ATD2021 Bob Cole Divisional Semi-Final: Montreal Canadiens vs. New York Americans

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
MONTREAL CANADIENS

:habs

GM: BenchBrawl

Coach: Barry Trotz
Captain: Milt Schmidt
Assistant: Art Coulter
Assistant: Sprague Cleghorn
Assistant: Babe Siebert

HEAD COACH

Barry Trotz

ROSTER

Bobby Hull - Milt Schmidt (C) - Blake Wheeler
Woody Dumart - Norm Ullman - Patrick Kane
Claude Giroux - Jeremy Roenick - Dave Taylor
Bob Davidson - Ken Mosdell - Jerry Toppazzini

Sprague Cleghorn (A)
- Art Coulter (A)
Babe Siebert (A)
- Harry Cameron
Bobby Rowe
- Viktor Kuzkin

Georges Hainsworth
Miikka Kiprusoff

Spares: Vincent Lecavalier, Mark Stone, Bob Armstrong

PP

Giroux-Schmidt-Kane
Cameron-Hull

Ullman-Roenick-Wheeler
Siebert-Cleghorn

PK

Mosdell-Toppazzini
Siebert-Coulter

Dumart-Schmidt
Rowe-Cleghorn

PK extras: Hull, Davidson, Roenick

vs.

New York Americans

Coach: Tommy Ivan
Toe Blake - Steven Stamkos - Gordie Howe (A)
Dany Heatley - Elmer Lach - Larry Aurie
Bob Pulford - Walt Tkaczuk - Tony Leswick
Vic Stasiuk - Eric Staal - Alexei Kovalev
Ryan O'Reilly - Ron Stewart

Zdeno Chara (C)- Tim Horton
Harvey Pulford (A)- Brent Burns
Vitali Davydov - Joe Hall
Reed Larson

Clint Benedict
Mar-Andre Fleury

PP
Gordie Howe - Elmer Lach
Steven Stamkos - Dany Heatley
Brent Burns

Toe Blake - Eric Staal - Alexei Kovalev
Joe Hall - Zdeno Chara

PK
Bob Pulford - Tony Leswick
Zdeno Chara - Tim Horton

Walt Tkaczuk - Larry Aurie
Harvey Pulford - Vitali Davydov

PK3
Toe Blake - Elmer Lach​

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Good luck @rmartin65

I will try to find some time this week to discuss this in more details, but for now here are a few thoughts on top of my head:

As usual, rmartin65 has build a solid squad that could have easily gone 1st in any division including this one. I didn't expect anything else from a past champion who consistently build strong lineups throughout the years.

Now for the match-up:

Tommy Ivan is a much better coach than Barry Trotz, but both teams fit weill with their coach, starting from their franchise player (Howe and Hull). This is an advantage for the NYAs, however Montreal has the home ice advantage, which will reduce this advantage, maybe completely.

A big weakness for the New York Americans is their center line, the most important forward position. Granted, Gordie Howe is a special case winger, but it's still a fact that the NYA's best center is Elmer Lach who is then only supported by Steven Stamkos, a completely unidimensional center whose team has proven it can win without him in Tampa Bay. Many criticized me having Blake Wheeler on my 1st line; but Wheeler is a winger only there as support in a limited and simple role, Stamkos will have to go against a devastating series of two-way physical centers in Schmidt, Ullman, Roenick and Mosdell. Howe and Blake are great 1st line wingers to surround Stamkos, but they will be forced to overplay their two-way and physical game to cover for a weak center.

Another weakness is the lack of a strong #3D to anchor their 2nd pairing. The top pairing is great on all front, but Pulford-Burns, while OK #4Ds on their own, will not be as effective. I do like Joe Hall as a #5D though.

It's obvious that the NYAs, like MTL, did their homework in building a physical and endurant blueline in a very physical division. In that department, both teams have very physical bluelines that won't be intimidated nor worned out.

MTL is comfortable sending Hull-Schmidt, Dumart-Ullman or Davidson-Mosdell against Howe. Giroux-Roenick less so, but again MTL has home ice advantage. On defense, Cleghorn, Siebert and Rowe can handle Howe's physicality, and will obliterate Stamkos. NYA has Stamkos-Howe, Lach-Aurie and Tkaczuk-Leswick to face Hull, which is pretty solid on the RW front, but Stamkos is a huge problem as far as I see it. Caricaturing, assuming Hull and Howe distract themselves into a 1-on-1 war, we will be left with Blake-Stamkos vs. Schmidt-Wheeler, and while on value this is fairly close, in terms of actual play I can't see how Schmidt's godly all-around physical game won't be too much to handle for the soft Stamkos. Toe Blake is not *that* physical neither as far as I know. On defense, Horton is a beauty against Hull, but Burns is defensively suspect. I wouldn't want Burns to play too much against Hull. MTL have no such worries against Howe. Joe Hall is sorta fine, like Bobby Rowe vs. Howe, assuming the matchup is limited in scope.

Then we go to the 2nd lines, where Montreal have a massive advantage. It's not even that clear who is better between Lach and Ullman (I'd go with Lach personally, but they are close), but then Patrick Kane is not only a 1st line RW, he's a solid one. He is still on track to get a high Hart finish this year, and is a legit offensive threat. Montreal will try to match the Dumart-Ullman-Kane line against the Heatley-Lach-Aurie line, which is a complete mismatch for the NYAs. Heatley facing Kane will just be a major win on the offensive front for Kane, and Dumart is basically a better version of Aurie.

NYA's 3rd line is a solid shut down unit, but without home ice advantage this capacity will be somewhat wasted. Furthermore, all of Montreal's line are competent defensively, so NYA's third line offensive contribution will be limited. Meanwhile, all of Montreal's top three lines can score.

Clint Benedict is a real advantage over Georges Hainsworth, though both are known for the same thing: their clutch playoff performance. Benedict is super clutch in my book, though his overall reputation inside his era isn't as great as we'd love it to be. Regardless, he is a solid notch above Hainsworth.

MTL has an advantage on PP1 IMO, with much better pointmen. But Howe is Howe so who knows. I like NYA's 2nd PP wave with Kovalev in there, Hall-Chara are good pointmen, but not as good as Siebert-Cleghorn (where Cleghorn should really be on a top PP normally). But it's still easily a win for NYA because of Blake and Kovalev upfront.

PK-wise, I think both teams are solid on both units. MTL also has a defenseman who can take care of Howe on any unit, which was a wanted feature.

Leadership is a wash.

Overall tl:dr

Why Montreal should win this series?
  • Having home ice advantage, MTL will be able to maximize mismatches for the NYAs, such as 2nd line vs. 2nd line, Bobby Hull vs. Brent Burns (or simply avoiding the top pairing), and minimize the mismatches for MTL, such as Giroux vs. Howe and Hull vs. the Leswick line (and thus rendering NYA's 3rd line somewhat useless).
  • Montreal has the personnel to reduce Howe's effectiveness: Cleghorn, Siebert, Coulter* on defense, Hull-Schmidt, Dumart-Ullman and Davidson-Mosdell upfront. (*Coulter can play LD too, in case, but was referring to PK.)
  • The coaching advantage for the NYA is reduced by MTL having home ice and thus the last change and control over the match-ups.
  • Montreal is a much more dangerous offensive team throughout the top three lines, and especially it has two deadly combos in Hull-Schmidt and Ullman-Kane, whereas NYA's offense is focus on the top line a lot. Likewise on the blueline, Montreal is deeper and NYA is focused on the top pairing.
  • Stamkos on the 1st line is a much bigger problem than Wheeler, due to his role and complete unidimensionality, mixed with the fact all of Montreal's line are competent both physicality and defensively.
  • NYA has the goalie advantage, but it's not big enough to compensate for having a much weaker 2nd pairing.
  • Final word: I think this is a case where having home ice advantage would have been a huge boost for the NYAs, and is now a real problem that they don't have it, especially in a series with two teams so close to one another.
Here's to a good series, and good luck!

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
That's quite a way to kick of the series, @BenchBrawl ! Hopefully we can each find the time to keep that level of discourse up.

I'll post my rebuttal this evening or tomorrow (hopefully), but I will say that, while I disagree with some of your arguments (you are pretty rough on Stamkos, haha), I respect the general tone and fairness of your arguments.

I do expect to have some line-up changes- namely, I'll be getting Stewart on the ice (who had some real-life success against Hull).

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Whew, life got in the way this week. Sorry for the delay, @BenchBrawl , and good luck!

First, as I mentioned, I’ll be changing the line-up around some. The forward lines are now

Blake/Stamkos/Howe
Heatley/Lach/Aurie
Stasiuk/Tkaczuk/Leswick
Pulford/O’Reilly/Stewart

O’Reilly and Stasiuk will replace Staal and Kovalev on PP2.

Coaching- I agree with your take. Ivan is a better coach, but the fact that Montreal has the home ice in four of the seven games, New York’s advantage is reduced a bit. I still count this an overall plus for the Americans, but it is not a particularly large one.

1st line- Man, are you ever rough on Stamkos. He’s not a physical player, but I have never considered him to be a player that is intimidated or shies away from contact… and at 6’1” 190-195 lbs, its not like he’s some little guy that can be pushed around (unlike the *cough* 5’10” 175-180 lbs Patrick Kane, *cough*). He’s produced just fine in real life, and is paired with a legendary tough guy in Howe and another noted board guy in Blake. Stamkos’ job on this line is to pot goals, and he is one of the best in history at doing that.

Now that I have (hopefully) sufficiently defended Stamkos’ honor, let’s take a look at the lines:

Hull/Schmidt/Wheeler vs Blake/Stamkos/Howe

Two great lines, but I think New York has the edge. First, lets get numbers out of the way
7 year VsX- Montreal: 275.3 vs New York: 302

New York is simply on another level offensively

Awards
Hart- Montreal: 3 vs. New York: 7
Art Ross- Montreal: 4 vs. New York: 7
Richard- Montreal: 7 vs. New York: 7
AS1- Montreal: 13 vs. New York: 15
AS2- Montreal: 4 vs. New York: 13

Finishes (not including this year)
Top 3 Points- Montreal: 6 vs. New York: 17
Top 5 points- Montreal: 11 vs. New York: 27
Top 10 points- Montreal: 17 vs. New York: 32
Top 3 goals Montreal: 11 vs. New York: 20
Top 5 goals Montreal: 13 vs. New York: 23
Top 10 goals Montreal: 16 vs. New York: 30
Top 3 assists Montreal: 4 vs. New York: 11
Top 5 assists- Montreal: 8 vs. New York: 18
Top 10 assists- Montreal: 13 vs. New York: 30

I mean… come on. That is dominance in favor of New York at Every. Single. Level. Even if we take WHA years into account (Hull and Howe), New York still has a massive advantage.

Defensively, I think the edge has to go to New York here as well. Howe and Blake for New York and Schmidt for Montreal are well-regarded, Hull is probably around average, and neither Stamkos nor Wheeler bring anything of note here.

The chemistry looks good for both sides too- physicality, puck carrying, shooting, passing, all the components are there for each side.

Finally, I think New York is uniquely suited to limit the damage of Montreal’s top player- Bobby Hull, as I made sure to pick up players with historical success in slowing him down in Stewart and Horton. All of my RWs (Howe, Aurie, Stewart, Leswick) can skate and pester Hull, and my RDs are also big guys who can skate (Horton, Burns, Hall).

All in all, while I do think that Montreal has constructed a strong line, it just doesn’t compare to the talent that New York possesses. Decisive advantage to New York.

2nd Line- Here’s where Montreal makes up some ground.

Dumart/Ullman/Kane vs Heatley/Lach/Aurie

Again, lets do the numbers thing:
7 year VsX- Montreal: 256.1 vs. New York: 238.7

Notable advantage for Montreal… but not the advantage that New York has on line 1.

Awards
Hart- Montreal: 1 vs. New York: 1
Art Ross- Montreal 1: vs. New York: 2
Richard- Montreal: 1 vs. New York: 1
AS1- Montreal: 5 vs. New York: 5
AS2- Montreal: 5 vs. New York: 3

Finishes (not including this year)
Top 3 Points- Montreal: 6 vs. New York: 3
Top 5 points- Montreal: 7 vs. New York: 8
Top 10 points- Montreal: 16 vs. New York: 11
Top 3 goals Montreal: 4 vs. New York: 3
Top 5 goals Montreal: 7 vs. New York: 3
Top 10 goals Montreal: 16 vs. New York:11
Top 3 assists Montreal: 2 vs. New York: 5
Top 5 assists- Montreal: 4 vs. New York: 8
Top 10 assists- Montreal: 16 vs. New York: 10

Again, Montreal has the advantage… but, again, it doesn’t measure up to the dominance that New York’s top line has over Montreal’s.

Defensively, again, I think the lines are pretty close to even. Lach (NYA), Aurie (NYA), Ullman (MTL) and Dumart (MTL) are the above average to good, Heatley (NYA) and Kane (MTL) are non-factors, if we are going to put it nicely.

Physicality goes to New York- Kane is a pretty soft player, whereas all of New York’s players can play a physical game. Dumart is probably the best combination of physicality and size, though, so that should count for something.

Stylistically the lines look mostly fine. All the pieces are there.

Overall, the second line definitely goes to Montreal. To say anything else would be dishonest.

For the top 6, however, I think the edge is firmly in New York’s favor.

Bottom 6- I won’t do VsX, finishes, or awards here since I am; A) running out of time, and B) of the opinion that these lines are not the primary offensive threats for these teams, and thus won’t be put in situations where a direct offensive comparison is really useful. Please feel free to add any such comparison if you feel that I am incorrect here. Montreal’s third line looks to be the best offensively, but I don’t think it is much use defensively. The fourth line has almost the opposite issue, where I think the defense is there, but the offense really isnt. New York has a bottom six (for this series, at least) that is built primarily for defense- The Tkaczuk line brings some solid scoring, but that fourth line is, realistically, a line that won’t produce much.

Defense:
Cleghorn/Coulter vs Chara/Horton
Cleghorn is a bit better than Horton, but Chara is noticeably better than Coulter. I think Cleghorn will get frustrated playing against the likes of Howe/Blake/Aurie/Leswick, leading the notoriously short-fused defenseman to take a lot of penalities. Advantage to New York.

Siebert/Cameron vs Pulford/Burns
I think the talent on your pairing is better… but I’m not sure about the fit. Both of those guys are known as rushers, right? That will lead to some odd-man rushes the other way. Still, advantage Montreal.

Rowe/Kuzkin vs Davydov/Hall

Third pairing, so I don’t think it matters too much, but I do think I have the advantage- Hall is a legit 4 in a draft this size which gives the pairing a nice boost.

Special Teams- due to my roster changes, my PP2 no longer has Staal/Kovalev, and instead will feature RoR and Stasiuk. This hurts PP2, but PP1 will be getting a lion’s share of the time anyway. I’ll take my PP1 over yours, but it’s pretty close. PK- both of us have strong units, so I don’t see much sense in spending time there.

Goalie- I don’t disagree with anything you wrote here; advantage New York.

Why New York should win this series:
- Top line. It’s arguably the best line in the league this year, and despite being an offensive powerhouse, does not give up anything defensively or physically.
- Top paring. I don’t think Montreal’s is weak, but the Chara/Horton duo will be tough to get around.
- Goalie.
- Coaching. This advantage is softened by being the lower seed, but what it means is that New York will not be giving anything up on the road, while being able to leverage the advantage to the utmost while at home.
- Containing Hull. As I said before, New York planned for Hull. The RWs and RDs can all skate and play physically. Stewart and Horton have proven, documented success in limiting the damage that Hull can cause. I don’t see a system set up like that for Montreal against Howe.

All numbers are in good faith; any mistakes are my children's fault.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Your reply caught me by surprise during the week-end and I didn't have time to reply before now.

I strongly disagree with the way you compared our first line:

1) Going with the Top 3 in goals/assists/points, then Top 5's, then Top 10's, and cumulating them for the three players on the line, is just a million ways of showing Gordie Howe has the greatest longevity of all-time, something we all know and doesn't need so much repetition.

2) While you go out of your way to be thorough and bring out the Top 3's, Top 5's and Top 10's for goals/assist/points, you only do pure award counting without any consideration for award voting and lower finishes. But even if you did, that again would also just be another way of showing that Gordie Howe has the greatest longevity of all-time.

I was called out for doing this in 2017 when I cumulated my defensemen's Norris finishes against my opponent, when I had Harvey and he had an average #1D. Of course Harvey's presence alone skewed any such comparison in my favor, regardless of the flavor I gave it (Top 2 or Top 5 or Top 13 or whatever), and regardless of the overall strenght of the units. This is why I hate comparisons that abstract the three players into a single numerical entity. This obscurs more than it reveals.

I can't go into details about everything else because it's 2AM and I need to sleep but just wanted to throw this out there in case there are some voters left.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
congrats rmartin65, you build a strong team. Good luck the rest of the way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad