ATD - EA Sports NHL 2018 for PS4

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Unlike ATD this is based on peak skill not accomplishments.

And what is a “deke”. Probably a weighted definition starting with one on one play to get to high danger zones and then to beat goalie. In which case Mario might get a slight edge at this point just because of longevity.

Mario was significantly better than McDavid at that.If he had one signature skill among the many and varied he possessed, it was this one.

Not sure what longevity has to do with this.At his peak, Mario was the greatest of all-time at that skill.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Mario was significantly better than McDavid at that.If he had one signature skill among the many and varied he possessed, it was this one.

Not sure what longevity has to do with this.At his peak, Mario was the greatest of all-time at that skill.

I'm in agreement with that. I also think his speed approached McDavid's speed but he had longer strides. I saw him at ice level and Mario just flew around the ice. He was a blur. And for such a big man that's extra impressive.

His dekes seemed wider and enhanced by his release, shot power and accuracy. McDavid isn't yet in his league with any of that, but he still scores off his speed and hands and decision making at top speed. If he was around in the 80's he'd have Mario-like numbers.

I'll adjust the numbers.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I've started doing EA bios for old-timers. I started filtering anecdotes from the ATD bio into an EA Rocket Richard bio. I tried to share the Drive link but it wouldn't let me here. If anyone is interested in joining in, PM me. Here's what I have so far:

Maurice RichardATDActual 7 VsXSource
Deking9494Originally Posted by Ultimate Hockey: ''The Rocket'' was an excellent stick handler and ... his tricky dekes attracted a lot of holdings, tripping and slashing from checkers.
Hand-Eye Hand eye: Higher hand eye means better deflections, puck pick ups and helps with dekes.
Passing Assist finishes (6th, 7th, 9th, 10th). Playoff assist finishes (2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 5th, 10th, 10th)
Puck Control Could often be seen carrying a player on his back on breakaways.
Slap Shot Accuracy
Slap Shot Power
Wrist Shot Accuracy9696Originally Posted by Ultimate Hockey: He had an amazingly accurate shot and could score from just about any angle. From 10 feet inside the opposition blue-line, he was the most deadly assassin of all-time. Five time NHL Goal Scoring Leader (1945, '47, '50, '54 & '55) third most of any player. Only shots stats came in his last year (166 shots in 51 games, 19 goals on 11.45% shooting percentage). buttonhook move out of the RW circle/corner
Wrist Shot Power
Acceleration
Agility
Balance Could often be seen carrying a player on his back on breakaways.
Endurance In a playoff game, the Bruins Leo Labine knocked Richard unconscious and doctors said he was done for the series. Richard refused to be hospitalized and returned to the game as the teams battled. Rocket Richard scored the game winning goal.
Speed
Discipline PIM finishes (1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 7th, 8th). Richard didn’t go out of his way to look for trouble and rarely took issue with men who played a tough but clean checking game. Those who chose more brutal tactics soon found out that Richard was willing to retaliate in kind, more than able to handle himself in the heavy going.
Off. Awareness
Poise9999Originally Posted by Ultimate Hockey: "Richard was often at his best in the most important games. His record 6 playoff overtime goals wasn't broken until 2006, despite the fact that teams only needed to win 2 playoff rounds to win the Cup in Richard's era." Toe Blake: "He was the greatest scorer under pressure that I've ever seen." Retro Conn Smythes in 1951 and 1958. 82 career playoff goals (8th all-time, 1st among pre-expansion players). 0.617 playoff goals per game (5th All-time, 1st among pre-expansion players. Bobby Hull is 2nd among pre-expansion players with 0.521). Led the playoffs in scoring twice (also finished 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 5th, 6th). Led the playoffs in goals 5 times (also finished (2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 4th, 7th, 10th). Playoff assist finishes (2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 5th, 10th, 10th)
Def. Awareness COriginally Posted by Jim Coleman, 1979: His defensive ability has been unjustly overlooked by hockey historians. The left wingers who played against him, seldom scored goals. See also game 5, 1960 finals. Michael Ullmer (Canadiens Captains): "While a middling defensive player, Richard was far more diligent than the procession of superstars - Hull, Gretzky, Lemieux - who followed him and Irvin used him in defensive situations. On a turnover, he always headed back first to his own zone and once there he picked up his man. The Canadiens kept track in 1950-51; while Richard scored 43 goals, his check scored 11 times. Still, Richard rationed his strength for offense. He was, Jean Beliveau wrote, "a highly-tuned, specialized hockey instrument, not a well-balanced, all-around player."" HOWEVER (also Beliveau): "Every star has his critics and Maurice was not immune. It was said that he was a lousy backchecker, that he had little interest in the defensive game and that this shortcoming drove his coaches to distraction. It was baloney of course." Canadiens1958: "Based on your rankings Maurice Richard would be at least high average."
Faceoffs
Shot Blocking
Stick Checking
Aggressiveness: higher=PIMs but also goalie will play deep on shots
Body Checking Michael Ullmer: "He initiated bodychecks very infrequently. "I have found it usually shakes me up as much as the fellow I have checked," Richard wrote."
Durability 14 straight years as an All-Star. 13 Stanley Cup finals.
Fighting Skill Richard didn’t go out of his way to look for trouble and rarely took issue with men who played a tough but clean checking game. Those who chose more brutal tactics soon found out that Richard was willing to retaliate in kind, more than able to handle himself in the heavy going.
Strength Rocket Richard did everything by instinct and brute strength. Between the blue line and the adversary's goal, he was the most determined, the strongest, more powerful, no more stoppable than Niagara Falls, according to one of his most detested opponents, Ted Lindsay, in an interview for the Hockey News in 2000.
Drafted/Team Montreal, undrafted
Height6-15-10Born 1921. Adjustment based on ATD era height/weight adjustment formula: born 1970-present (No adjustment); born 1950-1969 (+1", +10 lbs); born 1930-1949 (+2", +20 lbs); born 1910-1929 (+3", +30 lbs); born 1890-1909 (+4", +35 lbs); born 1870-1889 (+5", +40 lbs).
Weight210180Born 1921. Adjustment based on ATD era height/weight adjustment formula: born 1970-present (No adjustment); born 1950-1969 (+1", +10 lbs); born 1930-1949 (+2", +20 lbs); born 1910-1929 (+3", +30 lbs); born 1890-1909 (+4", +35 lbs); born 1870-1889 (+5", +40 lbs).
Overall 1947 Hart Memorial Trophy
Position RW
Player Type Franchise; Sniper
Potential High
Age Peak Years 1947-51 (26-30)
Shoots L
Puck Skills
Senses
Shooting
Defense
Skating
Physical
Player Attributes Explained - Answer HQ
Strength: affects hitting power, board play and a modifier to shot power.
Aggression: affects likelihood of taking a penalty, so higher aggression increases PIM chances. Also affects how much a goalie will challenge shooters as opposed to playing deep.
Poise: Players “ mental toughness “. Like you said, ability to make clutch plays.
Hand eye: Higher hand eye means better deflections, puck pick ups and helps with dekes.
Offensive Awareness: Better offensive zone abilities, a modifier of sorts. Doesn’t equate to scoring more, just overall boosts to playmaking and pick ups.
Defensive Awareness: Modifier to defensive zone abilities like pass interceptions and tie ups.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Would be nice if there was a way to correlate VsX with some of the attributes. Hull, Richard and Howe should probably have 99's in their shot attributes for accuracy for instance. Then maybe Espo gets 98, Ovech to Hull 97, Lemieux to 50 would be 96...? Can't look at shooting percentage because it doesn't exist for a lot of the early guys.. although since we are looking at peak skill years maybe GPG is the way to go then punish them in durability (tho who plays with injuries on?).

TABLE 5 - BEST SEVEN YEARS, GOALS (last updated: 2018)

Bobby Hull 70.2
Maurice Richard 67.2
Gordie Howe 65.5
Phil Esposito 62.1
Alex Ovechkin 59.5
Wayne Gretzky 59.0
Brett Hull 56.3
Mario Lemieux 54.5
Jean Beliveau 54.4
Charlie Conacher 54.3
Mike Bossy 52.9
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
The most efficient way to do these ratings would be to take all ATD-caliber players and just rank them into tiers in every category over and over again - like I did in defensive ability last year for all ATD forwards.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Would be cool if EAsports added every important historical player to their pool of available players, then they can use them in every game in the future once the front-loaded work is done.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
Created an all 90's team and played a full season with them.

Gretzky
Kariya
Hasek

looked alot like the real players. Here is a list of my full roster

Roy
Hasek
Belfour

Bourque
MacInnis
Leetch
Pronger
Stevens
Lidstrom
Blake
Niedermayer

Gretzky
Lemieux
Bure
Hull
Jagr
Lindros
Messier
Kariya
Selanne
Yzerman
Oates
Turgeon
Fedorov
Recchi
Neely
Lafontaine
Mogilny

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Created an all 90's team and played a full season with them.

Gretzky
Kariya
Hasek

looked alot like the real players. Here is a list of my full roster

Roy
Hasek
Belfour

Bourque
MacInnis
Leetch
Pronger
Stevens
Lidstrom
Blake
Niedermayer

Gretzky
Lemieux
Bure
Hull
Jagr
Lindros
Messier
Kariya
Selanne
Yzerman
Oates
Turgeon
Fedorov
Recchi
Neely
Lafontaine
Mogilny

No Sakic or Forsberg? Would replace Turgeon and Lafontaine with them.That's at first glance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad