Atd Hof

• Thread starter Diving Pokecheck*
  • Start date

Diving Pokecheck*

I was thinking about it being the 10th anniversary of the ATD soon, and was wondering about a way to commemorate the history of this HFBoards institution.

A Hall of Fame honoring the elite GM's of this project, voted in by their peers.

ATD Tournament of Champions
What is the greatest ATD team ever assembled? We will find out by holding a tournament of the previous champions to determine the all-time elite squad.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
BM67 should be the first person inducted. Leaf Lander is right up there too. Hockey Outsider for his dominance since the playoff format was introduced. Vets like JFF, GBC, FI#2, Spitfire etc. (I know I'm leaving a ton out) do too.

Greatest ATD team is a little unfair because those teams that were assembled in 12-18 team drafts will invariably be better than the teams assembled now. It's like comparing the '57 Habs to the '07 Ducks.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Voting for a "best GM" seems a bit silly to me ... if you want to rig up a points / standings system (ie: 10 points for winning, 5 for going to the finals, etc), that might be interesting.

Teams from the 1st draft will smoke those from the 9th. Knowledge about the more obscure historical players was totally different. Here's a random team from ATD1 for reference:

Detroit Red Wings:
Esposito, Mikita, Sakic, Oates
Neely, Selanne, Shanahan, Kariya
Orr, Pilote, Vasiliev, Lapointe, Konstantinov, Suter

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Don't know if having a vote would be meaningful but it might be fun looking back at some of those earlier drafts. Maybe even do playoffs for each of the early drafts (don't think we started that until # 7). Even though we have more teams now, I think the quality is improving as participants gain more knowledge & have the previous drafts as a reference. I agree that the guys like BM67 & the other originals deserve a pat on the back.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Voting for a "best GM" seems a bit silly to me ... if you want to rig up a points / standings system (ie: 10 points for winning, 5 for going to the finals, etc), that might be interesting.

Teams from the 1st draft will smoke those from the 9th. Knowledge about the more obscure historical players was totally different. Here's a random team from ATD1 for reference:

Detroit Red Wings:
Esposito, Mikita, Sakic, Oates
Neely, Selanne, Shanahan, Kariya
Orr, Pilote, Vasiliev, Lapointe, Konstantinov, Suter

Damn, that GM must have been good :D

Playoffs with those old drafts wouldn't mean much since the views of how to compare eras has changed so much throughout the 9 drafts.

They've certaintly been fun though, can't believe it's been 5 years since the first one.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
For me it would be BM67 and Leaf Lander as "builders". These guys have invested way more time into the draft than anyone else. BM has run every draft up until now while always icing competitive teams and LL has done bio pages and alphabetical listings which have made life a lot easier for us.

Pappy and Wisent as coaches. These two gms have taught me more about hockey history than any book I've ever read. Wisent has iced teams where I had to google half the players on it!

Pitseleh and Hockey Outsider as contestants. These two have constantly put together teams that were the class of the draft. I think the worst HO has done is second.

And as far as I'm concerned GBC is the Bobby Orr/Bobby Clarke of the ATD. He changed the way the draft was done; if I'm not mistaken ATD6 was the first time we had the playoff and GBC was one of the biggest advocates for making it a competition. Love him or hate him, I think everyone can agree that he's one of the most competitive guys here and he and his teams are absolutely no fun to play against...except for maybe his ATD7 entry that got beat up by Murphy's Oilers ;)

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
more navel gazing :shakehead

seriously... we should think of ways of making the ATD more about the players and the history of the game: there's already too much look backward at past ATDs, who was picked where, even averages calculated!

the MLD is ten times more interesting in actually being about the history of the game, it seems to be the only place to learn anything new, to hear about lines and developments and aspects of players from the past

or maybe I'm just getting fed up with what the ATD represents and where it's (not) going

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
more navel gazing :shakehead seriously... we should think of ways of making the ATD more about the players and the history of the game: there's already too much look backward at past ATDs, who was picked where, even averages calculated! the MLD is ten times more interesting in actually being about the history of the game, it seems to be the only place to learn anything new, to hear about lines and developments and aspects of players from the past. or maybe I'm just getting fed up with what the ATD represents and where it's (not) going
Agreed. Are we here to honor the history of the game or each other? :)

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I don't see the need for it. An HF Boards History of Hockey HOF? That might be a better idea. You want to honour players, that's how you do it.

We wouldn't be here if it weren't for guys like BM and LL starting this up, and JFF, Evil Sather and Spit getting involved from the start.

I didn't change nothing. I was a big proponent for the playoff format from the moment I joined, but there had been discussion of it from the start. At least that's what Spit said. What happened when I joined, was the draft started to move faster, and more old-time guys got the respect they deserved. That's not because I joined. I didn't create that change, although I like to think I played a role. That's also when pappy, reck and raleh joined, and HO and Murphy rejoined the draft. It also didn't hurt that the previous draft took three months, with 16 GMs. Could you guys imagine if this draft took six months? Some of us would go ballistic.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
In the case of best GMs, I think the proof is in the pudding.

Nothing wrong with giving a pat on the back to the glorious founders of this funny little cult, though.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
There might be other guys in this situation...

But I'd like to nominate Jungosi. Winning at your 1st draft, while we're now in the 9th edition, is something we won't see really often anymore, even in an MLD. Nevermind he was a co-GM : he was directly responsible for two of our best three picks. (the other being George McNamara that I was given on a silver platter, litteraly).

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
Here is the list of the players who have Dunnell Cup Rings:

There has not been a mulitple cup winner at coach nor goaltender.

Hooley Smith - 2
Adam Oates – 2
Bobby Rousseau - 2
Doug Risebrough - 2
Newsy Lalonde - 2
Don Marcotte – 2
Ted Harris - 2
Bill Hajt - 2

Tommy Ivan
Hap Day
Al Arbour
Paul Kariya