Atlanta part 4: Will the Thrashers be Gone With The Wind?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Didn't the Fugu fish declare that no Atlanta thread be open 'till there was actual news?

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
We'll have to see what his writeup on TSN is. More speculation, or are there actual facts?

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Perhaps related to Dreger's upcoming report, just posted on TSN:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=363831

According to sources, if a deal is made to keep the Coyotes in Glendale, there's a chance the Thrashers will move quickly into negotiations with True North to move the team to Winnipeg. A source close to the situation added that when it comes to relocation, there simply isn't anywhere else to go.

There are also questions as to whether Thrashers ownership and True North could work out an agreement, but the possibility is not being ruled out.

I've heard this old "If Phoenix stays, then Atlanta goes to Winnipeg" stuff before, but I believe this is the first time a legit source has published it.

dj4aces

Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Yaaawn. Same speculation, different story.

Just for grins, given the thread title: I live in the city where Gone With The Wind was filmed.

Grudy0

Mar 16, 2011
Maryland
Time to break it down...
According to sources, if a deal is made to keep the Coyotes in Glendale, there's a chance the Thrashers will move quickly into negotiations with True North to move the team to Winnipeg.
There's a "chance" that TNSE and ASG could have negotations. Meaning there aren't any negotiations right now.
A source close to the situation added that when it comes to relocation, there simply isn't anywhere else to go.
Now we're down from "sources" to "a source", and we all know that TNSE is the only truly interested ownership group that has been given a green-light from the league. This is a real leap of faith. :rolleyes:

The specuation here on HF has been better than this article.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
According to sources, if a deal is made to keep the Coyotes in Glendale, there's a chance the Thrashers will move quickly into negotiations with True North to move the team to Winnipeg.

Why would ASG wait to see where the Coyotes play next year to throw their name in the ring? If anything, they would be using the angle of "Hey, this Phoenix thing could go on a while. We're here and ready to sell now"

I'm in agreement, this is speculation.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The only reason I could think that Atlanta would be holding out until the Phoenix situation is resolved is that they may be able to get more money out of a sale if they're the only option for True North to get a team. Otherwise I don't see it...at the very least not as a viable option for next season. I could see a situation where True North would end up getting the team, but by that point they'd almost certainly be forced to play a lame duck season in Atlanta, where they'd stand to lose a metric **** ton of money.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
If I was an ATL fan I wouldn't at all be worried. I've been fooled more than once by the NHL but no more. Winnipeg has been used twice as a motivator to keep the Coyotes in Glendale, and I believe, especially with Dreger (NHL schill) 'breaking' this news, that it's nothing more than a ruse to force these potential local guys into accelerating action.

My friend said something very interesting (and true IMO) to me: He said "If the NHL leaves Atlanta they can never go back. Doesn't it make more sense to save ATL than PHO?"

dj4aces

Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
If I was an ATL fan I wouldn't at all be worried. I've been fooled more than once by the NHL but no more. Winnipeg has been used twice as a motivator to keep the Coyotes in Glendale, and I believe, especially with Dreger (NHL schill) 'breaking' this news, that it's nothing more than a ruse to force these potential local guys into accelerating action.

My friend said something very interesting (and true IMO) to me: He said "If the NHL leaves Atlanta they can never go back. Doesn't it make more sense to save ATL than PHO?"

When I first saw Dreger's tweet (quoted above), worried is what I was. It sounds so definitive, as if he'd have some real information.

Then, I read the story. It's the same stuff we've been hearing for months. The overwhelming sense of relief is hard to describe.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

I also believe it's Dreger playing on Winnipeg's passion for a team to gain more reads.

Chief Ten Bears*

dshoalts David Shoalts
How long would it take Atlanta Thrashers to replace Coyotes in going to Winnipeg? See Irsay, Robert and Baltimore/Indianapolis Colts.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
When I first saw Dreger's tweet (quoted above), worried is what I was. It sounds so definitive, as if he'd have some real information.

Then, I read the story. It's the same stuff we've been hearing for months. The overwhelming sense of relief is hard to describe.

Gotta tell you aces, when all this is said and done (ATL and PHO) the real losers for me will be the media. I have lost all faith in these buffoons, especially a pathetic suckup like Dreger. He is only interested in doing 2 things here: Pandering to the NHL's wishes, and encouraging people to tune in to tonight's broadcast so he can give us zero new information.

There is no such thing as sports journalism anymore. Just sensationalism and padding the bottom line.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
If I'm a neutral and unbiased observer (which I'm not, and very few are in these threads), why should I believe Kincade's Balkan character any more than this speculation from Dreger?

Grudy0

Mar 16, 2011
Maryland
dshoalts David Shoalts
How long would it take Atlanta Thrashers to replace Coyotes in going to Winnipeg? See Irsay, Robert and Baltimore/Indianapolis Colts.
As I recall it, the NFL gave Robert Irsay permission to move the Colts months before they vacated via 15 Mayflower trucks at 2am in March, 1984.

I don't believe Atlanta Spirit Group has been given such approval.

Chief Ten Bears*

Darren Dreger
@georgemalik @railfan514. More than a rumor, but thanks for the mention. It's a strong consideration confirmed by ATL, NHL and Wpg sources.

Fugu

Didn't the Fugu fish declare that no Atlanta thread be open 'till there was actual news?

I guess Dreger wanted another thread, and LS came up with a cool title.

We can let it stew for a bit, but at this point I feel like we should just merge all the Yotes, Thrashers and Winnipeg jets into one thread, then delete it when no one is looking. :sarcasm:

And let's not start with the "fans in X think blah, blah, blah" stuff so that the other guys can respond. I'm tired of it.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
As I recall it, the NFL gave Robert Irsay permission to move the Colts months before they vacated via 15 Mayflower trucks at 2am in March, 1984.

I don't believe Atlanta Spirit Group has been given such approval.

The NFL did not give approval - they simply acknowledged that under the injunction from the Raiders case (making their relocation restrictions non enforceable) they had no control over the situation

And boy Irsay was one d-bag of an owner in Baltimore. He had basically tried to move the Colts ever since he bought them - threatening to move to Phoenix, Indianapolis, LA, Jacksonville, and NY(???) before finally spurning Baltimore's last offer before moving to Indianapolis (two days before the Franchise may have been seized under eminent domain).

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baltimore-colts/bal-baltimore-colts-move-timeline,0,4891536.story
March 30, 1976: Four years after he bought the team, Robert Irsay acknowledged he had received "an attractive offer" to move the club to Phoenix.

Jan. 9, 1977: During Super Bowl XI, Irsay said he'd been approached by Indianapolis about plans to move the team and build a rent-free stadium. "I can get the votes. We can move if we want to," he said.

Jan. 27, 1979: Tired of delays for the Owings Mills complex, Irsay met with the Los Angeles Coliseum Commission. Kenneth Hahn, president of the commission, referred to the team as the L.A. Colts in a news conference immediately afterward. Irsay called off the second meeting a day later.

June 11, 1979: Irsay threatened to move to L.A. because Gov. Harry Hughes and Mayor William Donald Schaefer wouldn't talk about improvements for Memorial Stadium. L.A. officials denied having any contact with Irsay for five months.

Aug. 8, 1979: Irsay said he had offers from Jacksonville, Fla., Indianapolis and Phoenix to move.

Sept. 26, 1979: Irsay said Jacksonville promised $60 million in revenues over 10 years and improvements to the Gator Bowl. He also said he had offers from Memphis, Tenn., and L.A. "It's not a matter of if I'm leaving [Baltimore], but where I'm going," Irsay reportedly said three times in meetings with Jacksonville officials.

Jan. 5, 1984: Irsay opened negotiations with Arizona real-estate developer Anthony Nicoli about moving or selling the club.

Feb. 3, 1984: Irsay reportedly held negotiations with New York City to play in Shea Stadium.

Feb. 27, 1984: Indianapolis officials reportedly offered a lucrative deal to Irsay, which included use of the city's new, $80 million domed stadium and a new practice facility.

March 2, 1984: At the NFL owners meeting in Chicago, commissioner Pete Rozelle said the league would not stand in the way of an Irsay move because of legal ramifications over Al Davis' case.

March 6, 1984: Coach Frank Kush, Jimmy Irsay and lawyer Michael Chernoff flew to Indianapolis under assumed names to inspect the dome. Maryland's secretary of economic development, Frank De Francis, met with a group of the state's top corporate executives to discuss an offer to Irsay.

March 15, 1984: Irsay met Arizona Gov. Bruce Babbitt and four others (Harry Cavanagh, Keith Turley, Eddie Lynch and Jim Simmons) in Bakersfield, Calif. Phoenix was willing to match the $15 million loan at 8 percent, the $5 million practice facility and added a promise to build a downtown domed stadium.

March 25, 1984: Irsay flew to National Airport to meet Schaefer and De Francis. They offered an expanded package they believed met Irsay's demands.

March 27, 1984: Irsay presented a new list of demands by phone to De Francis, including a $15 million loan at 8 percent interest; a guaranteed average home attendance of 43,000; and an offer of $6.6 million, up from $4.4 million, to purchase the training complex. Meanwhile, the State Senate approved by a vote of 38-4 the eminent domain legislation that would give Baltimore power to seize ownership of the Colts. It had not yet gone to the House of Delegates.

March 28, 1984: De Francis and Schaefer each tried twice to reach Irsay by phone to tell him the city would accept a new list of demands. Irsay did not take the calls. Shortly before 10 p.m., the moving vans arrived in Owings Mills.

March 28-29, 1984: Colts moved to Indianapolis.

March 29, 1984: Hughes signed the eminent domain bill shortly before noon. The city wired a $40 million offer to Irsay, an offer that is normally a prelude to an eminent domain action.

March 30, 1984: Baltimore filed an eminent domain suit.

Dec. 10, 1985: Federal court rejected the city's condemnation suit against the Colts. U.S. District Court Judge Walter E. Black Jr. in Baltimore, ruled the team had moved beyond Baltimore's legal reach when the city acted. According to Schaefer, city had spent more than $500,000 in legal fees on various Colts cases.

Magnus Fulgur

Nov 27, 2002
A good indicator of what is going on behind the scenes is Zach Bogosian. He's really homesick in Atlanta, and had his brother live with him in Atlanta last summer as they made him work out rehab and train there. His interview up at the Thrashers' official site right now has him sounding resigned - that he just wants to go home, spend the whole summer with his family, and be ready to play hockey next year...but he's not gung ho about The Thrashers at all. Whether or not Atlanta moves this summer, I fully expect Bogosian to be traded to a NE team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad