Atlanta to Winnipeg

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
The real question in all of this is what happens with divisional and conference alignments. For years, Detroit has been lobbying the league to get into the Eastern Conference... Geographically, Columbus would probably be the first team in line, but they hardly have the sway of a Mike Illitch...

Even if it's as simple as Winnipeg joining the Central Division in place of one of those two teams, the question remains, where does the new Eastern Conference team go? Do you just plunk them into the SE conference, or do you shuffle the deck?

'Curiouser and curiouser,' said Alice...

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
We'll follow the NHL's lead. With this happening so late in the game, it seems altogether likely that WPG could play in the SE for the 2011-12 season before the league reshuffles.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
One thing that sucks for Ryan is that the size of the arena will shrink so drastically.

Also - I wonder what the name of the new franchise will be. Will they purchase the rights to the Jets name and logo (Who owns it even? The Coyotes?)?

I vote for one of these names:

Winnipeg Muddy Waters (if they could get those rights...)
Winnipeg RedRivers

or perhaps one of the archival names from the past

Warriors
Monarchs

Thoughts?

EDIT: Turns out the NHL owns the Jets name - so I'm sure they'll get to use that. Especially given the 65 million relocation fee. ouch. http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/05/31/winnipeg-jets-return_n_869149.html

Last edited:

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
I acknowledge that Atlanta is a crappy hockey market, and a lousy sports market, period. However, while I'm happy and all for Winnipeg today, they'd better not screw this up.

Frankly, for all the love the "Bring back the Jets" campaign has gotten, the Board of Governors should be demanding 15,000 season tickets.

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
This season shouldn't be hard to sell out everygame but I think they need to seriously consider a bigger arena or guaruntee that they will be competative for everyseason or else they will slowly lose the fan base and cash flow

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
The viability of Winnipeg, and perhaps even a future Quebec franchise will likely hinge on the CDN $. If it stays around or above par, it is totally viable. But if it drops down to the $0.67 range again, it basically increases player salaries by 50%, which is no easy weight to avoid for a smaller market with low-end rink. Thankfully for Canadian teams, US fiscal policy and quantative easing is making it very easy for the Canadian $ to stay strong going forward. BO likely won't really fix this mess until he is re-elected, so CDN $ will likely go up in the next 18 months before it goes down again. Will be interesting to see.

Thankfully Thomson has some pretty deep pockets though, so he can subsidize that team as long as he is inclined to. Happy for Winnipeg. Funny how we've all been watching Phoenix for so long, and then rather suddenly, Atlanta is jettisoned there. Jets fans were probably already familarizing themselves with Coyotes prospect roster and now have to totally shift gears.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
The Phoenix situation is a truly bizarre one. I guess what it comes down to there is that, so long as the local politicians continue to throw their weight behind subsidizing the team, the NHL will support a team in Phoenix.

To me, it just seems like bad money chasing after bad money. One of the worst examples of a taxpayer-financed arena gone bad.

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
The NHL owns the Coyotes and therefore most likely own the rights to the Jets nickname. Could be interesting to see if the Winnipeg franchise chooses it's AHL team in Atlanta.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00