Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
NIAGRA CITY BLUES
Al Secord - Mats Sundin - Pavel Bure
Dennis Hull - Buddy O’Connor - Petr Bondra
Tommy Anderson - Guy Carbonneau - Joe Mullen
Miroslav Satan - Dale Hunter - Milan Hejduk
That's actually not bad. No true checking line, but I like your forward corps overall. Vancouver has the top end talent at forward, but also has twice as many duds.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
ahahah I'm trying to fit in everyone's recommendations. I forgot who told me this, but two big bodies like Secord and Sundin with a speedy winger like Bure sounds pretty good

If it's the setup you've listed, it was my suggestion from the assassination thread. You don't really have the horses to make much of the 4th line, but I think it gives your team much better balance in the top 9, gives you usable checking/grind line, and keeps all your players in their natural positions.

Al Secord - Mats Sundin - Pavel Bure
Dennis Hull - Buddy O’Connor - Petr Bondra
Tommy Anderson - Guy Carbonneau - Joe Mullen
Miroslav Satan - Dale Hunter - Milan Hejduk

Ray Sheppard
Anton Stastny
Petr Nedved

Defensemen
Doug Mohns - Al MacInnis
Jimmy Watson- Dave Babych
Tomas Kaberle- Darryl Sydor

Goaltenders
Billy Smith
Chris Osgood

Last edited:

hungryhungryhippy

Feb 7, 2010
Vancouver will be playing with the following lines:

Bruce MacGregor - Joe Sakic - Bill Cook
Patrick Marleau - Brad Richards - Frank Finnigan
Tony Leswick - Tumba Johansson - Pavol Demitra
Alex Shibicky - Doug Riseborough - Chico Maki

Vancouver isn't particularly concerned with getting matchups, Niagra doesn't really have a big line, per say, and Vancouver has speed and defensive utility spread amongst all the forwards.

Pavel Bure is likely Niagra's biggest weapon, and MacGregor and Leswick can both match up fine against him, and even Marleau wouldn't be a liability because he has great speed and defensive consciousness.

With that being said, I want to go power with power, and put my first line up against Niagra's first line as much as possible. I feel like Sakic and Cook would dominate and control the play more than Sundin and Bure would be able to, and MacGregor on the line provides a nice insurance policy against Bure. MacGregor had BLAZING SPEED, and is famous for successfully shutting down the speedy right winger Yvan Cournoyer.

Niagra has some nice depth pieces offensively, but there is little chemistry or cohesiveness as a team, and Vancouver's mix of speedy, defensively conscious forwards will be able to mitigate some of those depth scorers that Niagra has.

Amongst Vancouver bottom 3 lines are 4 time retro selke winner Frank Finnigan, speedy responsible forward Patrick Marleau, Tony Leswick who was a speedy skater, agitator, and shut down forward against the likes of Maurice Richard, and another strong skating, pesky, defensive forward in Doug Riseborough.

Niagra, on the other hand, just doesn't have the tools to stop Vancouver's top line for dominating this series, and they're outclassed on the blueline and in net.

Vancouver has the high end forwards, a stronger overall blueline, and more consistent goaltending.

I think a lot of people underestimate Vancouver's blueline depth and the tactical advantage that a strong second shutdown pairing like Thomson-Mortson provide.

I believe that Vancouver was one of the first few teams to pick up a #3 defenseman (Mortson), the first team to round out their top-4 with Bob Goldham, and then also first team to pick up a #5 defenseman in Numminen (in case of injuries, which are a reality in the playoffs).

Numminen is a guy who could easily play in the top-4 in this thing and not look out of place, boy... looking around the league, there are some teams with #5 dmen who I would NOT want playing 18+ minutes a game.

Last edited:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Niagra, on the other hand, just doesn't have the tools to stop Vancouver's top line for dominating this series, and they're outclassed on the blueline and in net.

Vancouver has the high end forwards, a stronger overall blueline, and more consistent goaltending.

Agreed. While I do like MacInnis and Mohns as a defense pairing, I don't think they stand up to Sakic and Cook. Carbonneau is a good start, but stoppig your line is more than a one person job. You need either an elite shut-down pairing or an elite checking line, or maybe just a real strong one of both to get the job done.

I think a lot of people underestimate Vancouver's blueline depth and the tactical advantage that a strong second shutdown pairing like Thomson-Mortson provide.

I believe that Vancouver was one of the first few teams to pick up a #3 defenseman (Mortson), the first team to round out their top-4 with Bob Goldham, and then also first team to pick up a #5 defenseman in Numminen (in case of injuries, which are a reality in the playoffs).

Numminen is a guy who could easily play in the top-4 in this thing and not look out of place, boy... looking around the league, there are some teams with #5 dmen who I would NOT want playing 18+ minutes a game.

I think you're over-rarting Mortson quite a bit. I'm not a fan. I've researched him a few times, and I cannot remember any good evidence that he was good defensively. I think Jimmy Thomson really carried him when they were the Gold Dusties.

Having said that, I think he's actually your #4 (behind Goldham), and he is real solid in that role. You do have a very strong depth through your defense core.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Seventies, I think Matsblue settled on a new lineup (post #24 in this thread). It might be a little late, but the top post should probably be updated. His new lineup works much, much better IMO.

matsblue13

Dec 18, 2010
Caledon
Firstly, I'd like to thank you guys for helping me along the way. It wasn't just a couple of you, a lot of you guys gave me a ton of advice. That being said, I am unable to argue my team against Vancouver because I simply do not know enough about the players. A couple more ATD's and I can see myself comparing and contrasting. In conclusion, this has been a great experience and may the best team win.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Firstly, I'd like to thank you guys for helping me along the way. It wasn't just a couple of you, a lot of you guys gave me a ton of advice. That being said, I am unable to argue my team against Vancouver because I simply do not know enough about the players. A couple more ATD's and I can see myself comparing and contrasting. In conclusion, this has been a great experience and may the best team win.

Hey man, good on you for sticking it out. Trust me, it gets better after the first one :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->