Attempted Tank

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
So I made a franchise with the Canucks. I attempted to blow everything up and tank this year just based on all the goings on and rumors surrounding the Nucks this season.

I dumped Demko, Horvat, Garland, Boeser, Myers, and Pearson for picks and replacement level players to start the season and kept guys who I think aren't likely to be tradeable in OEL, Miller, Poolman. I then iced the worst possible roster I could and simmed the season.

Introducing the 2022/23 Vancouver Canucks, who steamrolled the Division winning VGK in 5 games and were promptly swept in the second round by the Flames by scoring 2 goals in 4 games and being shutout in 3 of 4.

Wound up drafting 25th overall in the first round because none of the above players that I traded were valued remotely close to any first round picks to start the year. My coach also won the Jack Adams.

Meanwhile, in the literal hundreds of franchise teams I've done over the years, I've only managed to win the cup a handful of times (literally can count on one hand) with teams that vary from all-star calibre to extremely well rounded and filled with good but not overpowering depth.

This game is so f***ed, lol.
20230129_122441.jpg
20230129_122713.jpg
20230129_123255.jpg
20230129_123246.jpg

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
Yea in 22 I won the cup with the Sharks. The team wasn't good but had good chemistry.

Somehow in 23 I managed to get last without cheating 2 years in a row. The funny thing was I actually tried to improve the second year and got some big free agents but still got last.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I tried again, this time dumping EP and Hughes as well, and got myself a second round exit.

Literally untankable.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Simming has been complete shit ever since the shift to new gen

Only way I was able to tank was by firing my coach making a coach who has Fs across the board my new HC, I then signed two euro FA goalies who were rated in the 50s to be my starters. It produced its own problem with forcing the AI to keep them in the NHL while every other goalie in the organization was better.

Just madness even without constant lineup tinkering it still takes about 2 hours just to sim one season with how slow it is to advance every day

Reactions: GOilers88

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Simming has been complete shit ever since the shift to new gen

Only way I was able to tank was by firing my coach making a coach who has Fs across the board my new HC, I then signed two euro FA goalies who were rated in the 50s to be my starters. It produced its own problem with forcing the AI to keep them in the NHL while every other goalie in the organization was better.

Just madness even without constant lineup tinkering it still takes about 2 hours just to sim one season with how slow it is to advance every day
Yah the load times are brutal. Coupled with the absurd number of injuries, even with the sliders down to 10, it's a definite slog.

I just want to tank, dammit. Even when I do an expansion and draft nothing but 3rd and 4th liners, I end up making the playoffs. Then when I've finally been able to build a solid team, they tank hard and then fall down the lottery rankings, everytime. Lol.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Had a couple go rounds this gen where when I tried to tank I made the playoffs and then when I built a contender with high rated players that all fit roles with my coaching staff we shit the bed

Reactions: jetsv2

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I tried to do this with the Canucks as well, much like you traded anyone of any real value outside of Pettersson and Hughes. Only we fell almost to the bottom, but come the draft lottery we moved from 4th to 6th. I think I reloaded because I wanted to try to get 1st overall and the owner fired me. So I went to Arizona and drafted Connor Bedard.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I tried to do this with the Canucks as well, much like you traded anyone of any real value outside of Pettersson and Hughes. Only we fell almost to the bottom, but come the draft lottery we moved from 4th to 6th. I think I reloaded because I wanted to try to get 1st overall and the owner fired me. So I went to Arizona and drafted Connor Bedard.
That kind of reminds me of NHL 06. Got fired for winning the Cup because the Owner wanted the #1 pp or some stupid shit. Was the last time i ever played with can be fired on

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad