Atlanta 3.0: Three local ownership groups emerge

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevFist

is best pony
Oct 22, 2006
Birmingham, AL
www.mk837.com
That would imply that someone would just buy the Thrashers, but the more reliable reporting says they want to buy the whole shooting match......Philips, Hawks and Thrashers... The only Septoturds based in Atlanta are the Gearons (Sr. has been involved with the Hawks since 1977) and Rutherford Seydel (local attourney). Then there's the DC faction consisting of Bruce Levinson( whom nobody trusts.) Ed Peskowitz(Whose been in business with Levinson since 1977) and Todd Foreman(Who is a business partner of Levinson and Peskowitz.) Then there's Beau Turner, who doesn't live in Atlanta, but nobody really knows WHERE he lives.... He doesn't seem to have an actual job outside of working on Daddy's charitable trusts.

Common thought is ASG wants out of everything alltogether. The only ones I can see trying to stick around are the Gearons.

Magnus Fulgur

Nov 27, 2002
Also take into consideration that Peskowitz has been in very poor health over the past few years (that's the last I heard, hopefully he is doing better).

The Gearons might want to stick around as a minority owner of the whole thing, and honestly that could work to the benefit of the new owners in terms of working with the city government and local power brokers to some degree. Then again, the new local owner could/should have more clout than the Gearons do.

Clearly, no one else other than The Gearons want anything to do with the franchises.

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
Locals are aware that John Kincade has twittered that this week his connection is supposed to make the first offer on everything. Time will tell.

I wish the new proposal would be to buy the Thrashers and the Arena and let the Gearons have the Hawks and pay a lease fee. LOL. that would be a great switch on things.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Sure there is some news...

The title of this thread is "Three" groups. Well, now it appears that there are only two groups. One may have stopped talking.

“We have continued to have dialogue with two of those parties,” Levenson told The Associated Press. “We have not had discussions with the third party in a couple of weeks.

As well, it doesn't look like the local buyers want the whole package. The Thrashers and the arena maybe? Doesn't say, just no interest in the Hawks.

None of the talks with potential buyers have involved the Hawks

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
As well, it doesn't look like the local buyers want the whole package. The Thrashers and the arena maybe? Doesn't say, just no interest in the Hawks.

It could also mean that topic hasn't been broached quite yet.

This is a process that takes time. Relax, strap on a seat belt, and enjoy the ride. We'll know something more concrete soon, I'm sure.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Sure there is some news...

The title of this thread is "Three" groups. Well, now it appears that there are only two groups. One may have stopped talking.

“We have continued to have dialogue with two of those parties,” Levenson told The Associated Press. “We have not had discussions with the third party in a couple of weeks.

Well someone is fibbing...

This came out the same day from the Thrashers beat writer:

Two other groups have also expressed interest in purchasing the Thrashers, Hawks and Philips Arena from the Atlanta Spirit. One had meetings with officials from the NBA and the NHL.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-thrash...log&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

EDIT: Oh...and my guess as to which group has stalled is the Steven Rollins group. They probably saw that it would cost more than $500 and some free DVD's and freaked out.

Last edited:

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
Levenson has proven to be an absolute liar with every statement he's made over the years. No one in Atlanta believes him and no one outside the city should either. Even Waddell is suspect.

I don't believe anything from these two anymore than I'd believe my own kid standing in front of me with a paintbrush in his hand saying, "no, I didn't paint the car."

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
if there were only two groups, there wouldn't be five NDAs

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-thrashers/talks-continue-in-possible-876262.html

Talks are ongoing with three groups interested in purchasing the Thrashers franchise and keeping it in Atlanta, team president Don Waddell said on Thursday. The discussions primarily have been held with two entities, but Waddell said he didn't want to eliminate the third party yet.

The groups have shown interest in the purchase of the Thrashers -- and not in becoming additional investors in the Atlanta Spirit.

Two other groups have also expressed interest in purchasing the Thrashers, Hawks and Philips Arena from the Atlanta Spirit, as previously reported by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Maybe 3+2 = 5?

Aaronxxx

Oct 12, 2009
atlanta
levenson must think that people outside of the owners are talking to the media about what progress has been made. or maybe the group has fractured so badly that they really aren't talking to each other about interests.

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
New owners only solution for Thrashers

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/2011/03/18/17672821.html

Waddell is spending most of his waking hours now courting three potential owners, two local and one from out of state -- believed to be from Michigan -- who intend to keep the team in Atlanta. It's complicated because without control of the building, it's tough to see how the Thrashers could make it.

Waddell is not the lawyer behind any deals and it's totally doubtful that he can make any decisions about selling anything. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he's been told to try to find a buyer for the team only, so that the owners could use some leverage against the people interested in all 3 entities.

Don's from Michigan so it makes sense to me that he really could be the one making the calls.

bleuet

You know, they are already powder blue ;-)

So, who is the Balkan? Or is there a Balkan?

Time will tell, but time's getting short.

5 DNA, 3 groups, 2 potential owners, that makes lot of contradictions.

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
You know, they are already powder blue ;-)

So, who is the Balkan? Or is there a Balkan?

Time will tell, but time's getting short.

5 DNA, 3 groups, 2 potential owners, that makes lot of contradictions.

Ya, time is short for Phoenix going on 2 years now...PATIENCE is short for the media :laugh:

And it isn't the Balkan, it's the BUNDY...

AlBundy.jpg

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
if there were only two groups, there wouldn't be five NDAs

Correct. However, at least one NDA TNSE and possibly two Quebecor are from Canadian interests. These parties will be dealing directly with the NHL and not ASG.

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
Correct. However, at least one NDA TNSE and possibly two Quebecor are from Canadian interests. These parties will be dealing directly with the NHL and not ASG.

speculation on your part. The truth is that the only reporter to actually check any facts are that 3 are supposed parties interested in team only and left in Atlanta, and 2 parties that want everything which would mean staying in Atlanta.

The NBA has been contacted. Is Quebec or Winnipeg getting an NBA franchise? Maybe the arena is getting shipped since neither city is pro league comparable? Maybe?

bleuet

Ya, time is short for Phoenix going on 2 years now...PATIENCE is short for the media :laugh:

And it isn't the Balkan, it's the BUNDY...

AlBundy.jpg

Yeah I know: 1 NHL week = 8 standard weeks :nod: but...

I don't believe the league wants to buy the Thrashers.. Please! Not AGAIN! :laugh:

bleuet

Oh no, if I have time, I'll try to find it but I think they said 5 DNA for keeping the Thrashers in ATL..

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

Wrong. It was reported that all 5 want to keep the team in Atlanta.

KevFist

is best pony
Oct 22, 2006
Birmingham, AL
www.mk837.com

You need to cough up a link to a source on this pretty quick. Nobody, not even Canadian media, has reported official interest in the ASG package by a group from Quebec.

As to the Lit between ASG and King & Spalding.... If anyone is interested, Here is a link to the Summons and Complaint, as filed in Georgia Superior Court (Equal to Circuit Court in other states.) It's a pretty interesting read, and it's a BIG slap in the face of one of the largest law firms in the US.

I have a feeling with how litigious ASG has been in the past, the judge isn't going to keep issuing Motions to Continue, unless they're requested by King & Spalding (Which it was in this case.) The problem for King & Spalding is going to be getting info not only from ASG, but Belkin as well. This one could wind up moving from Motions to Compel to applying for writs of Mandamus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad