The Athletic - Boston Athletic poll: Bruins broadcast voted worst in NHL

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Many of you complain that the Bruins lost Goucher but the fact is Vegas made him an offer he could not refuse.

Jack had already signed an extension with NESN and Goucher was content with radio but then VGK came calling mainly because Eric Tosi who had worked with the Bruins convinced the Vegas owner that Goucher was the best option to sell hockey to the locals.

Judd Sirott will be a year to year thing as when/if Pat Foley retires in Chicago, Sirott would be the prime candidate to replace him.

@crimsonace - The Sports Museum has recently found the KMOX St Louis call of the Bobby Orr goal. Since Blues play by play announcer Dan Kelly was doing the game for CBS - KMOX assigned the sports anchor of KMOX-TV who had relocated to St. Louis from Boston after losing his job at WHDH when the Bruins radio contract went to WBZ - His name was Bob Wilson.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
In my opinion, as much as I rag on Jack and Brick, they are nowhere near as bad as the Tampa Bay Lightning Radio broadcast.

Dave Mishkin and Phil Esposito are the absolute WORST duo in any media, for any professional sport.

Rumor has it that they use the Lightning radio broadcasts to interrogate prisoners down in Guantanamo Bay........

That kind of makes me sad since Espo is a Bruins legend and all.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Many of you complain that the Bruins lost Goucher but the fact is Vegas made him an offer he could not refuse.

Jack had already signed an extension with NESN and Goucher was content with radio but then VGK came calling mainly because Eric Tosi who had worked with the Bruins convinced the Vegas owner that Goucher was the best option to sell hockey to the locals.

Judd Sirott will be a year to year thing as when/if Pat Foley retires in Chicago, Sirott would be the prime candidate to replace him.

So the Bruins are going to continue to lose good play by play guys as long as Jack Edwards is under contract with NESN. Edwards must have some real dirt on Jacobs then or some producer at NESN because there is no possible way they can hear him on commentary and think he is worth having on contract compared to Gouch or Sirott

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

@crimsonace - The Sports Museum has recently found the KMOX St Louis call of the Bobby Orr goal. Since Blues play by play announcer Dan Kelly was doing the game for CBS - KMOX assigned the sports anchor of KMOX-TV who had relocated to St. Louis from Boston after losing his job at WHDH when the Bruins radio contract went to WBZ - His name was Bob Wilson.

The other thing about Goucher is he hopefully has time on his side. Edwards is 63, whereas Goucher is what, around 50? It's not inconceivable that there may be a time when Jack has moved on and NESN can lure Dave back to the East Coast to take up the lead PBP role for the Bruins.

I understand Edwards having earned seniority and the right to be considered the number 1 priority for NESN in keeping him contracted. As undoubtedly excellent as Goucher is, prior to Vegas hiring him most of his experience in calling top level hockey was in radio. Covering the sport on radio and TV are NOT the same. Jack was a proven entity on TV with established chemistry with Brick, Goucher was not. Now Dave has proven himself on TV in Vegas, if there was ever any doubt, so he's an even more attractive proposition to NESN if and when the opportunity presents itself. Fingers crossed one day it will.

bruinsfan1970

Global Moderator
I think Jack needs to do a better job of play by play. I have noticed he misses a lot of the call by talking about a different subject. I enjoy all the others except I am not a fan of Jaffe but I like listening to Pederson as he seems very knowledgeable about the game. Raycroft seemed to improve as the season went on.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
What do you think about NBC then!?

I think Doc sucks too, not as bad as Edwards, but for the same stupid reasons. He does folksy shtick instead of crazy shtick, but it's still shtick. Doc also lost his fastball many years ago, he barely knows the names now. The best guy on NBC is Tirico. Calls a straight game, with no stupid nonsense.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Considering the whole Pie McKenzie/Dougie Hamilton #19 fiasco was in the last few years, in no way can it be said he's toned down the hysterics in the last few years. Even Pie's family couldn't care less about that bit of fluff, and Jack turned it into a maelstrom. Think about it, a supposedly professional broadcaster actually used the words "stripped the blubber from the whale". :skeptic:

Pie's daughters were not a fan of Hamilton wearing the number. They found it disrespectful. Edwards did an interview with them at some point ( i think it was after the first rant he did ).

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Pie's daughters were not a fan of Hamilton wearing the number. They found it disrespectful. Edwards did an interview with them at some point ( i think it was after the first rant he did ).

So Edwards did an interview with them? You mean to say that the one single media personality in the entire world that was making this a big deal sought them out for an interview and they agreed with him?

Color me shocked. And I still don't care, it was one of the stupidest moments in the history of broadcasting. Even stupider that he doubled down on it.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
I like Jack cause he's ridiculous and entertaining. It's funny to hear how biased he is sometimes. I will admit, with age, Jack seems to be loosing his touch. He's not quite as articulate and eloquent as he's been in the past, but still decent. He had a couple year streak where I felt he dialed back the homerism, I believe post 2011 Cup, but he's back to full swing these days. I feel like regional broadcasts should have a touch of homerism, as it makes them unique.

Brickley to me is one of the best analysts in the game. I think he's better than most of the guys NBC rolls out.

Bottom line, I always NESN broadcast.
I feel that Jack has been changing with time.
I don't care about the homerism one way or the other. I don't watch broadcasts of every team in the league, but I can't think of a game I've watched without some sort of homerism (NBC broadcasts included) though it varied from blunt to more passive aggressive.
Thing about Jack is that his greatest strengths were memorizing the roster of the opposing team, maintaining the play-by-play as opposed to being a second color guy, and pointing out great hockey when it happened from the other side.
It feels like he's focused on the entertainment aspect only and he's been like a more hyper caffeinated Dennis Miller.
That said, I do like Jack only because I think he's one of us and hasn't done anything to anger me yet.

Though if I was going to choose a number 1 it would be Hnidy and Goucher. Fan of both their work before they joined forces.

Reactions: jgatie

aguineapig

I back Jack. If he's the worst at 31st so be it. I will not dispute anyone's opinion nor defend some of Jack's rants.
I have no idea WTF a tumbling muffin is and I can see for myself that Charlie Coyle has the puck and he's going this way and that.
But I have said before that watching the games with Jack and Brick reminds me of the 60's and 70's with my brothers and my cousins, screaming at the TV, throwing expletives and anything we could get our hands on at the injustice of Art Skov, Bill Friday, the Habs and the Broad Street Bullies. And celebrating in the glory of victory.
At a time like that, I want allies when the enemy is at hand. And that's Jack. I back Jack cause Jack has my back.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Never been a fan of Jack as a play by play. As a passionate Bruins fan, he is great

But his "extreme" emotions, bias (especially when it's incorrect) and lastly his voice/play by play skill is not smooth

Fred Cusick was much better

IMO that's not really fair to Jack. Fred Cusick was a legend. Anyone coming after him would be lacking in comparison.

Reactions: SPB2776

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
So Edwards did an interview with them? You mean to say that the one single media personality in the entire world that was making this a big deal sought them out for an interview and they agreed with him?

Color me shocked. And I still don't care, it was one of the stupidest moments in the history of broadcasting. Even stupider that he doubled down on it.

Lol, i think you're the one doubling down on this. First its the family doesn't care, so let's just bash Edwards. And now that you know they actually were bothered, you don't care for their opinion, you're just gonna keep bashing Edwards some more.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Lol, i think you're the one doubling down on this. First its the family doesn't care, so let's just bash Edwards. And now that you know they actually were bothered, you don't care for their opinion, you're just gonna keep bashing Edwards some more.

What can I say, I really don't like Edwards. Gee, if only there was a thread discussing the quality of Edwards' broadcasting style, maybe I could post there instead.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
IMO that's not really fair to Jack. Fred Cusick was a legend. Anyone coming after him would be lacking in comparison.

You don't have to be a legend to be a good play by play announcer

Gord Miller, Jim Hughson, Bob Cole (ok though he is also considered a legend)

are play by play style/voices I rather listen to

I can put up with Jack Edwards because he is a diehard Bruins fan. Like Tommy Heinson (Celtics)

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Does rick Jeanerette or whatever his name is still do games? Because he’s jack but not funny

lalalalallalalal fontaine!

He was the most annoying play by play

lallalalala fontaine, may day may day = wanted to break my tv

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Does rick Jeanerette or whatever his name is still do games? Because he’s jack but not funny

lalalalallalalal fontaine!

He was the most annoying play by play

lallalalala fontaine, may day may day = wanted to break my tv

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Jack could be the worst PBP man in sports and continue to make cringey unprovoked rants about stuff throughout the broadcast, but I'll never wish that he gets fired because my formative years watching the Bruins were called by Dave Shea and life could never be worse than that.

Reactions: BMC

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
This times 100.

Jack and Brick are fine if they were national guys and would be OK if they only did home or away but I'm just kind of over them and furious we lost Dave Goucher.

Not sure why NESN gets worse and worse re picture.

Get rid of the damned ticker too.

Goucher is top 3 in the business. Wish he was there over Jack Edwards

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I feel that Jack has been changing with time.
I don't care about the homerism one way or the other. I don't watch broadcasts of every team in the league, but I can't think of a game I've watched without some sort of homerism (NBC broadcasts included) though it varied from blunt to more passive aggressive.
Thing about Jack is that his greatest strengths were memorizing the roster of the opposing team, maintaining the play-by-play as opposed to being a second color guy, and pointing out great hockey when it happened from the other side.
It feels like he's focused on the entertainment aspect only and he's been like a more hyper caffeinated Dennis Miller.
That said, I do like Jack only because I think he's one of us and hasn't done anything to anger me yet.

Though if I was going to choose a number 1 it would be Hnidy and Goucher. Fan of both their work before they joined forces.

the homerism by Jack is actually what kills me most about him. There will be a clear penalty by the bruins and he will sit there and bash the refs for a questionable call. Or the bruins will get called for something and the opposing team will do it to a much lesser degree later in the game and Jack will say “well if you called the last one you gotta call this one”

He’s basically tommy heinsohn level of bias, but tommy gets a pass because he’s a legend in the city. Both are terrible broadcasters with ridiculous bias.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
No idea how he still has a job....not a great person from some accounts.

I looked this up, because I knew nothing about the man outside of his playcalling in the playoffs last year. Yeah, he sounds like a rotten person, and I rescind my endorsement.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I love Jack. I hope he is doing well.

I envision him sitting at hope every day, then at 7 going into his office. Putting on a sports coat and tie, and doing play by play on some old game available on youtube, and still complaining about the calls, and dropping hate all over opponents he doesn't like

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA

You don’t think Judd would stick around here for this gig? How much better is the Chicago gig at this point, if at all?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->