Confirmed with Link: Athanasiou re-signs, 2 years 3m/yr

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
...and the way they played together, this is good news. Even if AA needs certain players like vanek to perform good, this makes him look good and we can still trade him if neccessary, ha!

Just kidding...if he takes the next step, i'm happy it happens in a wings uniform
Win win haha

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
So there's now 10.64M left in the cap for Mantha And Larkin.

Larkin +6.0M ?
Mantha +4.0M ?
I will be surprised if Larkin only gets 6 and it's a long term deal.

I want him signed for 8 years. From now until he's past his prime. I don't think 6m is enough for that.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I will be surprised if Larkin only gets 6 and it's a long term deal.

I want him signed for 8 years. From now until he's past his prime. I don't think 6m is enough for that.

Scheifele getting 6.125 x 8 caps what he will get.

RFA negotiations are all about comp’s. There’s no one with comparable stats to Larkin who got much more than 6M that his agent could use to make that happen, when I have looked at comparable players.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoupNazi and Bench

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Fine. I’ve been a big proponent of trading this guy, but for the first time it seems like both sides are in agreement and things are calm.

I love AA’s skill and tenacity, but lacks the consistency and effort. Let him play big minutes if management isn’t going to trade him.

I believe this changes the opening roster a bit knowing he’s here for a while.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
I haven't been able to follow the Wings as closely as I'd have wanted to in the last couple of seasons, so I hope someone could chime in here.

How has his (especially defensive) game panned out? I remember thinking in his rookie season that he could be a Helm with a bit more hands. Though to Helm's credit, he's been no slouch defensively, nor as a forechecker/chase car. Is AA comparable to a young Helm, or is there promise for more?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Don't think this is a, "Two years to prove himself" deal at all.

... Think Holland signed him to let him hopefully be pushing 40 points at the deadline and flip him somewhere for a 1st+.

Reactions: Syckle78

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
this signing just adds more questions

is AA staying now ?
does this mean nyquist is the main piece out ?
are both gus and AA staying and zadina going to start in minors ?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

is AA staying now ?

The Holland Special. Gus and AA both in and both get moved at the deadline. Zadina gets a look at the end of the year.

Reactions: rhef3

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
If he actually grows a competitive spirit, it's a fine contract, even an underpayment.

If he meanders through it like he's done the last couple years, this is an overpayment. Wings came to the table with a good deal for AA. He needs to put his ass in gear now. No more excuses about playing time or bull**** about P/60 and oh, he's so much better than X.

So, it's all on the table for him now.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

is AA staying now ?
I mean we aren't even sure of Zadina's true rights status right now. No one knows the impact this will have for the opening night roster.

I'm penciling Nyquist and AA on that roster until they aren't with our organization. If Zadina can go to AHL, I like the odds of those two staying even more.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
So there's now 10.64M left in the cap for Mantha And Larkin.

Larkin +6.0M ?
Mantha +4.0M ?
We cannot put Franzen on LTIR until after the time at which we have to be cap compliant. Kenny usually pulls some crazy ass stuff to squeak through but it's always concerning.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
In a cap sense, things are starting to get weird. I think they only have like 7 mil to sign Larkin and Mantha now. So either somebody's getting traded or Zetterberg is LTIR bound.

Something bigger has to move, if we try to plug Faulk in.

Faulk 4.833M
<>
Athanasiou 3.0M + Svechnikov (which is not even count on the roster) + then what?

EDIT:

Almost same caphit should go out WITH Athanasiou... Nyquist 4.75M ? Howard (non-sense) ? Mantha ?

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Remember Mule is going LTIR, so we have a little under 11 million
Yeah, but you have to be under the cap to put players on LTIR for that season, I believe. So it's 11 mil in cap space eventually, but not 11 mil in space right this second. Also, it occurs to me that whatever Zetterberg is doing, it's not going to create any space right now. So it's gotta be a trade. Or somebody takes less money than they should.

According to capgeek capfriendly, they're at 6.1 mil in space, and there's 10% wiggle room, so we're talking somewhere near 6.8 mil left. That's just not enough.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah, but you have to be under the cap to put players on LTIR for that season, I believe. So it's 11 mil in cap space eventually, but not 11 mil in space right this second.

According to capgeek capfriendly, they're at 6.1 mil in space, and there's 10% wiggle room, so we're talking somewhere near 6.8 mil left. That's just not enough.

You can go 10% over the cap, so an additional 8 million dollars is what that amounts to.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Any time you over pay a player, the trade value diminishes. That is the only value AA has right now.

He is over paid.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
He better get playing time with that cap hit

A slight overplayment to go along with his slight overpayment. Here's to hoping that he earns every bit of all the minutes and pennies the organization can give him...I'd love to have our roster situation further complicated by too much young talent.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
"Play the kids...until they become too expensive!"
I've learned to usually ignore your particular brand of "discussion", but I'm feeling spicy today, so I'll bite.

I was fully on board with AA getting more than what he received last year (albeit still on a short term deal), because I was highly encouraged by his potential, and thought he could improve on his shortcomings.

Then, he played hardball, and ended up getting the one year deal, which WAS his audition. If he came up aces, you shell out the bigger bucks to lock him up long term. If he just did ok, then you string him along with another cheap deal, while at least considering possible trade options.

He took that audition...and wet the bed, doing absolutely nothing to indicate that he will "figure it out" while in Detroit. He's still a coach's nightmare, a bad example to his teammates, and he's not shown growth in his production.

That's not a guy you give a 116% raise to. Not right after an entire regular season of using him as the poster child of, "when you don't buy in to the Red Wings way, you get benched". That just undermines the coach's message.

AA can be the fastest player in the world, but if he's skating in the wrong direction, then you don't financially encourage the behavior. People have already posted comparables in this very thread, and he's getting overpaid. And while one guy making $500K too much is no biggie, continuing the trend of 10-12 guys that way will keep this team wasting $5-6M every year, which IS a significant amount.

So no, it's not as simple as, "Play the kids... Until they're overpaid." It's more like, "Play the kids... Until they show they don't belong here." And had AA shown SOME sort of improvement, I'd want to still be patient. But he used his second chance as toilet paper, so why give him a cushy deal like that?

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
We cannot put Franzen on LTIR until after the time at which we have to be cap compliant. Kenny usually pulls some crazy ass stuff to squeak through but it's always concerning.
I believe that rule doesn't apply if the player did not play a game the preceding year.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
hopefully if he doesn't get traded during this contract Blashill's finally gone for the second year of it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad