ATD2011 Foster Hewitt Prelims: (4) Pittsburgh Bankers vs. (5) Toronto Maple Leafs

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
PITTSBURGH BANKERS

Manager: JFA87-66-99

Head Coach: Frank Boucher
Assistant Coach: Claude Ruel
Captain:
Assistant Captains:

ROSTER:
Valeri Kharlamov-Newsy Lalonde-Mike Gartner
Alexander Yakushev-Bill Cowley-Harry Westwick
Harry Smith-Pavel Datsyuk-Cully Wilson
Alexei Guryshev-Dick Irvin -Mike Keane
Spares:Haviland Routh

Harry Cameron-Bill Barilko
Mike Grant-Lars-Erik Sjoberg
Jack Laviolette-Andre Dupont
Spares: Jack Campbell

Rogie Vachon
Marc-Andre Fleury

PP1:

PP2:

PK1:

PK2:

Round #1, 37th Overall- C Newsy Lalonde
Round #2, 47th Overall- LW Valeri Kharlamov
Round #3, 114th Overall- C Bill Cowley
Round #4, 127th Overall- D Harry Cameron
Round #5, 194th Overall- C Pavel Datsyuk
Round #6, 207th Overall- LW Alexander Yakushev
Round #7, 274th Overall- D Mike Grant
Round #8, 287th Overall- RW Mike Gartner
Round #9, 354th Overall- D Bill Barilko
Round #10 367th Overall- G Rogie Vachon
Round #11 434 Overall- W Harry Westwick
Round #12 447th Overall- D Lars-Erik Sjoberg

VS

Toronto Maple Leafs
:leafs:

Head Coach:Toe Blake
Assistant Coach:
Captain: Ted Lindsay
Assistant Captains:

ROSTER
#7 Ted Lindsay - #10 Joe Primeau - #9 Charlie Conacher
#8 Rusty Crawford - #12 Eric Staal - #8 Ron Ellis
#32 Steve Thomas- #8 Cooney Weiland-#44 Stephane Richer
#26 Thomas Vanek, LW- #7 Gary Unger - #17 Bill Ezinicki
Spares:#25 Peter Zezel #11 Jordan Staal

#27 Scott Niedermayer - #2 Red Dutton
#4 Ron Greschner -#10 Billy Coutu
#3 Dion Phaneuf- #4 Dave Ellett
Spares:#3 Sylvain Cote

#1 Gump Worsley
#30 Cam Ward
#1 Reggie M. Lemelin

PP1:#7 Ted Lindsay - #10 Joe Primeau - #9 Charlie Conacher #27 Scott Niedermayer #4 Dave Ellett spare #44 Stephane Richer

PP2:#26 Thomas Vanek #12 Eric Staal - #8 Ron Ellis#4 Ron Greschner #3 Dion Phaneuf spare #44 Stephane Richer

PK1:#12 Eric Staal - #8 Ron Ellis #27 Scott Niedermayer - #2 Red Dutton

PK2:#26 Thomas Vanek, LW- #7 Gary Unger
#4 Ron Greschner -#10 Billy Coutu

Draft Picks:
Round 1:26th Overall-#7 Ted Lindsay,LW
Round 2:55th Overall-#9 Charlie Conacher, RW
Round 3:106th Overall-#27 Scott Niedermayer, D
Round 4:135th Overall-#10 Joe Primeau,C
Round 5:186th Overall-#1 Gump Worsley, G
Round 6:215th Overall-Toe Blake, Coach
Round 7:266th Overall-#8 Rusty Crawford, LW
Round 8:295th Overall-#2 Red Dutton, D
Round 9:346th Overall-#8 Ron Ellis, RW
Round 10:375th Overall-#8 Cooney Weiland, C
Round 11:426th Overall-#12 Eric Staal,C
Round 12:455th Overall-#4 Ron Greschner, D
Round 13:506th Overall-#10 Billy Coutu,D
Round 14:535th Overall-#3 Dion Phaneuf, D
Round 15:586th Overall-#7 Gary Unger, C
Round 16:615th Overall-#17 Bill Ezinicki, RW
Round 17:666th Overall-#32 Steve Thomas, LW
Round 18:695th Overall-#26 Thomas Vanek, LW
Round 19:746th Overall- #44 Stephane Richer LW/RW
Round 20:775th Overall- #4 Dave Ellet D
Round 21:826th.Overall-#25 Peter Zezel, C
Round 22:855th Overall #3 Sylvain Cote D
Round 23:905th Overall -#30 Cam Ward G
Round 24:935th Overall- #1 Reggie M. Lemelin G
Round 25:986th Overall- #11 Jordan Staal C

More bios are on page one of the bio thread for this draft

#7 Ted Lindsay,LW

When Terrible ted retired he was 3rd all time point getter in the NHL with 851 points behind only Gordie Howe 1361 and Maurice Richard 965.

He was also the third highest goal scorer with 379 behind only The Rocket 544 and Mr Hockey 595.

Lindsay's is the only player to have led the league in goals, assists, points and penalty minutes.

Terrible ted was a leader,swift skater,a good checker, skilled with the puck, very feisty tenacious with a great all round game.

Ultra talented cheap shot artist or old school, hard hockey superstar.

More than just a cheap-shot artist, he was playing in the same league as everybody else in his day. If he was the only one who thought to play dirty, then congratulate him for being a genius in a league of idiots. But we're talking about a guy who won an Art Ross trophy by 10 clear points over his more-famous linemate and finished top 10 a bunch of times. Lindsay used intimidation to great effect, but he fought quite a bit too, and backed it all up with scoring.

Many of us modern hockey fans (who have never seen Lindsay play) will hear his name and imagine a star player who was tough as nails, and maybe threw a few questionable checks in his day, but generally just an old school, hard hockey legend.

The truth is he was a really, really dirty hockey player. He was directly responsible for the NHL's introduction of elbowing and kneeing penalties. Kneeing players. He was kneeing players so often and so maliciously that the league deemed it necessary to create a rule against it. He received over 400 stitches to his face during his career. He earned the nicknames Terrible Ted and Scarface.

He is an all-time great that stopped at nothing to win the game. Kind of like another version of the Rocket. It is no coincidence that the Wings never won another Cup without Terrible Ted. You can't replace his heart. Yes he delivered some cheap shots. I think he would still be loved in todays NHL.

Interesting enough back in 1954 Lindsay started a new tradition as he was the first player to hoist the cup over his head and do a victory lap around the ice.

He was an intelligent player on and off the ice.

Lindsay was definitely an old school, hardboiled hockey superstar. I think of him as a much more talented Bobby Clarke type but who did not need the rest of the roster to finish what he started. His leadership extended beyond the ice too.

Was there a more unlikely fellow to rally the other NHLers in an attempt to get a better deal for all? Ted Lindsay, one of the league's superstars and best-paid players and also a successful businessman in his off-hours, did not stand to gain personally in any way from the proposed association. Many of today's players could use a little of his Lindsay's integrity

Boldly Lindsay tried to start a players union to end the owners dictatorship over the players. To stop the injustice to keep the merely good players from being taken advantage off any longer. However the owners were able to squash the union Lindsay and the other trouble makers were banished to Chicago as punishment.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=755276

Seasons 17
Era 1Mid 1940's to mid 1960's
RS 1068 379 472 851 1808
PO 133 47 49 96 194
NHL 1st All-Star Team 9 Times
All Star Games 10
Top 10 Goals 1946-47 (6)1947-48 (1)1948-49 (2)49-50 (9) 1950-51(6) 1951-52 (3)1952-53 (2)1953-54 (5)55-56 (6) 56-57(6)
All Time Goal Leaders NHL Career (97) 379
Top 10 Points 1947-48 NHL (9)1948-49 (3) 1949-50 (1)1950-51 (7)
1951-52 (2)1952-53 (2)1953-54 (3)1956-57 (2)
Stanley Cup 4
HOF 1970
Role Leader /Stud Forward

http://www.hockey-reference.com/

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I can't see Pittsburgh's defensemen coming close to handling Toronto's dominant top line.

On the other hand, Pittsburgh has great depth at forward, especially up the middle and could carry the play against Toronto's lower lines.

Toe Blake is arguably the best coach ever; it will be interesting to see his gameplan here.

hungryhungryhippy

Feb 7, 2010
Apparently I thought more highly of the Bankers than everyone else did; their first line is absolutely lethal -- so dangerous and so speedy -- and there is strong scoring depth amongst the forward group. Cameron is a lower-end #1, but he's a great offensive guy, and he complements the forward group perfectly. He could do wonders moving the puck to some of these forwards. The team is obviously offensively inclined.

Both teams in this series have weak goal-tending and a shallow blue line, and I don't really see any potential matchups that would significantly favor one team. This series might just turn into a high-scoring, power vs power match up between the forwards. Toronto's 1st line would dominate the matchup against any of Pittsburgh's lines due to stronger physical and two-way play, but Pittsburgh's first line has the speed and ability to strike quickly, and with Cowley and Datsyuk centering the 2nd and 3rd lines, they will probably control the flow of the game for the most minutes.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Kharlamov-Lalonde-Gartner isnèt even far behind Toronto;s big line, which is their bread and butter because lets be honest after that the cupboard is pretty bare. The Datsyuk line would throttle any of Toronto defence pairs that doesnt have Niedermayer on the ice.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
Kharlamov-Lalonde-Gartner isnèt even far behind Toronto;s big line, which is their bread and butter because lets be honest after that the cupboard is pretty bare. The Datsyuk line would throttle any of Toronto defence pairs that doesnt have Niedermayer on the ice.

That really speaks more of the weakness of the Toronto defense though than the Datsyuk line offense, which I'm not that confident. The wingers of the Pittsburgh third line (which provide the goalscoring) are very weak as well.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I don't like Cameron as a #1. He has the skills to be a basement #1 perhaps, but it's known that he refused to take part in a training regimen, even when asked by his coach. His natural skills were so good, his teams kept bringing him back, despite this. But I don't think he'd have the endurance to handle #1 minutes in the modern, faster paced game if he won't train himself. It's a bigger problem when his partner is probably not top pairing quality, certainly not nearly as good as Red Dutton.

Toronto had a fairly weak blueline, as well, but their too pairing is of higher quality IMO.

Will Leaf Lander play his top pair with his top line to really dominate 20 minutes of the game at the expense of the other 40? Its an interesting call.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Both bluelines are a problem , might be high scoring full of turn-overs kind of games.

Last edited:

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Strength vs. Strength with both teams' top lines. Sub-par defenses for both, Worsley will have to win some games to make up for the lack of depth Toronto has compared to Pittsburgh.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
You guys missed one of my spares in Lorne Campbell on the roster part. I thought i had him in over guryshev.

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
Extremely weird division to judge for me. Lots of offense.

This series is going to be the highest scoring of the prelim rounds I think. Could go either way.

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
I would just like to say that my team has the 2 best players and the best coach

all the best

I would disagree with that. Its actually possible he has two of the best three honestly. I'm not sure which of Kharlamov and Conacher is better.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
Valeri Kharlamov-Newsy Lalonde-Mike Gartner
Alexander Yakushev-Bill Cowley-Harry Westwick
Harry Smith-Pavel Datsyuk-Cully Wilson
Alexei Guryshev-Dick Irvin -Mike Keane
Spares:Haviland Routh

Harry Cameron-Bill Barilko
Mike Grant-Lars-Erik Sjoberg
Jack Laviolette-Andre Dupont

This is my 3rd all-time draft and this is by far the best team that I have put together. The thing I like about my team now is there is a littlbit of everything. I have plenty of skilled players but I also added some nice tough guys too in Harry Westwick,Cully Wilson,Andre Dupont. this would be a good series butI think the Bankers have too much offensive depth for the maple leafs and there defense wouldn't be able to handle the shift after shift of skilled players.

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
The Toronto Maple Leafs defeat the Pittsburgh Bankers in overtime of game 3.

3 stars:
1. Ted Lindsay
2. Valerei Kharlamov
3. Charlie Conacher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad