NCAA: Athletes will be able to transfer anywhere without a release

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but wouldn't this move basically make every school a farm system for the top P5 teams? Couldn't they just offer scholarships to the top players every year? If you're at Coloardo, and lead the Pac12 in sacks, what's stopping USC, tOSU or Bama from swooping in and offering him a scholarship?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but wouldn't this move basically make every school a farm system for the top P5 teams? Couldn't they just offer scholarships to the top players every year? If you're at Coloardo, and lead the Pac12 in sacks, what's stopping USC, tOSU or Bama from swooping in and offering him a scholarship?
That’s probably one of the reasons players have to RS after they transfer. So, teams can’t simply load up on juniors and seniors from smaller schools.

Players want to play.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

No because teams have a limited number of scholarships per year.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No because teams have a limited number of scholarships per year.
I guess he’s thinking that instead of offering a scholarship to a incoming freshman, you offer it to a junior from another school.

Also it said on ESPN that players can participate in up to 4 games and still use a RS year.

If a player is RS in 2018 could he transfer and play in 2019? Or does he still need to sit out a year when he joins a new school?

I think if you are coming off a RS year hen you should be able to transfer and play right away. Would have given a kid like Eason a chance to be a starter this year since he only got into 3 games last year for Georgia. Probably picks a different school instead of UW who has 3 year starter brownin returning.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I'm assuming there are still poaching rules in place.

It doesn't really make sense for teams to just have scholarships sitting around for potentially transferring players when they don't know who those players will be, they won't know what position they will play, and they don't know how they will fit into their scheme.

To what extent this may happen I think any transfers with regards to NFL prospects will be guys coming from outside the P5.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

All that changes is that the current school/coach has no say in whether a player can transfer or where he can transfer to anymore.

If a player transfers they still have a to sit out a year & could lose a year of eligibility depending on their redshirt status.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I guess he’s thinking that instead of offering a scholarship to a incoming freshman, you offer it to a junior from another school.

Also it said on ESPN that players can participate in up to 4 games and still use a RS year.

If a player is RS in 2018 could he transfer and play in 2019? Or does he still need to sit out a year when he joins a new school?

I think if you are coming off a RS year hen you should be able to transfer and play right away. Would have given a kid like Eason a chance to be a starter this year since he only got into 3 games last year for Georgia. Probably picks a different school instead of UW who has 3 year starter brownin returning.

He picked Washington because they were his 2nd choice since he's from Seattle and run a scheme that fits his skillset. Mark Richt was the reason he went to UGA.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He picked Washington because they were his 2nd choice since he's from Seattle and run a scheme that fits his skillset. Mark Richt was the reason he went to UGA.
If he was eligible to play this year, I don’t Think he goes to UW not with 3 year returning starter browning back for his senior year.

But because he has to red shirt this year, it’s a good spot for him to run the scout team and take the reigns in 2019. Barring injury to browning none of the other qbs should get much or any playing time this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad