ehsl.proboards32.com
As per tradition.

Cut and paste and voice your opinion:

Biggest Steal of the draft
Biggest Reach of the draft
Smartest/best strategic pick in the draft
Biggest blunder selection of the draft
A Player finally getting respect in the draft
A player always taken too high, finally getting picked where he should in the draft
A player you've discovered in this draft
Most underrated player taken
Most overrated player taken
Favourite line of the draft
Best assembled line of the draft
Worst assembled line of the draft
Favourite pairing of defensemen
Most puzzling pairing of defensemen
Team in the other conference it'd be interesting to meet in the finals
Team in the other conference you wouldn't want to meet in the finals
A funny/dramatic story (related to the ATD) you've learned about since the start of the draft

---

Best selection: You cannot vote for players you own
1st round:
2nd round:
3rd round:
4th round:
5th round:
6th round:
7th round:
8th round:
9th round:
10th round:
11th round:
12nd round:
13th round:
14th round:
15th round:
16th round:
17th round:
18th round:
19th round:
20th round:
21st round:
22nd round:
23th round:
24th round:
25th round:

'Worst' Selection
1st round:
2nd round:
3rd round:
4th round:
5th round:
6th round:
7th round:
8th round:
9th round:
10th round:
11th round:
12nd round:
13th round:
14th round:
15th round:
16th round:
17th round:
18th round:
19th round:
20th round:
21st round:
22nd round:
23th round:
24th round:
25th round:

Also, feel free to add any other comments or reflections about your experience/team this year.

Last edited:

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Biggest Steal of the draft Sergei Makarov
Biggest Reach of the draft Mats Sundin
Smartest/best strategic pick in the draft Sturm was able to draft a nice team around Paul Coffey, which is not easy to do.
Biggest blunder selection of the draft I won't punch on Mats Sundin again. I'll say Bill Barilko getting picked 400+ earlier than he should
A Player finally getting respect in the draft Both oldtime superstars Cyclone Taylor and Frank Nighbor
A player always taken too high, finally getting picked where he should in the draft Eric Lindros around 150
A player you've discovered in this draft A whole bunch of them. Vladimir Vikulov was a guy I only knew by his name before the draft and now I know pretty much all the specifics of his game
Most underrated player taken I knew last draft what people are starting to see on Roy Worters this time. Very underrated.
Most overrated player taken Taking aside the obvious blunders, I'm not sure why Foote is always taken in the early 200's.
Favourite line of the draft Aurel Joliat - Stan Mikita - Didier Pitre
Best assembled line of the draft I would name the Mikita line again, but I'll go with Paul Kariya - Mario Lemieux - Boris Mikhailov
Worst assembled line of the draft Rick Nash - Dan Bain - Paul Henderson, one puck won't be enough on the ice, although I love all three players individually.
Favourite pairing of defensemen Lloyd Cook - Art Duncan/Bill Gadsby - Sylvio Mantha
Most puzzling pairing of defensemen X
Team in the other conference it'd be interesting to meet in the finals Gwinett Gladiators would be an excellent offense vs. defence matchup.
Team in the other conference you wouldn't want to meet in the finals X
A funny/dramatic story (related to the ATD) you've learned about since the start of the draft Tragic death of Bert Corbeau, drowning on his boat alongside three-dozen of his friends.

---

Best selection:
1st round: X
2nd round: Sergei Makarov
3rd round: X
4th round: Aleksandr Maltsev
5th round: Sweeney Schriner
6th round: Vladimir Petrov
7th round: Martin St-Louis
8th round: Russell Bowie/Vyacheslav Starshinov
9th round: Roy Worters/Helmuts Balderis
10th round: Hugh Lehman
11th round: Pit Lepine
12nd round: Art Chapman
13th round: Harry Oliver
14th round: Rick Nash
15th round: Louis Berlinguette/Zinetula Bilyaletdinov
16th round: X
17th round: Andrei Khomutov
18th round: Lorne Carr/Clint Smith
19th round: Vasili Pervukhin
20th round: Viktor Shalimov
21st round: Riley Hern
22nd round: Vyacheslav Bykov/Billy Gilmour
23th round: John Sorrell/Alex Shibicky
24th round: Vladimir Myshkin
25th round: Jiri Kralik/David Bauer, coach

'Worst' Selection
1st round: Al MacInnis
2nd round: Mats Sundin
3rd round: X
4th round: Vladimir Konstantinov
5th round: Sergei Zubov
6th round: Adam Foote
7th round: Rusty Crawford
8th round: Vsevolod Bobrov
9th round: Bill Barilko
10th round: X
11th round: JP Parise
12nd round: Willie Mitchell
13th round: Dennis Kearns/Duncan Keith
14th round: Dion Phaneuf
15th round: Don Cherry, Coach
16th round: Anders Eldebrink
17th round: X
18th round: Tiger Williams/Ryan Suter/Lyle Odelein
19th round: Mike Fisher
20th round: Dave Schultz
21st round: Michal Handzus
22nd round: Rob Niedermayer
23th round: Anton Volchenkov/Aaron Ward
24th round: Gary Roberts, Conditioning Coach/Manny Malhotra
25th round: Dan Bylsma, Coach/Chris Nilan

Also, feel free to add any other comments or reflections about your experience/team this year.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Team in the other conference it'd be interesting to meet in the finals Gwinett Gladiators would be an excellent offense vs. defence matchup.

Yes...yes it would. Strange that our teams have never met in the playoffs, Eagle, considering how many times we've both gotten to the conference finals and beyond. I think ATD#11 was the closest we came. We would have matched up in the finals then if not for arrbez.

Thanks for the compliment on how we built this team around Paul Coffey. You're right; it was not easy.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I think Makarov should of been picked in the high 60's. It's hard to have 'steals' in the early rounds, but if I had to call one in the second round, it's Makarov no doubt.

A few picks one way or another is basically meaningless.

Personally, I think Mikhailov is better than Makarov anyway, so he's a bigger steal :nod:

Marcel Dionne was probably the best player taken in the 2nd round. People are way too worried about his play-off record, which isn't that bad.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com

Personally, I think Mikhailov is better than Makarov anyway, so he's a bigger steal :nod:

Marcel Dionne was probably the best player taken in the 2nd round. People are way too worried about his play-off record, which isn't that bad.

Dionne playoff record is terrible. If you have the chance to read HO analysis on his playoff record, it's worth a read.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site

Yes, because the player who doesn't create the line's offence is more important than the player who does...

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Yes, because the player who doesn't create the line's offence is more important than the player who does...

Mikhailov actually played against real teams.

Makarov just beat up on everyone that wasn't good enough to play for his team. It would be like the Maple Leafs taking on the Marlies.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I think Makarov should of been picked in the high 60's. It's hard to have 'steals' in the early rounds, but if I had to call one in the second round, it's Makarov no doubt.

So you think he was better than Kurri, Moore and Bathgate then? Kurri and Moore are justifiable, but Sergei Makarov better than Andy Bathgate is pretty hard for me to swallow. The wild run on defensemen in round 2 caused a number of forwards to fall to good value. Makarov was one of them.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
When every Selke winner is gone by round 19, how is a Selke runner up with two additional top 10 finishes, very large size, and not pathetic offense a bad pick in round 21?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
So you think he was better than Kurri, Moore and Bathgate then? Kurri and Moore are justifiable, but Sergei Makarov better than Andy Bathgate is pretty hard for me to swallow. The wild run on defensemen in round 2 caused a number of forwards to fall to good value. Makarov was one of them.

Makarov's record in "clutch games" is outstanding.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I did a vs. Canada study for the Russians a few drafts ago, and Makarov was good, but not great.

Yakushev was the best. Krutov and Mikhailov were the next two. Can't remember where exactly Makarov fell, but he was no better than 4th.

Russians had more clutch games than just Canada.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Biggest Steal of the draft I dunno...we're getting to the point where there are no longer major steals
Biggest Reach of the draft Mats Sundin
Smartest/best strategic pick in the draft John Leclair
Biggest blunder selection of the draft Mats Sundin
A Player finally getting respect in the draft Reg Noble
A player always taken too high, finally getting picked where he should in the draft Cam Neely
A player you've discovered in this draft Al Rollins
Most underrated player taken Rod Gilbert
Most overrated player taken Alexander Ragulin
Favourite line of the draft Lindsay - Primeau - Conacher
Best assembled line of the draft Paul Kariya - Mario Lemieux - Boris Mikhailov
Worst assembled line of the draft Dave "Tiger" Williams (GOON) - Doru Tureanu (???) - Allan "Scotty" Davidson (DEAD)
Favourite pairing of defensemen Brad Park-Bill White
Most puzzling pairing of defensemen Nikolai Sologubov (A) - Glen Harmon
Team in the other conference it'd be interesting to meet in the finals Toronto St. Pats
Team in the other conference you wouldn't want to meet in the finals Guelph
A funny/dramatic story (related to the ATD) you've learned about since the start of the draft Charlie Conacher's 14 inch dong

---

Best selection: You cannot vote for players you own
1st round: Guy Lafleur #21
2nd round: Andy Bathgate #67
3rd round: Peter Stastny #115
4th round: ???
5th round: Babe Siebert #161
6th round: Vladimir Martinec #225
7th round: Martin St. Louis #248
8th round: Patrick Elias #319
9th round: Ron Ellis #346
10th round: Don McKenney #366
11th round: Lester Patrick, coach #410
12nd round: Bob Nevin #454
13th round: ???
14th round: Rick Nash #531
15th round: Calle Johansson #593
16th round: Dave Trottier #623
17th round: Jamie Macoun #655
...eh, that's enough

'Worst' Selection
1st round: Syl Apps Sr. #40
2nd round: Mats Sundin #53
3rd round: Sidney Crosby #101
4th round: Vladimir Konstantinov #124
5th round: Pavel Datsyuk #194
6th round: Vladimir Krutov #232
7th round: Gerry Cheevers #253
8th round: Vsevolod Bobrov #316
9th round: Michael Peca #321
10th round: ???
11th round: Vic Hadfield #425
12nd round: ???
13th round: Mike Vernon #513
14th round: Dion Phaneuf #535
15th round: Oldrich Machac #592
16th round: ???
17th round: Kirk Maltby #673

Last edited:

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island
Yeah, I knew what I was getting into when I picked Bobrov.

Admittedly, I didn't have the foresight to surround him with the right players when I picked him, because I originally planned for Mikhailov and Kariya to be on the 2nd line with Federko, and to have Bobrov with Lemieux and some other dude at the RW.

Then seventies suggested that I find more scoring, and brought up Oliver, whom I really liked.

Yeah, I changed my top 6 strategy too much, and made Bobrov pretty ineffective because of it. I'm still trying to find a quote that I found when I first picked him. Should've written it down. Gah.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I did a vs. Canada study for the Russians a few drafts ago, and Makarov was good, but not great.

Yakushev was the best. Krutov and Mikhailov were the next two. Can't remember where exactly Makarov fell, but he was no better than 4th.

So Yakushev is the best then, right? :naughty:

There were helluva many different kinds of Canadas USSR played against. Generally, Makarov faced clearly better ones - especially the Team Canada in 1987. And anyone who has seen the games from that tournament will tell you that Makarov was efficient and a standout, just like in the 1981 CC and 1984 CC too. When has Mikhailov been that good against similar kind of opposition? And no study (BTW, which you're only referring to but not showing it) based just on numbers can tell who's the best, 2nd best etc.

I have seen nearly all the true best on best games between Soviet Union and Canada from the 1970s and 1980s, and well, IMHO Makarov was simply superior to Mikhailov.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
So Yakushev is the best then, right? :naughty:

There were helluva many different kinds of Canadas USSR played against. Generally, Makarov faced clearly better ones - especially the Team Canada in 1987. And anyone who has seen the games from that tournament will tell you that Makarov was efficient and a standout, just like in the 1981 CC and 1984 CC too. When has Mikhailov been that good against similar kind of opposition? And no study (BTW, which you're only referring to but not showing it) based just on numbers can tell who's the best, 2nd best etc.

I have seen nearly all the true best on best games between Soviet Union and Canada from the 1970s and 1980s, and well, IMHO Makarov was simply superior to Mikhailov.

The study wasn't designed to identify the best players. It was only done to find out which Soviet players were able to score the most against Canada.

Yakushev topped that list. Makarov was behind Krutov and only slighty ahead of Larionov.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Makarov scored 12 points in 8 games (1.5 PPGA) versus Canada in the Canada Cups (1981, 1984, 1987).

Edit:
So at least best-on-best, his numbers are very impressive.

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
I think both guys would do better with a more defensive partner.

I agree and before the trade we made to acquire more offense we had Harmon with Ragulin, which would have worked well. However we think Harmon is good enough defensively and positionally to cover for the rushing of Solo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->