Injury Report: Athanasiou out 2-3 weeks

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Less than half a season ago, AA was a PROVEN 30-goal scorer.

Now we can't wait to get rid of the guy. Expecting a 3rd rounder? What the actual ****?

I hope to God nhl gms aren't as reactionary as you ****in guys.

Trade the guy for his own benefit.
I'm a huge fan of Athanasiou, despite being put off by his sulking.

Red Wings fans decided long ago they supported the moron Jeff Blashill.
AA can and should be one of the most exciting forwards in the game.
Get him away from Blashill and the fans who support his stupidity.

Take the 3rd rounder or whatever. Lose the trade.

Watch him sink or swim somewhere else.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13to40

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal

I agree that he’s being misused by Blashill, but Blashill won’t be here for long and AA will get better ice time/ line mates once that happens.
It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to piece together better line combinations than Blashill

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I agree that he’s being misused by Blashill, but Blashill won’t be here for long and AA will get better ice time/ line mates once that happens.
It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to piece together better line combinations than Blashill

Coaches don't play players that choose to compete the way AA does on a regular basis.

The next boss isn't going to treat him better and I am not even sure Yzerman will move on from Blashill this summer either right now.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Yzerman did probably miss an opportunity, but who knows if he did try shopping him when he took the keys over... and maybe got no takers for AA. GMs around the league aren't all stupid. Lol

I never thought AA was a true 30 goal scorer, but I also think his offense is better than a 10 goal scorer. He's somewhere in the middle at 15-20. He has always been the most frustrating player.

At this point, considering AA has no worthy trade value what-so-ever, I say make an example out of him and offer him an insulting pay cut contract as an RFA since he proved he can't live up to his expectations... say 1.3 million per year? Then play hard-ball with him, let him pout and sit out and do whatever it is he does... he can go play in the KHL for all I care.

A message needs to be sent. And since he has worthy value anyhow, no real loss.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Less than half a season ago, AA was a PROVEN 30-goal scorer.

Now we can't wait to get rid of the guy. Expecting a 3rd rounder? What the actual ****?

I hope to God nhl gms aren't as reactionary as you ****in guys.

Scoring 30 goals one time, does not make you a proven 30 goal guy. It makes you a one time 30 goal guy, and this year and his other years make him look like a 17 or 18 goal guy who has lots of other issues, that make that even worse. TIME TO MOVE ON FROM HIM!

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

This isn't about liking Blashill or AA. I want both gone, but with regards to his treatment of AA, it is well warranted. He sulks a lot, he has compete issues, and yes they still are present as he has had plenty of low effort games this year. At some point it is on the player to perform and quit pissing and moaning about how the coach uses you. Good players put up good performances regardless of ice time.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yzerman did probably miss an opportunity, but who knows if he did try shopping him when he took the keys over... and maybe got no takers for AA. GMs around the league aren't all stupid. Lol

I never thought AA was a true 30 goal scorer, but I also think his offense is better than a 10 goal scorer. He's somewhere in the middle at 15-20. He has always been the most frustrating player.

At this point, considering AA has no worthy trade value what-so-ever, I say make an example out of him and offer him an insulting pay cut contract as an RFA since he proved he can't live up to his expectations... say 1.3 million per year? Then play hard-ball with him, let him pout and sit out and do whatever it is he does... he can go play in the KHL for all I care.

A message needs to be sent. And since he has worthy value anyhow, no real loss.

AA's next contract is dictated in part by his qualifying offer. Remember this is why they punted on Mrazek, they didn't think he was worth qualifying at that price. I don't think AA is there yet, but I don't really expect it to be our concern either if I am being honest.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
AA will be gone by the trade deadline or the draft in June.

I used to think that, however given how bad he has been this year and the injuries he has sustained, I could see him staying. The issue with AA was always that the majority didn't want to pay him big bucks to stay, at this point I don't think he has any leverage and if Yzerman can sign him to a decent contract to anchor our 3rd line, why not.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I used to think that, however given how bad he has been this year and the injuries he has sustained, I could see him staying. The issue with AA was always that the majority didn't want to pay him big bucks to stay, at this point I don't think he has any leverage and if Yzerman can sign him to a decent contract to anchor our 3rd line, why not.

I feel like Wings have better players in the system to play on the the 3rd line next year. And if Wings get Laf, that means all our wingers are getting bumped down. I think Laf jumps straight to the NHL.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I feel like Wings have better players in the system to play on the the 3rd line next year. And if Wings get Laf, that means all our wingers are getting bumped down. I think Laf jumps straight to the NHL.

Yzerman clearly see's something in him, and while I dont see him on the 3rd line, I could see him on the 4th line next year.
When you make moves like Yzerman has for Erne, Fabbri, Perlini etc. It's unrealistic to think they will all hit, if just one does (lie Fabbri) IMO its a huge win.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Scoring 30 goals one time, does not make you a proven 30 goal guy. It makes you a one time 30 goal guy, and this year and his other years make him look like a 17 or 18 goal guy who has lots of other issues, that make that even worse. TIME TO MOVE ON FROM HIM!
Dude your made-up definitions are ridiculous. AA has literally PROVEN that he is capable of scoring 30 goals by actually DOING it. In a full season. In real life. Less than a half season ago.

If 20 of them were Datsyuk banking pucks in off his ass, you might have a point. But they weren't. So you don't.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Dude your made-up definitions are ridiculous. AA has literally PROVEN that he is capable of scoring 30 goals by actually DOING it. In a full season. In real life. Less than a half season ago.

If 20 of them were Datsyuk banking pucks in off his ass, you might have a point. But they weren't. So you don't.

Made up definition? Me thinks you don't understand what "PROVEN" 30 goal scorer means? If a player played 10 seasons and had 15-22 goals for 9 of the years and 30 in one of them, does that make him a proven 30 goal scorer? Answer: No it does not! AA had 30 last year and is nowhere near that pace this year, and was nowhere close to 30 any other time.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Coaches don't play players that choose to compete the way AA does on a regular basis.

The next boss isn't going to treat him better and I am not even sure Yzerman will move on from Blashill this summer either right now.

Coaches play players that give them a chance to win. Sure his effort level always isn’t 100%, but when he’s dialed in, he can be a force. I believe that with real top 6 minutes and line mates, he would/could/should produce at the same rate he ended last year.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Coaches play players that give them a chance to win. Sure his effort level always isn’t 100%, but when he’s dialed in, he can be a force. I believe that with real top 6 minutes and line mates, he would/could/should produce at the same rate he ended last year.

Your logic puts the onus on the coach to play a player that has effort level problems. The onus should be on the player to bring his effort every night, and get rewarded when he demonstrates that consistency.

Imagine trying to apply your logic in the real world.

“Management pays the employees that they think help the success of the company. Sure, this employee slacks off frequently and misses deadlines, but when they do their work, it’s quite good. Management should give this person a higher salary despite the glaring issues with their performance.”

Surely that won’t blow up in management’s face.

Reactions: Oddbob and SoupGuru

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
it should be mentioned that AA might have been playing a lot of this season injured in some degree.

I think that is true, it also probably the worst effort I have seen out of him to date. If you're hurt you should probably bear down. The way he is playing in the defensive zone isn't going to be going unnoticed around the league unfortunately for us in terms of pro scouts.

We are almost to 300 games in the NHL. His actual ice time is down a mere 18 seconds despite being a dumpster fire. I get that he has had the leg issues, but I am really stunned at some of the excuse making for the guy. We know what he is and what he is about for the most part. Continuing to blame Blashill for the issues AA has is a bit much for me.

He was on his way out of town before last season and we seemed to get a much better version. Now the enigmatic AA has returned under Yzerman and in my opinion has thrown away his clean slate or really positive slate in terms of Yzerman spent time listing him as a core player most of the off-season. Just really disappointed in him. If it is injuries I get that, I don't think Khan has him as probably exiting stage left if that is the case, seems to me he is flunking his audition for Yzerman, it is a shame because he has a lot of talent and is fun to watch when he feels like playing hard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad