Portland Pirates
Tidewater Sharks
Toronto St. Pats
Vancouver Millionaires

Last edited:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
My #4 pick is available if anybody wants it. I'm willing to trade both my whole set of picks or just the 1st rounder.

Last edited by a moderator:

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
my #19 pick (as a set) is available...

on a side note, i'm pretty excited to get this going. i spent the past couple hours coaching on the 1980 ussr olympic bench in lake placid - definitely been in a hockey history mood all day...

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I have no idea why Dreakmur would do that, but I obviously have no problems with GMs picking their draft positions.

Oh and for the record, I'm not married to the idea of picking 16th, so if anyone wants to swap all their picks with mine, I'm game, so long as I like your position.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
I have no idea why Dreakmur would do that, but I obviously have no problems with GMs picking their draft positions.

Oh and for the record, I'm not married to the idea of picking 16th, so if anyone wants to swap all their picks with mine, I'm game, so long as I like your position.

I'm pretty sure it's because Dreak picked #4 a couple drafts ago and was likely disinterested in doing so again.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
ATD2011 - Trade Thread

TDMM.. wanna swap all my picks starting at 11 for your 16?

Last edited by a moderator:

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
As we're still a week away from starting, I wanted to poll other GMs on a hypothetical trade offer.

Team A: First round pick (20s), 20th-23rd rounders
Team B: 6th to 10th rounders

Would you veto such a deal? Why or why not?

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
As we're still a week away from starting, I wanted to poll other GMs on a hypothetical trade offer.

I don't know if I'd outright veto it, but I think I'd ask if the difference between rounds could be decreased slightly. A 1st and a 14th for a 4th and a 6th, sure, I think that's fair value wise.

Assuming that the first rounder is 20, and the GM acquiring it has 21 for the sake of making it easier, that'd be 20 and 861 (22nd rounder) for 220 (6th rounder) and 380 (10th rounder). So moving down 200 spots out of the first round in order to gain almost 500 spots in the middle of the draft? On second thought, I think I might veto that...

You're basically trading a franchise player, whether that be a forward, defenseman or goalie and a 4th liner/bottom pairing defenseman/backup goalie/low level coach for two average top-6 forwards/top-4 defenseman/starting goalies. I can't think of any examples of players currently in the league that would fit the franchise player bill and not have a single chance of getting drafted, or else I'd make an analogy.

Although, in a 40 team draft, losing a top notch player could really end up hurting, even if you're gaining a ton of depth...hmm. Especially if you fall in a matchup with a team boasting a top-10 guy or even worse a top-4 guy...having your best player/series difference maker as a guy who you picked at 60 (assuming they keep their second rounder and don't move up to acquire a higher pick)...regardless of depth, that's tough to overcome. On the flipside, the team taking the first rounder is basically gaining another franchise player at the cost of losing a solid 2nd liner...who could possibly be replaced with a bargain bin guy, without really hurting the team all that much. However, yeah, I don't think that either team is getting an unfair advantage over the rest of us either...

tl;dr - This isn't nearly as clear cut as I originally thought looking at it, but I think I'd stick with my first instinct and let it pass.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
VCL, based on your numbers, I'd be inclined to veto too, but for the OPPOSITE reason. 200 picks from the first round is huge value, likely a lot more than 500 later.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004

An ENTIRE 5-man 2nd unit (2nd line and 2nd pairing) for one guy who is 20th overall?

VETO.

In a 40-team draft it will be crucial to be careful to get a quality top two lines, the first 10-11 rounds. Round 20 will be traditionally MLD-selected guys.

Even for 1st overall pick, giving up the entire second line and second pairing is absurd. The team wouldn't be able to start filling those positions in until the 11th round, outside the top-400 picks.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
1-20-21-22-23
FOR
6-7-8-9-10

I'm taking 6 through 10 and I win the draft thank you very much. Everyone will good knowledge and some experience in this draft would build the winning team if they could get the consecutive picks. Just my two cents.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Isn't that the exact same trade that VI and 70s were nearly executed for pulling off?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
1-20-21-22-23
FOR
6-7-8-9-10

I'm taking 6 through 10 and I win the draft thank you very much. Everyone will good knowledge and some experience in this draft would build the winning team if they could get the consecutive picks. Just my two cents.

see, those are my thoughts. but if i understanad VCL and VI, they see it as lopsided in the opposite way. Which is exactly what I thought a deal of this magnitude would do.

Isn't that the exact same trade that VI and 70s were nearly executed for pulling off?

Yes, it's much like what we did (1, 21, 22, 23, 24 for 2, 11, 12, 13, 14) But no, we were not "nearly executed" - IIRC, no one cared at all. But later on, I think it was mentioned as a trade that would not fly going forward.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

You mean Team A is trading every pick between the 6th and 10th round to Team B for a 1st rounder and 3 bench warmers? The team getting the first rounder is getting hosed and I would be inclined to veto.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Yes, after thinking about it, I would enjoy picking 11th very much. :naughty:

To North Poll Penguinators: All Swamp Devils picks starting at #16
To New Jersey Swamp Devils: All Penguinator picks starting at #11

AGREED. TYVM.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
All five of the picks from rounds 6 to 10? I'd absolutely veto that then. I was under the impression that the trade was:

1, 21/22

for

6, 10

But if it's 5 picks going each way like I understand it to be now, absolutely no way. That's an incredible advantage to the team giving up the first rounder.

VCL, based on your numbers, I'd be inclined to veto too, but for the OPPOSITE reason. 200 picks from the first round is huge value, likely a lot more than 500 later.

Interesting. I'd personally take two second liners over a franchise guy and a scrub...even more so if we're talking about an entire second line and a second pairing on D vs. a franchise player and four scrubs. That's ridiculous value going to a team that will be able to build 3 lines of top-6 calibre forwards along with 3 pairings of top-4 defenseman at the cost of a top-20 player.

Let me put it this way:

One team receives (insert top-20 player of choice here) and Darrell Powe, Blair Betts, Daniel Carcillo, and Sean O'Donnell. The fourth line guys/bottom pairing defenseman for the best team in the league. In exchange for that, you receive:

Alex Burrows, Mikael Samuelsson, Mason Raymond, Dan Hamhuis and Kevin Bieksa. (despite the ten billion Nucks fans in this draft, no one is drafting them)

Using my lame analogy to relate to current players, I know what package I'm taking. I don't care if it's the guy that'll get taken first overall, relative to the ATD, I take the 5 middle round guys everytime. (sorry for all the modern day name dropping)

Edit: I somehow missed his post...but as far as I'm understanding him, it seems like VanI and I are in agreement.

Last edited:

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
ATD 2011 Trade Thread

Well, I've already volunteered to be part of the trade veto committee, so I figured I'd start this thread up as well. Post EVERY trade here from now on, so we can free up the clutter out of the main thread and make trades easier to track. I think 70s will have the sole discretion of ignoring any trade made in the main draft thread, but that's up to him to decide.

Members of the trade committee:

jareklajkosz
TheDevilMadeMe
vancityluongo
MVPeyton

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->