Athanasiou Abuses Duncan Keith

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Who would have thought AA could have success when given proper minutes and proper PP time?????

me for one. I know it's early, but I love every minute of this. Now he's gotta do it when it counts. The skill and speed is undeniable.

He got a boatload of both and more than enough chances the past 2 seasons to do well. Also, this is preseason, and AA is doing well and we are what 5-0? Honestly means nothing, as there is a better chance we are 0-5 at the start of the regular season than 5-0 and AA needs to compete every night, whether he gets 12 minutes, 15 minutes, 18 minutes or whatever minutes you want. His issues are all HIM, we never heard about Larkin dogging it, and losing ice time, from the coach, or GM and he had to earn his ice time too. Good players play well regardless of usage, and if AA wants to be a top player he needs to be engaged every night, not every 5th game.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Young Yzerman was an offense first guy who didn't play a lot of defense. AA's not at his numbers and hype, but it's not unheard of for players to learn the defensive craft later. For what he's worth he has some skill that is not usual and speed to go with it. I'm more intruiged with who was lined up on the C spot for the other team, to me Keith isn't at fault as much as the other teams C first. It's exactly what we're worried about but inverse.

When you mention Yzerman together with AA you lose all credibility, sorry! Yzerman may have been offense first, but there was always compete level, something AA so far in regular season has only shown he uses every 3-5 games.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
AA didn't get benched last year due to production.

He got benched because the coach probably specifically told him, dont cut off early and go for an offensive breakaway, and then he goes and cuts off early...

I know AA can score. I really enjoy seeing him put in effort on the backcheck.... That is how AA is going to earn the coaches trust. And that is how he is going to become a star for the red wings.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
When you mention Yzerman together with AA you lose all credibility, sorry! Yzerman may have been offense first, but there was always compete level, something AA so far in regular season has only shown he uses every 3-5 games.

Also, Yzerman's offense was just on a whole different level than Athanasiou. A guy like Yzerman could get more slack because he wasn't being looked at as a possible 50-60 point guy. He was 120 point guy. Until Athanasiou shows up for a whole year at both ends of the ice, he's Petr Klima. Which isn't a big knock as I loved Petr Klima.

Reactions: Oddbob

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
I've always been low on Athanasiou and preseason games don't move the needle for me.

IMO Athanasiou's problem isn't effort or consistency or even defensive game; he has atrocious hockey iq and can't think the game at NHL speed.

This is why he thrives so much at preseason and OT. When he's not pressured, and the game is slower, his speed and skill really shine and he can make crazy plays.

In NHL games when the ice is busy and there is no time, he can't read the play to save his life. Pressure him and he usually turns it over.

I went to a Wings game a year back and only focused on Athanasiou whenever he's on the ice. His stick is where plays go to die. I would try to trade him while he still has some sheen on him.

Reactions: Hinterland

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
That right there is a clear sign of his value in today's NHL. People who complain about his lack of defensive polish always mystify me. Athanasiou is perfect as a third line winger who will clean up at EVS. He should also be a fixture in OT with open ice. I can take him or leave him on the power play but he should probably get some ice time on the second unit. He has lots of value in a league that is geared towards speed and skill. As I've said before, a third line with Veleno and Atahansiou would be pretty great.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
That right there is a clear sign of his value in today's NHL. People who complain about his lack of defensive polish always mystify me. Athanasiou is perfect as a third line winger who will clean up at EVS. He should also be a fixture in OT with open ice. I can take him or leave him on the power play but he should probably get some ice time on the second unit. He has lots of value in a league that is geared towards speed and skill. As I've said before, a third line with Veleno and Atahansiou would be pretty great.
People complaining about his defensive prowess are doing so because someone was calling for him to be 2C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->