Atlantic Division Preview

SenatorsGM

Jun 25, 2012
With preseason games just underway an Atlantic Division preview is in order. Lets start with a predicted finish in the new Atlantic Division. This is aurguably the toughest division in the league, there isn't much seperating the top 4 finishers in the division and it wouldn't be suprising to see any one of the top 4 teams win the division. The leagues 4 best goaltenders reside in the Atlantic: Lundqvist(Detroit), Rinne(Montreal), Niemi(Toronto) and Quick(Florida) so every game is a grind for goals.

1. Montreal
2. Toronto
3. Florida (Defending Champs)
4. Buffalo
5. Detroit (Presidents Trophy Winner)
6. Boston
7. Ottawa
8. Tampa Bay

Montreal Canadians

Lets start with their bold trade to aquire one of the leagues best goaltenders Pekke Rinne. After missing the playoffs in a fate underserving of the teams talent GM Kowalchuk aimed to remedy the weak link and strengthen his goaltending. Icing one of the best defense pairings in the league with Erik Karlsson and Dan Girardi infront of Rinne there won't be many saves to make. Up front perhaps the best 2 way forward in hockey Patrice Bergeron leads a younger and less experienced group this year with the exception of Patrik Elias. This is the beginning of a bright future.

Toronto Maple Leafs

The greatest asset the Leafs possess is depth at all positions. They can roll 3 very good forward lines that will cause problems for whomever they are matched up against. Their goalie tandem is probably the best in the league headlined by Antti Niemi. Their top 2 dmen are young and talented. OEL and McDonagh will be a dynamite 1-2 this year and for many more to come. With all the firepower they have going now the Leafs have top prospect Nail Yakapov waiting in the wings to lead the team offensively.

Florida Panthers

The Champs are here!! The Champs are here!! You need goaltending to win and the Panthers have one the very best in Jonathon Quick. The Panthers have a well balanced team both from a forward stand point and a defensive one. Largely a veteran group that uses its savvy as much as its skill to win games. James Neal, Mike Richards and Joffery Lupul form an amazing skating line that should generate plenty of offensive. If the game is close teams better try to close out against the Panthers because Matt Hendricks is a shootout magician.

Buffalo Sabres

Buffalo GM Pitt has a little roster management to care of before the season starts. After taking care of a little business his team should be in the thick of a playoff spot hunt or even battling for the division title. Having the leagues oldest average age team signals that the time is now for the Sabres! Alexandre The Great Ovechkin can single handedly win games and I'm sure he will win his fair share for Buffalo this year. Bobby Lou swash puckling pucks out of the net with J-BO and Joni Pitkanen logging major minutes on D Buffalo will be a tough test every game.

Detroit Red Wings

The leagues reigning Presidents Trophy winner and first legacy franchise is in the eastern conference and Atlantic Division for the first time thanks to re-alignment. They don't call Henrik Lundqvist "KING" because he's the second best goalie, no he is the leagues best goalie and the foundation from which the Red Wings success is built upon. Jerome Iginla was brought in to bring strong presence not only to ice but in a leadership role more importantly. One of the games bright young stars Claude Giroux will lead the offence while Tim Gleason locks down the defensive zone.

Boston Bruins

Finishing in the bottom 3 in the league won't be the fate of the Bruins this year. The Bruins may not look a playoff team but they come in all forms. This may not be the year the Bruins win it all but winning more than last year should be attainable. Lead by the greatest sports laugher in history Jason "Giggles" Spezza brings the swagger to the offensive and the locker room. Shattenkirk and Voynov are two emerging defensemen that will only inprove with time. Craig Anderson tends the blue ice and can get crazy hot and be unbeatable for stretches.

Ottawa Senators

In GM Jeff Miller's First season at the helm he steered the Senators into a suprise playoff birth on the last day of the season. Managing only one playoff win illustrated the gap between playoff team and contender. The mainstay on the Sens is the well rounded and always producing Henrik Zetterberg. PK Subban seemed to mature over night and will log a ton of minutes as an all situation player. Getting off to a hot start helped the Senators make the playoffs and they'll need it again from Ryan Miller if they hope to make the post season.

Tampa Bay Lightning

"Team Under Construction" is what is going on here. It's been 7 years since the Lightning last played a post season game and it looks like it'll be 8 by the end of this season. Goaltending will be a sore spot for the Lightning as they lack a true number one in net. Mats Zuccarello and Dan Cleary lead a forward group that must "WILL" their way to victory. Lube Visnovsky and Dmitry Kulikov are slick skating puck movers who will be relied on for much of the offence and to keep the other teams best players at bay.

The Atlantic Division won't be a fun one to play in or against this year as 2 of the last 3 league Champs call it home.

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Easy solution to this and I have been arguing about it for years. If a player played in NA the previous year they are eligible. Don't play a game for whatever reason in NA and you are ineligible the next year. As it stands now its too complicated.

Last edited:

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
There is no good reason that Pitkanen shouldn't be allowed to play this season in hfnhl.

His IJ rating should reflect his injury status and that's it.

If he misses this entire season then he should be still be allowed to play until his HFNHL contract expires with his IJ rating continuing to reflect his injury status.

Dumb rule is dumb.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Easy solution to this and I have been arguing about it for years. If a player played in NA the previous year they are eligible. Don't play a game for whatever reason in NA and you are ineligible the next year. As it stands now its too complicated.

Would this apply to all players, or simply to injuries? Your wording implies you mean retired players and those who go to Europe as well, but perhaps that wasn't the intent.

Ville is correct, that based on precedent, Pitkanen does not seem to be eligible. When a player is declared to not be playing for the upcoming year, they have long been deemed unavailable in the HFNHL. Frankly, I don't even remember the original argument for this rule, but it dates back a very long time.

There is no good reason that Pitkanen shouldn't be allowed to play this season in hfnhl.

His IJ rating should reflect his injury status and that's it.

If he misses this entire season then he should be still be allowed to play until his HFNHL contract expires with his IJ rating continuing to reflect his injury status.

Dumb rule is dumb.

One of the benefits of this rule, which was not in play when it was established, is we don't have to debate the merits of a player's "injury". This way the rule applies whether you are Marc Savard, Chris Pronger, Paul Kariya or Joni Pitkanen.

The implication is that Chris Pronger and Marc Savard could play another several years in the HFNHL with a low IJ rating, as they won't "retire" for a while. This seems pretty silly, particularly as players with low IJ ratings can sometimes remain healthy all year anyways (see Crosby in the HFNHL last year).

Last edited:

Brent Burns Beard