55rioMq.gif

UUUIuj1.gif

TIzK25O.gif

f*** Chicago

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
This reminds me of the time Nyquist first entered the league and abused guys like Chara and Hedman with his speed.

Genuinely don’t know what happened to his speed. Probably moreso the league adjusted. But I still love Gus as a player.

And yeah, AA, really made Keith his ***** in that game. He’s wayyy fast, so he’ll have his way still.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Athanasiou is my pick for big breakout player, at least in terms of offensive production. Vanek brings out the best in him.

I would not be surprised if given the opportunity he puts up 60+ points (while still being a minus lol)

Reactions: lilidk

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I think AA will still frustrate the hell out of us. He'll certainly flash the skill for 60+.

But for every game he'll do something like this against a guy like Duncan Keith... he'll get dunked on by some rando 3rd line scrub from Minnesota. The problem with AA has NEVER been how he does in a single instance against even great competition. It's that he follows up something awesome like this with basically pissing on his pants for a game or three.

It's what coaches have said repeatedly about him. "AA is a real special player when he is engaged. Real special" The problem is that he loses engagement quickly. AA is like the new age Alex Semin. Talent is off the charts, but they just don't seem to give a damn without a red ass coach riding them. It's why giving AA a long term contract will never be a good idea. You need to go year to year or two year deals with him.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
If there was any elite (or formerly elite) defenseman AA could do this to, it'd be Keith. Keith was never a particularly fast defenseman and he's certainly slowing down now.

Still, loved seeing AA this game. That stripping of the puck to set up Larkin was the real highlight.

Reactions: marcmadsen

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
If there was any elite (or formerly elite) defenseman AA could do this to, it'd be Keith. Keith was never a particularly fast defenseman and he's certainly slowing down now.

Still, loved seeing AA this game. That stripping of the puck to set up Larkin was the real highlight.

If your point is Keith’s skating isn’t as good as it once was you may be be on to something but he has always been regarded as one of the best skating dmen in the game.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I think AA will still frustrate the hell out of us. He'll certainly flash the skill for 60+.

But for every game he'll do something like this against a guy like Duncan Keith... he'll get dunked on by some rando 3rd line scrub from Minnesota. The problem with AA has NEVER been how he does in a single instance against even great competition. It's that he follows up something awesome like this with basically pissing on his pants for a game or three.

It's what coaches have said repeatedly about him. "AA is a real special player when he is engaged. Real special" The problem is that he loses engagement quickly. AA is like the new age Alex Semin. Talent is off the charts, but they just don't seem to give a damn without a red ass coach riding them. It's why giving AA a long term contract will never be a good idea. You need to go year to year or two year deals with him.

This shit right here is exactly why the organization pushes AA so much to earn his ice time. He can be on another level when he chooses. I’m not sure if the piece is about a contract is fair but the sentiment can be applied to ice time. When AA wants to be on he deserves 18/19+ minutes a game. Other days not so much. If he can sort through his valleys he has the potential to be a very good top 6/first line player.

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Who would have thought AA could have success when given proper minutes and proper PP time?????

me for one. I know it's early, but I love every minute of this. Now he's gotta do it when it counts. The skill and speed is undeniable.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
This **** right here is exactly why the organization pushes AA so much to earn his ice time. He can be on another level when he chooses. I’m not sure if the piece is about a contract is fair but the sentiment can be applied to ice time. When AA wants to be on he deserves 18/19+ minutes a game. Other days not so much. If he can sort through his valleys he has the potential to be a very good top 6/first line player.

I mean, for me they are kind of inseparable. If I can't trust a guy to give a consistent effort to get ice time, in my thinking, that only would be exacerbated if you guaranteed him that he'd be signed for a long time on a guaranteed deal. Maybe it's an unfair aspersion, but I see the two things as completely related. If you can't trust him to give an honest effort if you promise him 19-20 mins a night, what leads you to believe you could trust an honest effort if you gave him 5-6 years of guaranteed pay?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He's been pretty incredible this preseason.

Who would have thought AA could have success when given proper minutes and proper PP time?????

me for one. I know it's early, but I love every minute of this. Now he's gotta do it when it counts. The skill and speed is undeniable.
No, him doing well is on him, not his usage.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If your point is Keith’s skating isn’t as good as it once was you may be be on to something but he has always been regarded as one of the best skating dmen in the game.

Absolutely, yeah. If I had a kid that wanted to play defense I would have them watch Keith or Niedermayer.

I mean, for me they are kind of inseparable. If I can't trust a guy to give a consistent effort to get ice time, in my thinking, that only would be exacerbated if you guaranteed him that he'd be signed for a long time on a guaranteed deal. Maybe it's an unfair aspersion, but I see the two things as completely related. If you can't trust him to give an honest effort if you promise him 19-20 mins a night, what leads you to believe you could trust an honest effort if you gave him 5-6 years of guaranteed pay?

For sure, and I’m sure that is the thought process of the front office on him.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Certainly he was and is still quite agile, but fast? When I think of fast d-men I don't think of Keith.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
AA is very polarizing, as a player and a topic of discussion; he can look like a dime piece or like a hobo with a cup in his hand. The AA crowd turns a blind eye and just screams it's because of his IT and the coach hates him (apparently all his previous coaches hated him too) while the other end says it's because he is a lazy player and needs to earn it.

In the middle somewhere he gets a good chance (this season) with the increased responsibility that he wanted so now it is entirely up to him to show he can give 100% every shift.

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
I expect many more GIFs like this throughout the season. I believe the three biggest reasons he will have a breakout season is:
1) Vanek effect, they just seem to complement each other and that goes back to two years ago too
2) playing center he will be more engaged, and it's already noticeable he is backchecking and playing harder out there too
3) full training camp and exhibition games, your in a disadvantage if your 6 weeks behind in terms of condition and able to work on chemistry and systems. I am expecting AA to have a big year.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I expect many more GIFs like this throughout the season. I believe the three biggest reasons he will have a breakout season is:
1) Vanek effect, they just seem to complement each other and that goes back to two years ago too
2) playing center he will be more engaged, and it's already noticeable he is backchecking and playing harder out there too
3) full training camp and exhibition games, your in a disadvantage if your 6 weeks behind in terms of condition and able to work on chemistry and systems. I am expecting AA to have a big year.
#4. No Zetterberg leaves a gaping hole in ice time to be filled by someone. Some of that is almost necessarily going to trickle down to AA who has always complained about ice time. Well now he's gonna get it. If IT was really a big thing holding him back, he should have a much better season now that Z is gone.

The thing I want to see most from him is tenacity/strength on the puck. He doesn't seem to be a great battler.

Reactions: SirloinUB

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Certainly he was and is still quite agile, but fast? When I think of fast d-men I don't think of Keith.

Keith was one of the best skaters in terms of everything (speed, agility, technical) and you can see his speed on display during their cup years for sure. Keith could be caught out of position but he'll be so quick that he closes the gap on AA if this was his 29 year old version. Maybe you're thinking of Seabrook who was not the speedy one?

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Isn't there a better word to use than abuse in title?

Anybody that didn't watch the game(like me) is probably expecting to see a clip of AA ****slapping Keith in the corner or something(me again).

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'm a believer in AA. I think he can lift his game to the next level with improved consistency and with the right mindset about how hard he needs to work. I hope this is an early sign that he's doing it. But in the back of my mind I'm also preparing for another up-and-down season from him that results in 30-40 points.

marcmadsen

Sep 29, 2016

To me, that right there is the only problem with AA. Ice time shouldn't be given out, it's earned. It should be earned consistently. I'm not one of the people who is completely on the bandwagon of AA being lazy and constantly disengaged. I think his problem is his expectation that the IT should be given to him regardless of how he is playing. He seems to have an air of entitlement. He's a millennial, so I guess it should be expected.

I do hope he breaks out this year and that he takes strides in the right direction defensively (particularly as he will be centering a line). I think the offence will be there, for sure, but I dont know if his level of effort and engagement will consistently be there defensively. I hope so, but we'll see

Reactions: Oddbob

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I don't like the idea to play him more than 20 min a game

I don’t like the idea that you guarantee ANYONE ice time.

I want the guys who get given 20+ minutes to be given that time because their play demands it. Like Z got 19+ a game last year because he was still in the top 3 players on this roster.

Basically, you play better? You play more. You play worse? You play less.

I never thought that Lidstrom or Fedorov or anyone like that was guaranteed ice time. They just got ludicrous minutes because it was best for the team that they played.

That’s what I want for AA. To be so engaged every game that they don’t monitor his minutes, they just toss him over the boards and even potentially double shift him. He absolutely has the skills to be a bonafide star.

Reactions: Oddbob

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
To me, that right there is the only problem with AA. Ice time shouldn't be given out, it's earned. It should be earned consistently. I'm not one of the people who is completely on the bandwagon of AA being lazy and constantly disengaged. I think his problem is his expectation that the IT should be given to him regardless of how he is playing. He seems to have an air of entitlement. He's a millennial, so I guess it should be expected.

I do hope he breaks out this year and that he takes strides in the right direction defensively (particularly as he will be centering a line). I think the offence will be there, for sure, but I dont know if his level of effort and engagement will consistently be there defensively. I hope so, but we'll see

I would say after this preseason, he has earned the right to get consistent top 6 minutes, and consistent PP time. And I don't mean the usual Blash treatment of getting top 6 minutes for 2 games, and then sitting entire 3rd periods due to "lack of compete level". He has shown this preseason what he can do with minutes.

For once, Blashill has only had positives to say about AA. After every game, Blash has been praising his play. I just hope he doesn't give him 4 games with solid ice time, and then demote him during the year.

Reactions: masta8

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I would say after this preseason, he has earned the right to get consistent top 6 minutes, and consistent PP time. And I don't mean the usual Blash treatment of getting top 6 minutes for 2 games, and then sitting entire 3rd periods due to "lack of compete level". He has shown this preseason what he can do with minutes.

For once, Blashill has only had positives to say about AA. After every game, Blash has been praising his play. I just hope he doesn't give him 4 games with solid ice time, and then demote him during the year.

I don't think so.

I think he should have to continuously earn it. I don't care about a fantastic preseason if on November 15-22, he stops fore and backchecking. It needs to be an everyday evaluation. I mean, when you are in school and get your grades, you can't get an A on your midterm and then just completely cruise through the rest of the class doing absolutely nothing and still get the A you want.

I mean, damn it, BABCOCK AND BLASH PRAISED HIM EVERY TIME. They speak glowingly about what he can do when he competes. They say/said all the time how special he is when he's engaged. The coaches don't hate AA. They're not benching him because of some perceived slight. They bench him or ratchet back his minutes because he gets away from doing the things that make him a successful NHL player. If a guy who I know is one of the fastest in the league just gives up on a backcheck, I'd bench his ass for a shift or two as well.

It has nothing to do with Blash misusing him. You could maybe question how Blash is communicating why he's being benched, but the thought process? It's entirely reasonable.

Basically, he's earned the right to be utilized in the top 6 or as the 3C with PP time to start the year. What he does in the first week determines if he retains that right in the 2nd and then in the 3rd and so on. It isn't "he showed when he got a lot of minutes he could do something, so he always should get a lot of minutes". It should be constantly re-evaluated. And it should be for everyone. If Larkin stops driving the play, he should get demoted for a bit and someone should get his minutes. If Abby stops doing Abby things, he should get demoted.

Reactions: BinCookin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->