News Article: Atlantic Division teams' "Mount Puckmore"

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
This is a real off-season, nothing better to talk about kind of thread. ESPN has taken all the Atlantic Division teams and chosen the four players from the teams' histories who best epitomize the team. For the Panthers, they chose Barkov, Bure, Luongo, and Beezer.

After the very first entry (Buffalo) choosing Rob Ray over Pat LaFontaine because of his status as a fan favorite, I really can't understand them passing up Paul Laus under the same guidelines. Also, they left off Scott Mellanby, who was responsible for the term "rat trick" that so defined the franchise's first 12 years, though Mellanby is at least in their list of possible replacements and you can vote for him as the biggest snub. But no mention of some of the bigger names of the past (for games played, points, workhorse status, leadership, fan favorite, etc.) - no Svehla, no Laus, no Ray Whitney, no Bill Lindsay, no Brian Skrudland or Ray Sheppard. I think the writer clearly never paid much attention to the Panthers and didn't bother to delve much into their history.

I'm not a Leafs fan, but they also had a laughable top 4, since there's no way you make a Leafs Mount Rushmore without Wendel Clark or Tie Domi. Sundin, yeah...but those other two? Domi didn't even get an honorable mention.

Mount Puckmore: Four players who define each Atlantic team

So who would people here put on their "Mount Puckmore?"

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Not 100% sure about Barkov....yet. Might still be Svehla at #4. Eventually it will be Barkov; no question. Just not sure he is on our Mt. Rushmore yet. Svehla averaged 41 points per season for seven straight seasons as the team's No. 1 blueliner.

Reactions: Clint

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I mean if they are only allowed to pick four players, surely everyone isn't going to be happy with the four they end up picking.

-ghoste

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
Not 100% sure about Barkov....yet. Might still be Svehla at #4. Eventually it will be Barkov; no question. Just not sure he is on our Mt. Rushmore yet. Svehla averaged 41 points per season for seven straight seasons as the team's No. 1 blueliner.

I'm always blown away by just how under-appreciated / under-recognized Svehla is. He had such a solid career with us as a prototypical two-way defenseman and the dude just never missed games. He even scored 45 points with Toronto in his last year and then retired at the age of 33. He could have played five or six more years for sure.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I'm always blown away by just how under-appreciated / under-recognized Svehla is. He had such a solid career with us as a prototypical two-way defenseman and the dude just never missed games. He even scored 45 points with Toronto in his last year and then retired at the age of 33. He could have played five or six more years for sure.

In 96-97 he was a top 10 defenseman in the league, no doubt about it.

Lundell4Prez

Yandle = Bad
Jul 5, 2008
I don't think the list is off.. especially to the general public. Those are the 4 that I'd guess we'd be most commonly associated with.

On mount puckmore of the all time panther fan... I'd go with Mellanby-Weiss-Beezer-Laus .. Eventually Barkov gets in there. Svehla, Luongo, Skrudland would be next.

Reactions: 5 Hole

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This is a real off-season, nothing better to talk about kind of thread. ESPN has taken all the Atlantic Division teams and chosen the four players from the teams' histories who best epitomize the team. For the Panthers, they chose Barkov, Bure, Luongo, and Beezer.

After the very first entry (Buffalo) choosing Rob Ray over Pat LaFontaine because of his status as a fan favorite, I really can't understand them passing up Paul Laus under the same guidelines. Also, they left off Scott Mellanby, who was responsible for the term "rat trick" that so defined the franchise's first 12 years, though Mellanby is at least in their list of possible replacements and you can vote for him as the biggest snub. But no mention of some of the bigger names of the past (for games played, points, workhorse status, leadership, fan favorite, etc.) - no Svehla, no Laus, no Ray Whitney, no Bill Lindsay, no Brian Skrudland or Ray Sheppard. I think the writer clearly never paid much attention to the Panthers and didn't bother to delve much into their history.

I'm not a Leafs fan, but they also had a laughable top 4, since there's no way you make a Leafs Mount Rushmore without Wendel Clark or Tie Domi. Sundin, yeah...but those other two? Domi didn't even get an honorable mention.

Just stumbled into this. But, there is no way in hell Domi makes it on the Leafs Mount Rushmore or that the choices are laughable. I mean, for the Leafs 100 year celebration they put out an 100 player list in a ranked order. Here's the list. I can't realistically see an argument for putting Domi above any of the guys on it. Kennedy was captain over arguably the greatest era in Leafs history. Keon is labelled the greatest Leaf of all time (and the last Leafs captain to have been on the 67 squad). Sundin is iconic for this generation, it was Sundin's team Domi played on. Salming is an interesting last choice. Arguments for Clark, Gilmore, Bower, Sittler, Broda could be made for that spot. Personally, I'd put Bower due to his community involvement until he died in his 90's combined with his role as the #1 on multiple cup winning teams.

Maple Leafs name greatest players in their history

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
I don't think the list is off.. especially to the general public. Those are the 4 that I'd guess we'd be most commonly associated with.

On mount puckmore of the all time panther fan... I'd go with Mellanby-Weiss-Beezer-Laus .. Eventually Barkov gets in there. Svehla, Luongo, Skrudland would be next.

Weiss, Mellanby, Laus, Jokinen and Skrewy are all honorable mentions.

Luongo, Racist, and Bure are locks. The only players who were post-season all-star team selections as Panthers.

I don't see an argument over Svehla at #4 yet. I mean, averaging 41 points a season as a defenseman for seven straight seasons, all in the DPE, playing in all situations for a club that has always been offensively inept? That's amazing.

Reactions: BabyBarkov

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

Weiss...??? maybe as the poster child of 10 non-playoff years and unrealized potential...

Lundell4Prez

Yandle = Bad
Jul 5, 2008
Weiss...??? maybe as the poster child of 10 non-playoff years and unrealized potential...

Yes, Weiss.. The guy with the most career games played in a Panthers uniform.. The team sucked when he was here, yes, but it definitely wasn't his fault... Plus, I said "I'd go with" on my Mount Puckmore... SO, sorry you disagree.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Yes, Weiss.. The guy with the most career games played in a Panthers uniform.. The team sucked when he was here, yes, but it definitely wasn't his fault... Plus, I said "I'd go with" on my Mount Puckmore... SO, sorry you disagree.

In reality, Weiss was a second line centre. If he's on a Mount Rushmore, then it sums up how bad this organisation has been. I liked him as a player, and fair enough, he was here a long time. But that is kind of sad if he makes it imo.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Beezer, Bure, Luongo and Laus (lol, it would help for the eventual change if Barkov and Laus look similar) would be my picks for FL's Mount Svehla.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
This thread was enough to bring me back from the lurk.

vdctht.jpg

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

How does someone funk up the F.C. + Hasek Rushmore??

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Just stumbled into this. But, there is no way in hell Domi makes it on the Leafs Mount Rushmore or that the choices are laughable. I mean, for the Leafs 100 year celebration they put out an 100 player list in a ranked order. Here's the list. I can't realistically see an argument for putting Domi above any of the guys on it. Kennedy was captain over arguably the greatest era in Leafs history. Keon is labelled the greatest Leaf of all time (and the last Leafs captain to have been on the 67 squad). Sundin is iconic for this generation, it was Sundin's team Domi played on. Salming is an interesting last choice. Arguments for Clark, Gilmore, Bower, Sittler, Broda could be made for that spot. Personally, I'd put Bower due to his community involvement until he died in his 90's combined with his role as the #1 on multiple cup winning teams.

espn is almost as embarassing as the NHLs own media

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Svehla was also known for last minute meltdowns in play...but hardly his fault since he typically got played for over 30 minutes a game, just hammering home he was a quintessential Panther. Really can't see him being so easily forgotten.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont

I'd only state that the writer established a "fan favorite" standard with his selection of Rob Ray for the Sabres, and I remember Domi being spoken of as the most feared fighter in the game, and one of the few leafs that got mention outside of Toronto during the 90s (when the team was generally struggling). Off the top of my head, I recall Clark, CuJo, Sundin, Domi...maybe Yushkevic as the top names from the 90s Leafs. Not many others, though admittedly the nearly 19 years since has eroded my memory. So I'd nod to Domi's reputation to make him at least an honorable mention for the list, given the inconsistent standards insisted upon by the writer.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
In reality, Weiss was a second line centre. If he's on a Mount Rushmore, then it sums up how bad this organisation has been. I liked him as a player, and fair enough, he was here a long time. But that is kind of sad if he makes it imo.
Him and Jokinen both, since by the end Jokinen was destroying the team spirit and helping ruin Horton in hopes of getting traded. Nothing against Weiss though - the team simply asked too much from him expecting a guy who peaked around 60 points to be a star player.

Reactions: I am not exposed

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'd only state that the writer established a "fan favorite" standard with his selection of Rob Ray for the Sabres, and I remember Domi being spoken of as the most feared fighter in the game, and one of the few leafs that got mention outside of Toronto during the 90s (when the team was generally struggling). Off the top of my head, I recall Clark, CuJo, Sundin, Domi...maybe Yushkevic as the top names from the 90s Leafs. Not many others, though admittedly the nearly 19 years since has eroded my memory. So I'd nod to Domi's reputation to make him at least an honorable mention for the list, given the inconsistent standards insisted upon by the writer.
Its more how far the Leafs history goes back. You could use the same logic to put Tiger Williams up. I do like the Yushkevich mention, he was one of the favorites of my childhood. Biggest name you missing is Gilmour for the 90's, he was king of the city while he was here. Same with Potvin.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Its more how far the Leafs history goes back. You could use the same logic to put Tiger Williams up. I do like the Yushkevich mention, he was one of the favorites of my childhood. Biggest name you missing is Gilmour for the 90's, he was king of the city while he was here. Same with Potvin.
Yep, I was indeed forgetting them, as I said, erosion ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad