Athletic Injuries / Medical Priorities

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
If you've ever attended a game when an injured player is taken off the ice, and as a result, a trip to the hospital results, something quite remarkable happens. If that player is a "visitor", usually they're examined & treated often in time for that player to join his teammates for the bus trip back to their home base.
Now, think back to ANY recent trip that you or your family has made to the Emergency Department of any hospital, and tell me if you got the same level of speed or attention. My guess is that you didn't, so if begs the question : Do athletes get prefferential medical attention over the normal patients ? What's been your experience ? Do ordinary patients get "bumped" when an athletic injury presents itself at Ontario hospitals ? How does one go about securing that same level of service, that athletes seemingly receive ?

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
If you've ever attended a game when an injured player is taken off the ice, and as a result, a trip to the hospital results, something quite remarkable happens. If that player is a "visitor", usually they're examined & treated often in time for that player to join his teammates for the bus trip back to their home base.
Now, think back to ANY recent trip that you or your family has made to the Emergency Department of any hospital, and tell me if you got the same level of speed or attention. My guess is that you didn't, so if begs the question : Do athletes get prefferential medical attention over the normal patients ? What's been your experience ? Do ordinary patients get "bumped" when an athletic injury presents itself at Ontario hospitals ? How does one go about securing that same level of service, that athletes seemingly receive ?
I had a sports related injury when I was ski racing in Searchmont and as a result I was in and out of the hospital with x rays done in just over an hour. As I was out of town they quickly put me through and the only wait was for the X Ray results. I don’t know how this affects your argument but I always found it interesting.

dogfan

Jun 16, 2009
Another thing to consider is that the player has likely been examined by the home team doctor, who probably practices at the hospital they take him to. He won’t need the usual pre-exam most of get when you go to the hospital. They will already have a good idea of the issue. The player at that point has there own personal doctor and won’t have to wait for him to get back around for any treatment, but I’d say they probably do get a bump when it comes to lab results and X-rays.
I have heard of a trainer or assistant coach that needs to stay behind and bring the player home the next day because of injury and not because they needed to stay for observation.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Depends on the injury. If they need immediate treatment at a hospital they would stay behind. Results of assessments can easily be forwarded to a visiting teams health care unit if it’s nothing life threatening. (Bones, scraps, strains, dislocation etc...)

Are you sure all these players were sent to hospital and returned and not assessed by EMS/team docs/trainers at the arena somewhere?
How many times do you know of this happening?

I do know kids under 18 (peds) have much shorter waits at emerg than adults.

Reactions: Otto

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
My son who is 15 was mountain biking and was mangled up pretty good. 5 hrs later at emergency unit we left with him on crutches and full of pain medication. The kicker is no patients were ahead of us. Much to do with the hospital and Dr working for Joe Public. West Lincoln Memorial wouldn't matter who just a bad spot to go lesson learned it's Hamilton General next time.

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
Aresknights thats a good answer. Honestly though, maybe it’s just me but this thread seems a bit ridiculous.
All hospitals in every OHL city will be different but the ER will assess patients by level of trauma with the highest being the first priority regardless of any other factor.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Aresknights thats a good answer. Honestly though, maybe it’s just me but this thread seems a bit ridiculous.
All hospitals in every OHL city will be different but the ER will assess patients by level of trauma with the highest being the first priority regardless of any other factor.

Agreed this seems to be a bit out there in left field, not that I'm familiar with athletes and hospitals but at least from a Canadian based CHL city any person who's in a more critical situation is more likely to be treated first in Canadian hospitals. Unless the CHL team has the facilities to address the problem in the arena directly then most teams generally send players to the closest city medical facility to be treated.

I've recalled over the years teams that have got stuck on road trips away from there own city hospitals that were forced to stay overnight due to a player or players being assessed by hospital staff but that more depends upon the injuries that players get.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Over the years, I've seen this "fast track" treatment happen several times, and yes, it's occurred when the injured player has been transported via ambulance to the hospital. There are also those occasions when OHL broadcasters give "updates" as to the condition of a player sent to the hospital, during a telecast. I can respect the possibility of a team doctor doing a preliminary triage on site, before the player is sent, and I can see where that might speed up the normal wait time.
However, the bigger issue is whether or not elite level athletes receive a better and more prompt level of treatment and care, than the average person. When an athlete gains "celebrity stature" it seemingly also carries with it, a gold stature with regard to their medical treatment requirements.

Remember back when Mickey Mantle developed a need for an organ transplant, and he got one post haste ? I've absolutely no doubt that he jumped the que of many patients who were on a waiting list for a potential donor. Senators owner Eugene Melnyk faced a similar situation, a while back, and advertised for a potential " donor", who was found as a result of that appeal. In London, we have an Internationally known Sports Injuries clinic that specializes in the treatment and rehabilitation of athletes. Try getting a reference from your family doctor to that facillity. Perhaps this is because of superior health/injury insurance that teams/ athletes have....I don't know, but on the surface it does appear to be somewhat "elite" in nature.

The United States based teams must surely have a very different insurance criteria than the Canadian teans. Their health care system, being quite different from the OHIP type of coverage in Ontario. I have no doubt that their treatment level is comparable, and perhaps even better, but again, I honestly don't know.

This wasn't posted as any exercise in finger pointing, but more in the realm of the relationship of health care/treatment as it relates to athletes generally.

Edited to add: Just so this isn't perceived as a one-sided view, I should rightfully extend Kudos to the Humbolt Broncos player who signed his organ donor card, and several others benefitted from his foresight and generosity. His legacy lives on.

Last edited:

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
In regards to organ donation a person can choose to donate an organ to a specific person. So if Melnyk appealed to the public he was well within his rights to do so. In regards to Fowler Kennedy, they are a private provider like MedPoint, so yes you can get faster service through them... but you have to pay for it.

I've never heard any player updates from the hospital while the game is going on.

You say you've seen patients be fast tracked, do you work in the medical field?

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Much ado about nothing I think.

But if there is a specific concern/ incident ect..... from a poster PM me and Ill look into it as best as i can.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
I've never heard any player updates from the hospital while the game is going on.

Otto. I watch the OHL Action Pak frequently, and have seen more than a few between period reports from a commentator such as : We've gotten word that player x has been checked out and released, to which the play-by-play or colour commentator replies: "Well that's good news, and we're glad to hear that he's going to be OK." [paraphrasing, not a direct quote.]
NOTE that it never was a direct report from the hospital, as you seemed to take it.

As to your second comment, no, I haven't physically seen a patient fast tracked, nor do I work in the medical field. However, common sense and logistics would dictate that a player transported to the nearest hospital, got checked out, and returned to the arena in time to take the team bus back home, had to have some expedited treatment/service level to accomplish that feat. Transport time ( both ways) subtracted would leave very limited time at the hospital for examination or whatever treatment was necessary.

Typically, that doesn't often happen for the average patient. The wait times have become so lengthy, they even became an issue during the most recent Provincial election. Good to hear that your most recent experience was of the quicker type.

I introduced this topic because there really was a dirth of discussion on this forum, which happens in the dog days of August. I'd hoped to generate some discussion about how athletes/sports figures generally get medical service, as compared to the general public. If there's no appetite for such a topic, then fine. I was simply offering up a topic for general discussion, since it does have some ethical and social implications.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016

Otto. I watch the OHL Action Pak frequently, and have seen more than a few between period reports from a commentator such as : We've gotten word that player x has been checked out and released, to which the play-by-play or colour commentator replies: "Well that's good news, and we're glad to hear that he's going to be OK." [paraphrasing, not a direct quote.]
NOTE that it never was a direct report from the hospital, as you seemed to take it.

As to your second comment, no, I haven't physically seen a patient fast tracked, nor do I work in the medical field. However, common sense and logistics would dictate that a player transported to the nearest hospital, got checked out, and returned to the arena in time to take the team bus back home, had to have some expedited treatment/service level to accomplish that feat. Transport time ( both ways) subtracted would leave very limited time at the hospital for examination or whatever treatment was necessary.

Typically, that doesn't often happen for the average patient. The wait times have become so lengthy, they even became an issue during the most recent Provincial election. Good to hear that your most recent experience was of the quicker type.

I introduced this topic because there really was a dirth of discussion on this forum, which happens in the dog days of August. I'd hoped to generate some discussion about how athletes/sports figures generally get medical service, as compared to the general public. If there's no appetite for such a topic, then fine. I was simply offering up a topic for general discussion, since it does have some ethical and social implications.

Much ado about nothing I think.

But if there is a specific concern/ incident ect..... from a poster PM me and Ill look into it as best as i can.

aresknights; No there isn't really a specific concern, See the last paragraph of my reply to Otto. Maybe the topic is just not what this crowd is into discussing.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Apparently I have some difficulty in communication, since I honestly do not believe that I implied this type of thing happening with great regularity or frequency.

Over the years, I've seen this "fast track" treatment happen several times, and yes, it's occurred when the injured player has been transported via ambulance to the hospital.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Apparently I have some difficulty in communication, since I honestly do not believe that I implied this type of thing happening with great regularity or frequency.

Yes, you stated you have seen healthcare fast tracked"several times"... I'm questioning the amount of times players even go to the hospital.. I don't believe that occurrence is "several times" .. let alone players being fast tracked.

Essentially, it's much ado about nothing when it comes to the OHL.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Yes, you stated you have seen healthcare fast tracked"several times"... I'm questioning the amount of times players even go to the hospital.. I don't believe that occurrence is "several times" .. let alone players being fast tracked.

Essentially, it's much ado about nothing when it comes to the OHL.

Apparently you missed the 3 words " Over the years" That specifically denotes an extended period of time. It does NOT imply a significant frequency or that these injuries are a regular occurrance. Work on your reading comprehension skills.
I'm essentially agreeing that it doesn't happen often, but when it does, athletes then to get quicker service than the average person. You might not agree with that observation, but differences of opinion are what a dialogue is .

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Peds patience (under 18) have less wait times than adults in Emerg at any hospital.
Emerg Peds patience are prioritized by need, as are adults (18+) In other words triaged. If a kid has a non life threatening injury he isn't jumping the line over a kid that does.
If its a break, strain, strain, tear, dislocation ect..... Its an in n out (if they even go to emerg before getting home or dont assess on site- sometimes not even Xrayed or MRI if they do go go emerg. They sometimes wait til they get home. )
Again, much ado about nothing imo.

Now if you wanna talk appts at Fowler clinic , or any other cities team organizations physio, doc, massage, physc, chiro ect... They will be fast tracked because those companies or individuals are on a payroll and with expectations of services.

Emergency care at a hospital? Cant see them being fasttracked and if you k ow so,its wrong.

Last edited:

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I have to be careful here with patient confidentiality.

I work in the Emergency department at a hospital in Kitchener. I could count on one hand how many times that we have had OHL players come in from injuries. From what I have seen they have never once jumped the line.

Now with that being said their is another hospital in town and I do not know how often that they get hockey players.

The Rangers like all teams have a team doctor at the rink. For the Rangers their team doctors are both family physicians but I do know of a retired emergency doctor who was their team doctor. Their is also a crew of paramedics who are at rinkside if anything happens.

All in all players are in really good hands if they get injured at the rink. They rarely have to go to the hospital.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Joe Murphy................Retired NHLer battles concussions
murphyjoehhof.jpg

Joe Murphy, when he played on the Kid Line with the Edmonton Oilers in 1990, the year they won the Stanley Cup. (Courtesy Hockey Hall of Fame)
At first, it seems like he's living the life of Riley. Joe Murphy works as a labourer, when he needs money, and he sleeps in a tent in a farmer's field, when he needs shelter.
During a short chat, he'll talk about settling down a bit in an apartment. He says he now calls Kenora his home by the water, but finding affordable housing is next to impossible, not just because of the market.
The thing is, Joe Murphy's not your average Joe. He's a retired NHL player.
A first overall draft pick of Detroit, he played 15 seasons, including a Stanley Cup win with Mark Messier and the Oilers in 1990.
However, life after hockey hasn't been kind to him, to put it mildly. Truth be told, Joe Murphy's one of 80 plaintiffs in a class action lawsuit against the NHL related to concussions.
"It's a very serious matter, concussions. I've suffered a horrific, serious concussion that debilitated me for a long time. It was tough," he says, recalling how he fractured his skull in a game.
In their class action, the former players say the league didn't do enough to protect them and warn them about the dangers of the game, including fighting. The league, however, says they did their part, and the players were well aware of the risks involved.
As the interview moves on, Murphy talks about the debilitating energy loss and lethargy that he felt, after he suffered a concussion. He says this took its toll on his play towards the end of his career.
"After I was getting hit, fireflies around me all the time. Just everywhere," he continued. "Even at the end of my career, I'd hit a guy and then 'boom.' There'd be those sparkly things all over. Very difficult."
An article from the Globe and Mail talks about how Murphy's career might've been at an end in Boston in 2000, after he stirred things up in the dressing room with teammates and his coach. Nevertheless, Murphy would go on to play another two seasons in Washington, before retiring.
Today, Murphy notes doctors have been gathering information for close to 90 years now, and there are fewer players suffering from concussions. The speed and finesse of today's game is 'excellent,' he says.
Still, he thinks there should be something done for the retired players, who need help. Murphy thinks they should be 'taken care of,' which he thinks should involve some financial aid and some medical help.
At this point in his life, he admits he's 'de-escalated,' meaning he's lost everything. One estimate said he'd made more than $15 million in his playing days, but today he doesn't even have a phone. He acknowledges he hasn't been online in years. There's no contact information, even for fans who want to reach out
Retired NHLer battles concussions - kenoraonline.com

Rubbers29

Jan 9, 2012
I have to be careful here with patient confidentiality.

I work in the Emergency department at a hospital in Kitchener. I could count on one hand how many times that we have had OHL players come in from injuries. From what I have seen they have never once jumped the line.

Now with that being said their is another hospital in town and I do not know how often that they get hockey players.

The Rangers like all teams have a team doctor at the rink. For the Rangers their team doctors are both family physicians but I do know of a retired emergency doctor who was their team doctor. Their is also a crew of paramedics who are at rinkside if anything happens.

All in all players are in really good hands if they get injured at the rink. They rarely have to go to the hospital.

This was pretty much where my train of thought was on this, glad you have the first hand experience to back it up.

The fact that they have such a good medical staff in place at most of these rinks means that in cases that a player actually sent to the hospital chances are the issue is serious enough that they would be triaged to the front of the line regardless of where they came from.

The dozen or so times I have been in the emergency waiting room, I can’t say I have ever seen anyone on a stretcher with a head restraint hanging out waiting for the doctor to finish up with the guy with the ankle sprain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad