ATD2020 Draft Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Looking forward to hearing TDMM go to bat for Hugh Lehman (no doubt with RB supporting him on the side). He does have the potential to be the best goalie available, maybe even for a while if we're talking about his "absolute ceiling". But the playoffs must be unpacked. Probably they already were, but a refresher is always nice.

I agree that as of now I see Lehman as a non-catastrophic goalie, which was the goal at this point of the run on goaltenders, because the catastrophe is coming fast and hard :laugh:

What happened with goalies this year would deserve a thesis. It's like it happened subtly, gradually, without anyone really admitting it.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
They were done by the referee for almost every game, so I'd give him some credit....

He had a competitor who is an undrafted who except for one year Lehman beat routinely for the first team all star spot.

Copy that.

All im saying is that voting by a single person shouldn't count for anything close to other leagues/post consolidation so while 11 1st team AS nods looks mighty impressive as a raw total it must be scrutinized with quite a bit of context IMHO.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Looking forward to hearing TDMM go to bat for Hugh Lehman (no doubt with RB supporting him on the side). He does have the potential to be the best goalie available, maybe even for a while if we're talking about his "absolute ceiling". But the playoffs must be unpacked. Probably they already were, but a refresher is always nice.

I agree that as of now I see Lehman as a not-catastrophic goalie, which was the main goal at this point of the goalie run, because the catastrophe is coming fast and hard :laugh:

Let’s all imagine the 80th goaltender taken. :laugh:

Reactions: BenchBrawl

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

I agree that as of now I see Lehman as a non-catastrophic goalie, which was the goal at this point of the run on goaltenders, because the catastrophe is coming fast and hard :laugh:

What happened with goalies this year would deserve a thesis. It's like it happened subtly, gradually, without anyone really admitting it.

I am the #1 PCHA/WCHL/WHL fanboy

Reactions: Habsfan18

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

Isn't it just supply and demand?

I added:
I agree that as of now I see Lehman as a non-catastrophic goalie, which was the goal at this point of the run on goaltenders

Absolutely. And IMO, we've been at that level for a little while now. Extremely roughly, the 16th-25th group of goalies on the HOH lists. Again, that's my opinion.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
VanI, RB and I just liked the same post simultaneously. Creepy af when this happens.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Looks like you're right, this happened in ATD2011 too (with Vézina being a huge steal taken at 250th after like 25 goalies :laugh:)

Guess I'm just too used to the usual patterns.

I believe Nalyd Psycho also did the groundbreaking Vezina bio that saw his status skyrocket in later years. Probably the 2nd most influential bio on this site after nik jr's bio on Nighbor.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I believe Nalyd Psycho also did the groundbreaking Vezina bio that saw his status skyrocket in later years. Probably the 2nd most influential bio on this site after nik jr's bio on Nighbor.

I vaguely remember this. When I had Vézina in 2013 his reputation was already much better, though perhaps still not as high as today.

nik jr's bio was legendary. Like Isaac Newton discovering the laws of physics, there's only one Frank Nighbor to discover. An historian's dream.

nik jr deserves his fame.

Last edited:

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

Doing it over again I would've waited

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
27 goalies taken so far:

12. Patrick Roy
15. Dominik Hasek
27. Jacques Plante
31. Glenn Hall
42. Martin Brodeur
52. Vladislav Tretiak
55. Terry Sawchuk
59. Ken Dryden
73. Frank Brimsek
87. Georges Vezina
91. Charlie Gardiner
114. Clint Benedict
116. Turk Broda
140. Ed Belfour
142. Bill Durnan
147. Bernie Parent
152. Tony Esposito
158. Johnny Bower
161. Jiri Holecek
165. Tiny Thompson
176. Grant Fuhr
180. Roy Worters
183. Georges Hainsworth
188. Henrik Lundqvist
195. Billy Smith
203. Hugh Lehman

Brodeur and Sawchuk the two biggest steals IMO, so I don't get why RB regrets it now considering he owns both.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
TIER1
12. Patrick Roy
15. Dominik Hasek

TIER2
27. Jacques Plante
31. Glenn Hall
42. Martin Brodeur
52. Vladislav Tretiak
55. Terry Sawchuk
59. Ken Dryden

TIER3
73. Frank Brimsek
87. Georges Vezina
91. Charlie Gardiner
114. Clint Benedict

TIER4
116. Turk Broda
140. Ed Belfour
142. Bill Durnan

TIER5
147. Bernie Parent
152. Tony Esposito
158. Johnny Bower
161. Jiri Holecek
165. Tiny Thompson
176. Grant Fuhr
180. Roy Worters
183. Georges Hainsworth
188. Henrik Lundqvist
195. Billy Smith
203. Hugh Lehman

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
You know, I'm looking at the list from ATD2011—my first draft—and I remember very well the feeling of not knowing like 80% of the players. Not knowing anything about them at all. The board looked like a bunch of random names with no substance or meaning behind them. Now I look at this and I know virtually all players at least in a capsule summary format in my head.

I forget sometimes how hard it can be for a newcomer seeing all those faceless names and trying to make sense of it all.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I still like the idea of compiling a cheat sheet for first-time GM’s. We could take many lesser known greats from early era’s and make modern day comparisons to make it easier on them. Of course the bio’s would help a ton. But I imagine it would be pretty overwhelming for some of the more “casual” history posters to see a guy like Babe Dye and Ken Reardon and have no idea who they are or their style of play. It would be hard to draft a team without at least a passing knowledge of most of the players I would think.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Since we're on the topic...

Chicago selects Tom Barrasso, G

Barrasso has a strong Vezina record of 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, however, some of his finishes in the mid-late 80's came against a fairly weak talent pool (his finishes in the 90's came against strong competition).

Even if you drop Barrasso's Vezina finishes by one spot for those 80's years, he still has a very strong Vezina record of: 2, 2, 3, 3, 3

On top of that he has playoff success with back-to-back Cups on the Penguins, for one of which he was the Conn Smythe runner-up behind Mario

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
The cheat sheet just needs three links:

1. Link to the previous year's ATD list
2. Link to Master Bios (control-f)
3. Link to google, your friend.

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
You know, I'm looking at the list from ATD2011—my first draft—and I remember very well the feeling of not knowing like 80% of the players. Not knowing anything about them at all. The board looked like a bunch of random names with no substance or meaning behind them. Now I look at this and I know virtually all players at least in a capsule summary format in my head.

I forget sometimes how hard it can be for a newcomer seeing all those faceless names and trying to make sense of it all.
Only gonna get worse when we go further down the list and pre-1927 players and euros only get drafted en masse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->