OT: Atlético Ottawa Main Thread

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
What's with the name? Is there any Spanish connection or is this just trying to sound like a European team?

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
So just curious where does this league rank in terms of status? Did anything happen to Ottawa Fury? Was that a different league?

Sorry, I love playing the sport but I am clueless to the world of soccer entertainment.

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
So just curious where does this league rank in terms of status? Did anything happen to Ottawa Fury? Was that a different league?

Sorry, I love playing the sport but I am clueless to the world of soccer entertainment.

The Canadian Premier League is relatively new (last year was their inaugural season) so the quality is not very high but they’re still some quality players. It’s mainly seen as a league that will help develop young Canadian talent to get to that next level. The hope is 15-20 years down the line it’s a much more high level of soccer that will be pumping out quality talent for Canada.

Ottawa Fury played in the USL championship, the second tier of NA/US soccer. They had to cease operation because CONCACAF would not sanction them for the 19-20 USL season. I’m entirely sure why it happened so you may have to ask someone else for a better answer on that.

Atlético Ottawa are in their inaugural season and are owned by Atlético Madrid.

Reactions: TheDebater

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada

Not a bad result for their first game. They were up 2-0 before Neufville was sent off and York came back and equalized. With the expectations of York and the expectations of Ottawa, I think Ottawa shouldn’t be too disappointed with the end result.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Neufville and Acuna looked fantastic. The midfield is going to be the strength of this team for sure. Overall, they looked very competitive against the tournament favorites.

Interesting that all 3 matches to start the season ended in 2-2 draws.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
How’s it goofy? The teams parent club is Atlético Madrid.

It's goofy because it should be Ottawa Athletic or Athlétique Ottawa.

It's Charlton Athletic. Not Atlético Charlton. Because English is the first language in England.

I find Real Salt Lake to be goofy as well. It should be Royal Salt Lake.

In any event, it appears to be a good collaboration so good for them.

Last edited:

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Atlético Ottawa won their first game yesterday 2-0, they have 3 games left in the round robin tournament, top 4 teams go to the next round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->