NBA Atlanta Hawks, the most mediocre franchise ever?

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by HisIceness, Jul 18, 2020.

1. REMINDER: Political Discussion is NOT PERMITTED
    Dismiss Notice
  1. HisIceness This is Hurricanes Hockey

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    And by ever I'm talking about all the big leagues in North America.

Their one and only championship was 1958 as the St. Louis Hawks. The franchise relocated to Atlanta in 1968, and since then they've had one conference finals appearance (2015), where they were soundly swept by LeBron. They have a few division titles and a few of their players/coaches have won some accolades, but 50+ years in Georgia, and yet just one trip past round 2.

They are never good enough to become a contender and yet despite having some stinkers of a season, are either not bad enough for a top-3 pick or don't draft well when they do. It looks like Trae Young for Luka Doncic might not blow up in their face but we still don't know how that will shake out. They also are not really a UFA destination, who was their last big-name UFA to sign with them? I thought it was Joe Johnson in 2005 but the Hawks did a sign and trade for him.

Despite being in a large-ish market (and one that is home to TNT), no one really talks about them. They had a stretch of 9 straight playoff appearances but they were never title contenders and never had a superstar talent on the roster, so they rarely got any attention from the rest of the NBA. Even in Atlanta there seems to be apathetic enthusiasm for them unless they are having a 2015-ish season, which rarely happens anyway.

So what say you? Who else in the world of North American sports would challenge the Atlanta Hawks for this "title"?

2. BKIslandersFan Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    There are a whole bunch of NBA franchises that can make the same claim. Magic? Grizzlies? Pelicans? Hornets?

3. Terry Yake Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    i'd put the pels and hornets above the hawks if you're making a list of most mediocre NBA franchises

the hawks were a pretty good team for several years there in the late 2000s-early 2010s and made the ECF in 2015

Voight likes this.
  4. BKIslandersFan Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    upload_2020-7-20_12-31-23.jpeg

You wanna talk about mediocrity?

5. Spring in Fialta Ye lyin'dog

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    None, or '' Starlet ''
    They're terrible, not mediocre.

Blackhawkswincup and DoyleG like this.
  6. Voight #winning

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Magic have made the finals twice in 30 years. Thats as many times as the Celtics, Mavericks, Nets, etc and more than the Sixers, Suns, Clippers. Sure they didn't win but at least they have been in the mix.

It was kind of disappointing that Johnson/Smith/Horford core never went anywhere.

HisIceness likes this.
  7. Blackhawkswincup RIP Fugu

SB Cash:
    $ 104,826
    I would say Hawks are pretty good pick for being most mediocre NBA team

Even the Pacers had that run in 90's/00 when they made a finals and lost 4 Conf Finals

HisIceness and Voight like this.
  8. HisIceness This is Hurricanes Hockey

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    The Magic also had the Shaq/Penny years as short as they were, and also the Dwight Howard era when he was 'superman' and took them to the '09 Finals. That Shaq/Penny team was pretty popular world-wide too.

I saw the Hornets/Pelicans brought up. Difference being that the Hawks have been around longer than either of those two franchises and the Hornets history involves two different teams, and technically I believe the Pelicans history stars as the New Orleans Hornets in 2002. I get the argument but in this case, the longevity of the Hawks in Atlanta can't be ignored.

The Hawks in 50 years in Atlanta have never done better than a sweep in ECFs in 2015. Even at 60 wins and 4 All-Stars that year, did anyone take them seriously as title contenders? LeBron was easily gearing up for yet another Finals appearance and he had no problem disposing of the Hawks. After that the Hawks got swept again by the Cavs the next year in round 2, and lost in 6 to the Wizards in round 1 in 2017 and have yet to return to the postseason. They had 9 years of being in the playoffs and were never serious contenders.

Voight likes this.
  9. BKIslandersFan Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Hawks do have a chip though, granted in St.Louis.

Which is hilarious, because St.Louis might be the only city to have Super Bowl, NBA title, Stanley Cup, and World Series wins without actually having 2 of the 4 leagues teams.

Le Champion, HisIceness and Voight like this.
  10. Voight #winning

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Its a shame they never properly built around 'Nique. While you had the Dr J Sixers and Birds Celtics in the first half and then Isiahs Pistons in the 2nd, I'd like to think they could have at least made the finals during the 80s. & maybe in an alternate universe where Bron doesn't go to Miami, the Johnson/Smith/Horford group does much better and even makes the finals one or two years.

HisIceness likes this.
  11. DuncanMacpherson Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    The Reggie Miller era was not mediocre

DueDiligence likes this.
  12. BKIslandersFan Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Are we only counting Atlanta Hawks? Because you can't be mediocre if you have a title in your name.

13. HisIceness This is Hurricanes Hockey

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    For arguments sake, yes.

14. Vamos Rafa Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Owning Federer & Djokovic
    They have a title but let me just tell you how inept the Cavs have been without LeBron. Their last winning season without LeBron was 1997-98. I’m 33 and that was way back when I was still in elementary school!

Not to mention that their title came during his second stint. We all know he only signed there because he’s from NE Ohio.