockout
05-06|16,211
06-07|14,764
07-08|15,384
08-09|17,039
09-10|17,388
10-11|17,565
11-12|17,564

Attendance is most directly correlated with how good the team was in the previous year.

Attendance went up post lockout because they were good in 03-04. They sucked in 05-06, and 06-07 so attendance was poor in 06-07 and 07-08. They got better starting in 07-08 and attendance increased each season up to full sellouts the last 2 seasons. I would expect sellouts whenever this lockout is over as well until the team sucks again.

Attendance link for future reference: Just change the year in the dropdown box.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

member 96824

I hope everyone stops going. Cheaper seats for moi when I take the season ticket plunge :naughty:

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
Plus the celtics are playing in his building and the people are paying for his food. The guy isn't losing any money.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I used to be able to afford to go to about ten games a year back then! I remember scooping up a bunch of $10 tickets when they went on sale (along with about $9.95 in service fees with each ticket)

member 96824

Plus the celtics are playing in his building and the people are paying for his food. The guy isn't losing any money.

He's still making money(delaware north is massive and throughout all sports in most major cities) but the lockout is a loss for him. Less concessions and events at the garden plus the Bruins are one of the teams in the minority that actually pull a profit.

So yeah..he's still making money...but not as much.

Bruins Stooge

Spread Out
Aug 12, 2008
Hartford County CT
I used to be able to afford to go to about ten games a year back then! I remember scooping up a bunch of $10 tickets when they went on sale (along with about $9.95 in service fees with each ticket)

You and me both pal. I miss those days. Get out of class at UConn, look on a ticket website for tickets, nab a last minute pair, and make the 45 min, hour drive up to the city for the game. And that was regardless of the game quite often. Now there could be a Bruins Blue Jackets game at 3 in the morning and i'm fairly certain it would still be jam packed and high up corner balconies would be 50-70 bucks.

DevilsHughes86

Dance with the Devil
Mar 6, 2007
Laval
When was that Halloween game against Anaheim where the Garden was dead empty? Can't remember if it was before or the season hockey resumed

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
When was that Halloween game against Anaheim where the Garden was dead empty? Can't remember if it was before or the season hockey resumed

don't remember that one, but do you remember when Daiseke had (literally) just entered the country and dropped the ceremonial puck at center ice? Place was about half full and Charlie must have thought "Oh man does this look bad!".

DevilsHughes86

Dance with the Devil
Mar 6, 2007
Laval
don't remember that one, but do you remember when Daiseke had (literally) just entered the country and dropped the ceremonial puck at center ice? Place was about half full and Charlie must have thought "Oh man does this look bad!".

Yup

Just found mine, it was before the lockout in the 2002-03 season, I swear there was no more then 3000 people in attendance that night

ClassicB

Jul 3, 2006
Year|Attendance
03-04|15,133
04-05|Lockout
05-06|16,211
06-07|14,764
07-08|15,384
08-09|17,039
09-10|17,388
10-11|17,565
11-12|17,564

Attendance is most directly correlated with how good the team was in the previous year.

Attendance went up post lockout because they were good in 03-04. They sucked in 05-06, and 06-07 so attendance was poor in 06-07 and 07-08. They got better starting in 07-08 and attendance increased each season up to full sellouts the last 2 seasons. I would expect sellouts whenever this lockout is over as well until the team sucks again.

Attendance link for future reference: Just change the year in the dropdown box.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Those attendance figures are so misleading. I went to many B's games from the late 90's through '07. I would say the AVERAGE B's game was MAYBE 10 - 11K except for your occassional sellout. I remember some games where the attendance could not have been more than 7 or 8K.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->