ATD2011 William Northey Prelims: (4) Garnish Phantoms vs. (5) Dawson City Nuggets

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Garnish Phantoms

GMs: tony d and DaveG

Head Coach: Pat Quinn

Kevin Stevens - Joe Malone - Glenn Anderson (A)
Ray Whitney - Doug Gilmour (C) - Rick Tocchet
Rabbit McVeigh - Butch Goring - Kevin Dineen (A)
Hec Kilrea - Cliff Ronning - Tomas Sandstrom
Rick Kehoe, Keith Acton

Rob Blake (A) - Harvey Pulford
Lennart Svedberg - Dollard St Laurent
Kevin Hatcher - Chris Phillips
Dave Manson, Dick Redmond

Terry Sawchuk
Miikka Kiprusoff

PP1: Joe Malone - Doug Gilmour - Glenn Anderson - Rob Blake - Cliff Ronning
PP2: Kevin Stevens - Butch Goring - Ray Whitney - Kevin Hatcher - Lennart Svedberg

PK1: Butch Goring - Rabbit McVeigh - Rob Blake - Harvey Pulford
PK2: Doug Gilmour - Hec Kilrea - Dollard St. Laurent - Chris Phillips

VS

pickaxes.jpg

Dawson City Nuggets

Coach: Herb Brooks
Assistant Coach: Vyacheslav Bykov
Captain: Gilbert Perreault
Assistant Captains: Michel Goulet, Cy Wentworth

Michel Goulet - Gilbert Perreault - Mike Bossy
Venjamin Alexandrov - Vladimir Shadrin - Dino Ciccarelli
Glen Skov - Metro Prystai - Jere Lehtinen
Dave "Tiger" Williams - Doru Tureanu - Allan "Scotty" Davidson
x - Steven Stamkos, Ray Ferraro

Frantisek Pospisil - Oldrich Machac
Clarence "Taffy" Abel - Cy Wentworth
Craig Ludwig - Darius Kasparaitis
x - Anton Volchenkov

Clint Benedict
Viktor Konovolenko

PP1: Goulet-Perreault-Bossy-Pospisil-Machac

PP2: Alexandrov-Shadrin-Ciccarelli-Davidson-Wentworth

PK1: Shadrin-Lehtinen-Pospisil-Abel

PK2: Prystai-Skov-Kasparaitis-Ludwig​

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
Both teams have sub-par top pairings, that's definitely the first thing that jumps out to me.

Definitely true, but I think the Phantoms do have a decided edge on top pairing. (Blake, I think, is somewhat better than Popisil, and Pulford a lot better than Mahac)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Good luck Modo

Funny not so random thought on this series. I had concerns about the Dawson City top line being able to handle some of the more physical top pairings out there. And what do they get? Arguably the most physical top pairing in the draft.

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
When I sent my votes to seventies, I made a point to say to him that I feel awful having Dave's team in 4th, becasue I think that they deserve a lot better than that.

I think that, as I believe Dave just pointed out, the physicality will help a lot. I like this team a lot. I'll be interested to see arguments both ways and if Dave moves past him here, in the future for his team.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
When I sent my votes to seventies, I made a point to say to him that I feel awful having Dave's team in 4th, becasue I think that they deserve a lot better than that.

I think that, as I believe Dave just pointed out, the physicality will help a lot. I like this team a lot. I'll be interested to see arguments both ways and if Dave moves past him here, in the future for his team.

I didn't vote the Garnish Phantoms in a preliminary round position because I didn't think they deserved to be there. It's a team I wouldn't want to face in a first round.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Though what you bring up is an interesting thing with the way Tony and I built our team. A lot of our selections were made disregarding the regular season and focusing far more on post-season success. Gilmour, Goring, Anderson, Blake, Pulford and even to a lesser extent Stevens, St Laurent, and Tocchet are all guys that have reputations as big time playoff players. Add to them one of the best 5 goalies of all time backstopping them. It wasn't necessarily our intent to build a team that's all that much of a regular season powerhouse, as much as it was to build one that would be a very very difficult team to beat in the playoffs, while trying to wear out the opponent over a long series via physicality.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Goulet-Perreault-Bossy is one of the best lines in the league and if Blake-Pulford is the shutdown pair, they would be made to look like pylons at times most likely.

This isn't a slam dunk for Garnish.

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
I think I like the idea of Garnish matching Gilmour up against Perreault until considering the huge mismatch in Whitney covering Bossy.

I'd like to know a little more about Garnish's plans to handle that line, I do like their physical top pairing out there but am also not entirely convinced Perreault won't dance around them on a semi-regular basis if they are going for the big hit.

Looking forward to all arguments, this one is certainly up in the air.

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
I agree certainly this isn't a slam dunk matchup for Garnish, but I was just pointing out how bad felt putting a team that good in 4th!

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Goulet-Perreault-Bossy is one of the best lines in the league and if Blake-Pulford is the shutdown pair, they would be made to look like pylons at times most likely.

This isn't a slam dunk for Garnish.

On the other hand, Dawson's top line doesn't really have a big physical presence, which hurts.

That's really a key to the series for me and something I would like to are both teams talk about.

How does Dawson plan on getting the most out of his top line? How does Garnish plan to stop them?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Oh sure, I get it, everyone talks about how hard it was for Garnish to end up 4th, but not a word about voting Dawson 5th, eh?

You're all jerks! :rant: :sarcasm: :laugh:

Good luck Modo

Funny not so random thought on this series. I had concerns about the Dawson City top line being able to handle some of the more physical top pairings out there. And what do they get? Arguably the most physical top pairing in the draft.

Good luck to you and Tony as well!

I can only hope that my average-at-best defensive pairings can help Benedict hold the fort. Obviously they won't be providing a ton of offense, but I like their physical edge, and an obvious emphasis on blocking shots, which may help slowing down Malone and co.

My rag-tag fourth line is a work in progress....neither I nor Herb Brooks know exactly what they would be capable of as a cohesive group, but I'm interested in figuring it out!

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Trust me, our 4th line is about the same. It won't be a liability and will likely chip in a few goals, but it's certainly not a traditional 4th line. :laugh:

I think I like the idea of Garnish matching Gilmour up against Perreault until considering the huge mismatch in Whitney covering Bossy.

I'd like to know a little more about Garnish's plans to handle that line, I do like their physical top pairing out there but am also not entirely convinced Perreault won't dance around them on a semi-regular basis if they are going for the big hit.

Looking forward to all arguments, this one is certainly up in the air.

We've toyed with the idea of Kilrea on the Gilmour line for a bit and frankly that would probably be a better matchup then Whitney for this series. While from an offensive standpoint it makes a lot of sense to put Gilmour and Whitney together on the 2nd line, Kilrea could provide the checking/defensive edge that Whitney doesn't have. That hurts the offensive side of things a bit but possibly not as much as expected as Kilrea does have a rather huge offensive season under his belt despite being a twentysomething point guy for much of his career.

We're still up in the air on this one of course, and I'll try to talk with Tony tonight to get his opinion on this.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I'm not concerned about whitney lacking intangibles, the big reason I would wonder about him and dougie on the same line is that they are both so biased to playmaking. One would likely need to adapt to be more of a goalscorer, but I don't know how successful either would be at that, at the atd level.

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
The Garnish Phantoms defeat the Dawson City Nuggets 2 games to 0, in overtime of game 2.

3 stars:
1. Sawchuk
2. Gilmour
3. Bossy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->