NBA Atlanta Hawks, the most mediocre franchise ever?

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
And by ever I'm talking about all the big leagues in North America.

Their one and only championship was 1958 as the St. Louis Hawks. The franchise relocated to Atlanta in 1968, and since then they've had one conference finals appearance (2015), where they were soundly swept by LeBron. They have a few division titles and a few of their players/coaches have won some accolades, but 50+ years in Georgia, and yet just one trip past round 2.

They are never good enough to become a contender and yet despite having some stinkers of a season, are either not bad enough for a top-3 pick or don't draft well when they do. It looks like Trae Young for Luka Doncic might not blow up in their face but we still don't know how that will shake out. They also are not really a UFA destination, who was their last big-name UFA to sign with them? I thought it was Joe Johnson in 2005 but the Hawks did a sign and trade for him.

Despite being in a large-ish market (and one that is home to TNT), no one really talks about them. They had a stretch of 9 straight playoff appearances but they were never title contenders and never had a superstar talent on the roster, so they rarely got any attention from the rest of the NBA. Even in Atlanta there seems to be apathetic enthusiasm for them unless they are having a 2015-ish season, which rarely happens anyway.

So what say you? Who else in the world of North American sports would challenge the Atlanta Hawks for this "title"?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
And by ever I'm talking about all the big leagues in North America.

Their one and only championship was 1958 as the St. Louis Hawks. The franchise relocated to Atlanta in 1968, and since then they've had one conference finals appearance (2015), where they were soundly swept by LeBron. They have a few division titles and a few of their players/coaches have won some accolades, but 50+ years in Georgia, and yet just one trip past round 2.

They are never good enough to become a contender and yet despite having some stinkers of a season, are either not bad enough for a top-3 pick or don't draft well when they do. It looks like Trae Young for Luka Doncic might not blow up in their face but we still don't know how that will shake out. They also are not really a UFA destination, who was their last big-name UFA to sign with them? I thought it was Joe Johnson in 2005 but the Hawks did a sign and trade for him.

Despite being in a large-ish market (and one that is home to TNT), no one really talks about them. They had a stretch of 9 straight playoff appearances but they were never title contenders and never had a superstar talent on the roster, so they rarely got any attention from the rest of the NBA. Even in Atlanta there seems to be apathetic enthusiasm for them unless they are having a 2015-ish season, which rarely happens anyway.

So what say you? Who else in the world of North American sports would challenge the Atlanta Hawks for this "title"?

i'd put the pels and hornets above the hawks if you're making a list of most mediocre NBA franchises

the hawks were a pretty good team for several years there in the late 2000s-early 2010s and made the ECF in 2015

Reactions: Voight

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
upload_2020-7-20_12-31-23.jpeg

You wanna talk about mediocrity?

Reactions: SoupNazi

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
There are a whole bunch of NBA franchises that can make the same claim. Magic? Grizzlies? Pelicans? Hornets?

Magic have made the finals twice in 30 years. Thats as many times as the Celtics, Mavericks, Nets, etc and more than the Sixers, Suns, Clippers. Sure they didn't win but at least they have been in the mix.

It was kind of disappointing that Johnson/Smith/Horford core never went anywhere.

Reactions: HisIceness

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Magic have made the finals twice in 30 years. Thats as many times as the Celtics, Mavericks, Nets, etc and more than the Sixers, Suns, Clippers. Sure they didn't win but at least they have been in the mix.

It was kind of disappointing that Johnson/Smith/Horford core never went anywhere.

The Magic also had the Shaq/Penny years as short as they were, and also the Dwight Howard era when he was 'superman' and took them to the '09 Finals. That Shaq/Penny team was pretty popular world-wide too.

I saw the Hornets/Pelicans brought up. Difference being that the Hawks have been around longer than either of those two franchises and the Hornets history involves two different teams, and technically I believe the Pelicans history stars as the New Orleans Hornets in 2002. I get the argument but in this case, the longevity of the Hawks in Atlanta can't be ignored.

The Hawks in 50 years in Atlanta have never done better than a sweep in ECFs in 2015. Even at 60 wins and 4 All-Stars that year, did anyone take them seriously as title contenders? LeBron was easily gearing up for yet another Finals appearance and he had no problem disposing of the Hawks. After that the Hawks got swept again by the Cavs the next year in round 2, and lost in 6 to the Wizards in round 1 in 2017 and have yet to return to the postseason. They had 9 years of being in the playoffs and were never serious contenders.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The Magic also had the Shaq/Penny years as short as they were, and also the Dwight Howard era when he was 'superman' and took them to the '09 Finals. That Shaq/Penny team was pretty popular world-wide too.

I saw the Hornets/Pelicans brought up. Difference being that the Hawks have been around longer than either of those two franchises and the Hornets history involves two different teams, and technically I believe the Pelicans history stars as the New Orleans Hornets in 2002. I get the argument but in this case, the longevity of the Hawks in Atlanta can't be ignored.

The Hawks in 50 years in Atlanta have never done better than a sweep in ECFs in 2015. Even at 60 wins and 4 All-Stars that year, did anyone take them seriously as title contenders? LeBron was easily gearing up for yet another Finals appearance and he had no problem disposing of the Hawks. After that the Hawks got swept again by the Cavs the next year in round 2, and lost in 6 to the Wizards in round 1 in 2017 and have yet to return to the postseason. They had 9 years of being in the playoffs and were never serious contenders.

Its a shame they never properly built around 'Nique. While you had the Dr J Sixers and Birds Celtics in the first half and then Isiahs Pistons in the 2nd, I'd like to think they could have at least made the finals during the 80s. & maybe in an alternate universe where Bron doesn't go to Miami, the Johnson/Smith/Horford group does much better and even makes the finals one or two years.

Reactions: HisIceness

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
They have a title but let me just tell you how inept the Cavs have been without LeBron. Their last winning season without LeBron was 1997-98. I’m 33 and that was way back when I was still in elementary school!

Not to mention that their title came during his second stint. We all know he only signed there because he’s from NE Ohio.

Reactions: SoupNazi

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Among other sports the Padres come to mind though they could change that soon. Zero titles and two pennants in over 50 years, but they’ve seldom been tankawful after their expansion years.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Being from St Louis, I root for the Hawks. Still kind of like our team even though I never saw them when they were here. But they had great teams in STL. Hoping they beat Bucks and make Finals. Would be great for the city and franchise. Atlanta has supported them well, the fans there deserve it.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Atlanta as a whole have had a lot of middling to poor franchises in sports.

- Falcons won nothing in 50+ years of existence and are responsible for the biggest SB choke in history

- Braves had the most awesome core from the 90s into the early 300s and only won one measly title during a shortened season

Lost two NHL franchises within 25 years (that takes skill to do)

Hawks as mentioned by OP, 50+ years of mediocrity although they have a realistic shot at the finals this year

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
In 70s and 80s they had some exciting style players like Maravich and Dominique even if they didn't make conference finals. 90s they had a run like Gobert era Jazz with Mutombo and a bunch of decent players, and got to high 50 W status. 00s they went really mediocre-decent with the ultimate 1st round/2nd core of all time in the Joe Johnson era.

So not the best, but not total boring either, and that's discounting St Louis Hawks. I think a team like the Pacers have as frequently stuck in the middle. The Wizards since their last title (78) have done very little of consequence. They had old Bernard King and Moses, Webber before the Kings, old MJ, Arenas, then Wall and Beal, none of it really added to more than occasional 1st or 2nd round. Even their title team which came at a low competition and popularity wise for the NBA is probably one of the least famous and came about because Bill Walton got injured when Blazers were cruising to repeat title.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
In 70s and 80s they had some exciting style players like Maravich and Dominique even if they didn't make conference finals. 90s they had a run like Gobert era Jazz with Mutombo and a bunch of decent players, and got to high 50 W status. 00s they went really mediocre-decent with the ultimate 1st round/2nd core of all time in the Joe Johnson era.

So not the best, but not total boring either, and that's discounting St Louis Hawks. I think a team like the Pacers have as frequently stuck in the middle. The Wizards since their last title (78) have done very little of consequence. They had old Bernard King and Moses, Webber before the Kings, old MJ, Arenas, then Wall and Beal, none of it really added to more than occasional 1st or 2nd round. Even their title team which came at a low competition and popularity wise for the NBA is probably one of the least famous and came about because Bill Walton got injured when Blazers were cruising to repeat title.

In 94 with Jordan out of the league the Hawks were 36-16 and in first place. And for some reason they trade away Dominique Wilkens for the lesser player in Danny Manning. Can someone explain this? Hawks had a real shot at Finals that year and they literally took themselves out of it.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
In 94 with Jordan out of the league the Hawks were 36-16 and in first place. And for some reason they trade away Dominique Wilkens for the lesser player in Danny Manning. Can someone explain this? Hawks had a real shot at Finals that year and they literally took themselves out of it.

$$$

His contract was expiring that off-season and he was turning 35. They didn't want him to leave for nothing.

Reactions: Bluesguru

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008

I never really understood it. My thought would be they liked Manning who was a former #1 pick in the middle of his prime averaging 24ppg before the trade.

Reactions: Bluesguru

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad