Movies: Atomic Blonde

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

Bond/Bourne type lead but played by Charlize Theron. Same guy who co-directed John Wick (which can be seen in the action for sure) and is helming Deadpool 2.

Also starring John Goodman, Til Schweiger, Eddie Marsan, Sofia Boutella and Toby Jones, the film is based on the Oni Press graphic novel series“The Coldest City,” by Antony Johnsto

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
actually looks really good and very well done except....

I just can't buy a female lead in an action movie with hand to hand combat

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
actually looks really good and very well done except....

I just can't buy a female lead in an action movie with hand to hand combat

I could buy it if the female lead used smarts, skill and finesse to outdo her opponent. This trailer though? Trading punches, taking multiple overhand rights to the jaw, and then having her face smashed into the wall like she did just looks completely stupid... unless the title being Atomic Blonde is a reference to her being some type of robot/cyborg.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Every action film of this ilk requires a remarkable degree of suspension of disbelief. They clearly aren't going for realism. The fact that it's a woman as the protagonist is going to be relatively far down the list of "unbelievable" things about this film I imagine. Get over it.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Every action film of this ilk requires a remarkable degree of suspension of disbelief. They clearly aren't going for realism. The fact that it's a woman as the protagonist is going to be relatively far down the list of "unbelievable" things about this film I imagine. Get over it.

Look, I have no problem with women as protagonists in action movies. I loved Scarlett Johanssen as Black Widow and wish the character got her own stand alone film.

There's a difference between Scarlett as BW using quick reflexes and martial arts and Charlize Theron trying to brawl like a drunken irish sailor, getting ragdolled around, slugged, and popping up like bloody John Cena at a two count.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
While the twig supermodel actress playing the badass has always been a pet peeve of mine, you can do a lot worse than Charlize Theron. I thought Furiosa in Mad Max was one of the more believable female badass characters that we've seen recently. Not to say it was believable, but I bought it a lot more than Scarlett Johansson (reliance on skill/finesse or not).

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Every action film of this ilk requires a remarkable degree of suspension of disbelief. They clearly aren't going for realism. The fact that it's a woman as the protagonist is going to be relatively far down the list of "unbelievable" things about this film I imagine.
Exactly.

And it's the year of Wonder Woman. A strong fighting woman is not a new concept, remember Sigourney Weaver as Ripley in Alien, or Linda Hamilton as Sarah Connor in The Terminator. How about the Kill Bill movies. Now fighters like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Summer Glau as 'River' in Serenity, or Jennifer Lawrence in Hunger Games.

If you think about it, how many guys could fight like their super-fighter icons, an ego-ideal for a male audience.

They were interviewing Joanne Froggat (maid from Downton Abbey) on radio recently. She was in New York doing Hamlet. As the character Hamlet. It's the new thing, women want to play male leads too, considering so many of the interesting historical leads are male.

It's just play-acting.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Look, I have no problem with women as protagonists in action movies. I loved Scarlett Johanssen as Black Widow and wish the character got her own stand alone film.

There's a difference between Scarlett as BW using quick reflexes and martial arts and Charlize Theron trying to brawl like a drunken irish sailor, getting ragdolled around, slugged, and popping up like bloody John Cena at a two count.

:laugh:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Joan Wick would have been terribly unbelievable and lost all credibility with me.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Well Theron sure as hell convinced me. Great bad ass. As for the movie, it leaves a lot of fat on the bone but has a really fun third act.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
My GF wants to see it but I'm torn... looks like a wait for on demand/DVD type to me..

NewtJorden

Unitas est Invicta
Aug 9, 2006
Rimouski
Saw it today and i'm very dissapointed in this movie. I thought it would be much better. James McAvoy and Sofia Boutella were great though.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It's fun, especially if you've had a drink. It's stylish and well shot, but the plot is pretty nonsense and the soundtrack is Suicide Squad level overbearing. Theron and McAvoy are good, Sofia Boutella is unreasonably attractive, and the location/time period is interesting. They managed a couple nice sequences but the movie is all over the place quality wise.

I wouldn't pay to see it, but if someone wants to go or wants to watch it, sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad