Atlantic Division Preseason Power Rankings

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Interesting that our ranking is better than last year's. Glad some people could see the cracks before even last season started.

Detroit will be interesting. They're definitely banking on their youth to develop. Adding Brad Richards and Mike Green isn't going to be what powers them to success.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Interesting that our ranking is better than last year's. Glad some people could see the cracks before even last season started.

Detroit will be interesting. They're definitely banking on their youth to develop. Adding Brad Richards and Mike Green isn't going to be what powers them to success.

I saw that too, but I think those were the actual final standings, rather than last years pre-season projections. Otherwise whoever did those projections is a wizard.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA

No, but it makes their depth quite formidable.

Their top 9 is quite formidable, when healthy:

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Franzen
Tatar - Sheahan - Nyquist
Abdelkader - Richards - Jurco

That third line could be key. All 3 guys still have 40 point potential. The 2nd line all started to blossom last season and should continue to this year, and that first line is still dominant if they can actually stay healthy.

And while Mike Green isn't the greatest defensive player in the world, it's much more realistic to rely on him to play 20 minutes a night than Kyle Quincey or Brendan Smith. Green can fit well on a second pair with Ericsson as their styles compliment each other, DeKeyser can continue to be mentored by Kronwall, and the bottom pairing can be less stress enduced with a rotation of the young guys, and Kindl. I think the bottom pair will definitely see a bit of rotation between Kindl, Marchenko, Quincey, and Ouellet.

In any case...I mostly agree with the list, except I'd switch Boston and Montreal. I think Montreal might take a step back because I don't think Price will be capable of putting up back to back MVP-type seasons. They'll fall back to earth.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009

That third line could be key. All 3 guys still have 40 point potential. The 2nd line all started to blossom last season and should continue to this year, and that first line is still dominant if they can actually stay healthy.

Problem is Datsyuk is already expected to miss at a minimum the first month of the season, and Franzen is recovering from a concussion and even prior to that was in steep decline.

Still a lot of talented players though in Tatar/Gus/Jurco and you're right that in particular Richards should be a solid depth pickup if any of their older guys are dinged up.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
We definitely need to be able take advantage from Detroit's injury problems at the start of the season.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

And while Mike Green isn't the greatest defensive player in the world, it's much more realistic to rely on him to play 20 minutes a night than Kyle Quincey or Brendan Smith. Green can fit well on a second pair with Ericsson as their styles compliment each other, DeKeyser can continue to be mentored by Kronwall, and the bottom pairing can be less stress enduced with a rotation of the young guys, and Kindl. I think the bottom pair will definitely see a bit of rotation between Kindl, Marchenko, Quincey, and Ouellet.

In any case...I mostly agree with the list, except I'd switch Boston and Montreal. I think Montreal might take a step back because I don't think Price will be capable of putting up back to back MVP-type seasons. They'll fall back to earth.

In addition, isn't Pacioretty going to miss the first month or two of the season?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
In addition, isn't Pacioretty going to miss the first month or two of the season?

He could be ready at the start of the season but not at 100% at all.

They can't have as healthy year as they did last year, right? :laugh:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I like your analysis, but want to add that they have 4 guys in their top 9 that are 35+. For everyone of the young guys that steps up, there is an equal chance one of the old guys will fall down.

Plus the goaltending is gross.

And I'd argue Boston's disastrous blue line has easily more upside than Detroit's.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The Sabres being anything higher than 7th (ahead of the Leafs) is absurd IMO. Their outlook is great for the future, but I seriously doubt they put it all together this year when they're relying on so many unproven players in significant roles. I think Florida is much more likely to have their young stars have a true breakout year. Buffalo's long-term projection is fantastic though.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
The Sabres being anything higher than 7th (ahead of the Leafs) is absurd IMO. Their outlook is great for the future, but I seriously doubt they put it all together this year when they're relying on so many unproven players in significant roles. I think Florida is much more likely to have their young stars have a true breakout year. Buffalo's long-term projection is fantastic though.

That's how I see the divison:

TB will be in the top-3 if not 1st.
Tor and Buf will miss the playoffs.

That leaves Bos-Det-Flo-Mtl-Ott to battle for the 2 other spots in the division for the playoffs and the leftover for the two WC spots. Not a big margin between those teams and performances by individuals/injuries/luck will have a big part in the final standings.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
I like your analysis, but want to add that they have 4 guys in their top 9 that are 35+. For everyone of the young guys that steps up, there is an equal chance one of the old guys will fall down.

Plus the goaltending is gross.

And I'd argue Boston's disastrous blue line has easily more upside than Detroit's.

I think Jimmy Howard is quite gross, but I actually love Petr Mrazek. I seriously think he steals that starting job from Howard this year, even if Howard is healthy.

And if you think about that team, they made the playoffs last year in spite of that d-core, and it kind of gives Bruins fans some hope in comparison. :laugh:

I agree with your point about the old guys. I really think Datsyuk will never be truly healthy again, but when he is on the ice, he is still one of the best in the league. I don't think his production will ever drop off. It's just a matter of staying on the ice.

Zetterberg as well. Both him and Datsyuk are ageless. Those guys just ooze so much skill, as long as they can stay on the ice.

Franzen and Richards though, I can certainly see slipping. Richards we already know slipped, and Franzen we don't really know yet, but concussions are a tricky beast.

I think for that team to succeed, they need big years from Sheahan and Jurco, they need Mrazek to emerge, and they need one of Marchenko or Ouellet to really take over a steady role on defense. Either that, or Datsyuk and Zetterberg stay healthy.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston

Has there ever been a season where any of those 9 players haven't missed at least 40 games? Feels like there hasn't.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

I like Buffalo's forwards, but not sure about that defense and goaltending at this point.

Adding Kane, RoR and Eichel is a pretty good infusion of talent..

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC
I like Buffalo's forwards, but not sure about that defense and goaltending at this point.

Adding Kane, RoR and Eichel is a pretty good infusion of talent..

That's what I was thinking. I wouldn't count Buffalo out from the start. Their forward core isn't bad at all. I can honestly see them battling for a playoff spot with the Bruins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad