ATD2018 - Draft Thread 3

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
The other option is changing the type of draft....do some sort of ATD but with different rules or stipulations?

It would be pretty neat to see an auction type draft where people can bid on players. Obviously the tough part would be assigning a value for each ATD player but it would certainly add a wrinkle and I think people would really enjoy it, at least in the short term.

You could so something as easy as have a max salary cap for each GM and allow them to bid as much/little on players. So if you really want Bobby Orr and the salary cap for each team is $100, are you willing to spend $25-30-35 on 1 player?

Adds a dynamic that doesn't exist now....

Reactions: ResilientBeast

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
The other option is changing the type of draft....do some sort of ATD but with different rules or stipulations?

It would be pretty neat to see an auction type draft where people can bid on players. Obviously the tough part would be assigning a value for each ATD player but it would certainly add a wrinkle and I think people would really enjoy it, at least in the short term.

You could so something as easy as have a max salary cap for each GM and allow them to bid as much/little on players. So if you really want Bobby Orr and the salary cap for each team is $100, are you willing to spend $25-30-35 on 1 player?

Adds a dynamic that doesn't exist now....

I've tried an auction draft before and absolutely hate it.

Not to mention if we did do something like this, the draft itself would probably take 2 years LOL.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I've tried an auction draft before and absolutely hate it.

Not to mention if we did do something like this, the draft itself would probably take 2 years LOL.

I may take it upon myself to set something up later this summer.....you're more than welcome to join :naughty:

Obviously you'd have to have to figure out a daily schedule...then of course you run the risk of having people not being able to show up for certain day(s)......I'd love to try it, just for a change of scenery. I think the strategies would change very quickly, sometimes more than once for GM's.

If you had daily bidding on groups of players, intermixed, some elite, some great, some good, some average, below average, etc, etc.

If you did 25 daily bids, say you allowed bidding to occur over 3 days, I think you could knock it out in the same time period as the normal ATD. At the end of each day, whoever is collecting bids could post the high bid (without posting which GM made it) and each bid would have to increase say 10% from the previous. So if the last bid is 25, you'd need to add 2.5 to the high bid in order to take over.

Just a rough template....

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I may take it upon myself to set something up later this summer.....you're more than welcome to join :naughty:

Obviously you'd have to have to figure out a daily schedule...then of course you run the risk of having people not being able to show up for certain day(s)......I'd love to try it, just for a change of scenery. I think the strategies would change very quickly, sometimes more than once for GM's.

If you had daily bidding on groups of players, intermixed, some elite, some great, some good, some average, below average, etc, etc.

If you did 25 daily bids, say you allowed bidding to occur over 3 days, I think you could knock it out in the same time period as the normal ATD. At the end of each day, whoever is collecting bids could post the high bid (without posting which GM made it) and each bid would have to increase say 10% from the previous. So if the last bid is 25, you'd need to add 2.5 to the high bid in order to take over.

It might work in a smaller ATD. Like, <10 people.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

I have some ideas if you want to plan for something like this pm me

Reactions: ImporterExporter

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Here’s a link to download the spreadsheet.

Dropbox - Adjusted NHL Stats 1960-2017.xlsx

I think EV VsX would be worth doing. Adjusted even strength points are just a simple scoring level adjustment. Scorers from 1980-1993 (from the increased roster size to the change in TV timeouts) get adjusted down too much in my opinion as that was the era when teams rolled four lines. Also, the numbers for the top players really jump from the O6 years to the expansion years, as average league strength got weaker. EV VsX could address both issues. But I don’t rhink there’s a perfect one size fits all adjustment either, as roles have changed over time for third and fourth line players.

The data should be there on nhl.com to go back to 1933-34, in theory. But I don’t trust the stats for Boston before 1948-49, as it says they consistently “had” very low home PP goals for and against at home. Going back to 1948-49 only might be safer. The numbers from that season on look OK to me.
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I had a question on one of the results.

The spreadsheet shows the following for Sidney Crosby in 2014 (which shows it to be an all-time great season, from the perspective of boosting his team's goal differential):

1697685324202.png

Other sources show positive results for him, but not by nearly as wide a margin.

Hockey-reference shows Crosby at 80 GF and 58 GA at ES:

1697685391881.png

Similarly, at 5v5 only:

1697685429126.png

naturalstattrick.com has Crosby at 81 & 58 at ES, and 69 & 51 (same as above) at 5v5:

1697685463274.png

1697685517638.png

NHL.com also has him at 81 & 58:

1697685576008.png

Do you know the reason for the difference? Is it because the giant spreadsheet includes an estimate for SH GF / PP GA?

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I had a question on one of the results.

The spreadsheet shows the following for Sidney Crosby in 2014 (which shows it to be an all-time great season, from the perspective of boosting his team's goal differential):

View attachment 754555

Other sources show positive results for him, but not by nearly as wide a margin.

Hockey-reference shows Crosby at 80 GF and 58 GA at ES:

View attachment 754556

Similarly, at 5v5 only:

View attachment 754557

naturalstattrick.com has Crosby at 81 & 58 at ES, and 69 & 51 (same as above) at 5v5:

View attachment 754558
View attachment 754559

NHL.com also has him at 81 & 58:

View attachment 754560

Do you know the reason for the difference? Is it because the giant spreadsheet includes an estimate for SH GF / PP GA?

Hey, good question.

The $ in front of the $ESGF means it's adjusted for league scoring level so it can be compared against other seasons, and 2013-14 was a relatively low scoring season. If you find the ESGF-ESGA numbers in the spreadsheet (no $, no adjustment), it's 81-58.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Hey, good question.

The $ in front of the $ESGF means it's adjusted for league scoring level so it can be compared against other seasons, and 2013-14 was a relatively low scoring season. If you find the ESGF-ESGA numbers in the spreadsheet (no $, no adjustment), it's 81-58.
Thanks for this, and I should have been able to guess that (the ratio, which is what's really important, is the same either way).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad