ATD2011 William Northey Final: (1) New Jersey Swamp Devils vs. (2) Detroit Falcons

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
The reigning champs take on the champs of two years ago, this one was interesting.

Game 1:
The Richard brothers chemistry is potent, but not too much for Doug Harvey. Him and Flaman play well defensively. But a bad change sparks a 3-on-1 with Henri getting the puck to Tommy Phillips. Ziggy Palffy and Vyacheslav Starshinov also score. Elmer Lach scored for the Falcons. NJ wins 3-1. NJ 1-0

Game 2:
Maurice scores a first period goal on the power play. And Bill Quackenbush would also tally. Firsov and Krutov both score big goals in the third. Elmer Lach would get a loose puck late in the third and the Falcons would tie the series with a 3-2 victory. TIED 1-1

Game 3:
All Devils. Henri and Maurice both score. And Palffy is also big as he scores. The Falcons don't have much to respond with at home besides a Zdeno Chara goal in the second. Chuck Gardiner plays a fantastic game and the Devils hold on for the 2-1 victory. NJ 2-1

Game 4:
Vyacheslav Starshinov scores a timely goal in the first, and the Devils start playing shutdown hockey. Doug Harvey scores to tie the game at one in the second. A late goal by Maurice sends the Devils over the Falcons. Michal Handzus adds an empty netter. NJ 3-1

Game 5:
Al Rollins was yet to be exposed in the series, but the Devils let loose in the fifth game. Maurice, Palffy and Phillips all scored in the first. But so did Firsov and Kenny Mosdell. Doug Harvey makes things complicated and ties the game at three. We're going to overtime. First OT, all defense. A few powerplays for the Falcons, strong penalty killing by the Devils. Second OT, it's a power play for the Swamp Devils and it's Henri Richard who scores and sends the Swamp Devils to the next round. 4-3 final. NJ 4-1

New Jersey Swamp Devils defeat Detroit Falcons in 5 games.

3 STARS:
1. Maurice Richard, NJ
2. Doug Harvey, DET
3. Chuck Gardiner, NJ

HM's: Firsov, H. Richard, Palffy, Lach

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I'm relieved to first win, second escape in only 5 games. 7 games against this defense would have left my forwards in pretty sorry physical shape going into the next round.

You had a good team, EB, and it's apparent to me that you wouldn't have gone down in only 5 if you'd had the time to research all your picks as thoroughly as usual before drafting them. IMO, the back to back Corbeau and Sloan picks (both of whom you said you didn't thoroughly research until after drafting) probably sunk you in the end, given how razor thin differences are between teams anymore.

On another note, I'm surprised to see Maurice first star and Henri an HM. I thought Henri would be key to limiting Harvey's effectiveness as much as Harvey could limit Maurice's.
Whatever, I'll take it.

You constructed a much better team than I would have if I were in a foreign country with sporadic Internet!

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
By the way, out of all your bios, your Vikulov one is actually the one that really made the player rise in my mind. He'll be a solid second line offensive player, even when we contract down to 28 or 32 teams!

Somewhere in Internet heaven, "TheSabre" is happy to hear this.... ("he" PMed me out of nowhere at some point, suggesting I draft Vikulov, which I found quite presumptuous from a "new poster.". Heh

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
By the way, out of all your bios, your Vikulov one is actually the one that really made the player rise in my mind. He'll be a solid second line offensive player, even when we contract down to 28 or 32 teams!

Somewhere in Internet heaven, "TheSabre" is happy to hear this.... ("he" PMed me out of nowhere at some point, suggesting I draft Vikulov, which I found quite presumptuous from a "new poster.". Heh

well... he did show wisdom beyond his years...

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Surprised this one was so short with the D that the Falcons had available.

I thought my D alone would win me a couple of games.

I'm relieved to first win, second escape in only 5 games. 7 games against this defense would have left my forwards in pretty sorry physical shape going into the next round.

You had a good team, EB, and it's apparent to me that you wouldn't have gone down in only 5 if you'd had the time to research all your picks as thoroughly as usual before drafting them. IMO, the back to back Corbeau and Sloan picks (both of whom you said you didn't thoroughly research until after drafting) probably sunk you in the end, given how razor thin differences are between teams anymore.

On another note, I'm surprised to see Maurice first star and Henri an HM. I thought Henri would be key to limiting Harvey's effectiveness as much as Harvey could limit Maurice's.
Whatever, I'll take it.

You constructed a much better team than I would have if I were in a foreign country with sporadic Internet!

- Yep, winning in 5 games your first two rounds is definitely an advantage you have over your next adversary.

- But that was the plan all along! Since I didn't have that much time, I decided to just pick players I wanted to research and select them at the range they usually go. Don't worry, if I really wanted to win, I would of drafted Roy Worters again at 324 (which was the original plan) and I probably would of skipped on Tod Sloan if I had research him throughly as I usually do before selecting. Also, I wouldn't of picked Vladimir Krutov, as he's perhaps the only player you just can't win with him, because of the massive bias toward him. However, I would of missed on some great players like Anatoli Firsov and Al Rollins, as it took me hours to really understand how great they were. All in all, it's funny to say but it's probably the draft where I given the most to the ATD community, in the sense that I think people who took the time to read my biography really discover some players and how history should remember them like Anatoli Firsov, Tod Sloan, Cecil Dillon, Vladimir Vikulov, Bert Corbeau and Al Rollins. PS: I still very convince that Bert Corbeau is a fantastic #4 defenceman in this draft. Not a great peak but fantastic longevity.

- I would think than about 50% of the voters read our discussion from first to last post. I also think that Henri was just as much important to your success in this series than Maurice.

- Thank You! Too bad I couldn't be more present through the whole process, but yea I'll be honest the ATD was not as high on my priority list than the last few years. You have a great team TDMM, good luck in the next series!

- I also think too. I've already been vocal that Vikulov was a better player than Tod Sloan, who was pickied 120 picks before him. Fantastic playmaker with good goalscoring credentials, not inept in his own zone, decent leader and a slow but swift skater. I completely agree that he should get picked a good 100 spots higher next time, if not a tad more. But you know me, I'm always trenching the way for those 'unknown' to receive the respect they deserve, which they do ... the following draft! (case in point, Roy Worters)

- lol. I was actually thinking how easy it would be for VanI to just post a few months on a teams board, getting easily a few hundred post and then apply again to the ATD. It's easy to get around an IP adress if you change Internet connection right?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->