ATD Chat Thread XX

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Happy birthday, man. I think I'd have to hide on my birthday over there. I'm broke. Lol
So am i. I just dropped a few thousand on a used SUV as a bday gift. Here's the first pic i took of it last week when it was delivered:

Attachments

• 20240423_170152.jpg
    20240423_170152.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Reactions: Habsfan18

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
So am i. I just dropped a few thousand on a used SUV as a bday gift. Here's the first pic i took of it last week when it was delivered:

What is that? A car for ants?!?

Just kidding - so many people here have ridiculously large cars and especially trucks - that they have no need for..

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
It's May 1st here, my 55th birthday. I have A LOT of work to do: in Korean culture, YOU pay for everything on your birthday. I have 5 class parties to plan for! The ice cream is easy, but the educational hour-long English games takes time when one teaches kindy, Grade 1, middle school 1st year, late elementary and adults over age 30 all on the same friggin' day!! A fun challenge, but a challenge nonetheless.:) Wednesday is always hump day, but the load is double when review activities rather than stock lessons are up.
My goodness, I remember when you turned 40

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
What is that? A car for ants?!?

Just kidding - so many people here have ridiculously large cars and especially trucks - that they have no need for..
LOL. I'm 6'1 and there's a lot of headroom in it.

It's a CX-5, just like Mazda has, a "crossover", SUV frame with a car design.

It's actually taller and wider than most cars, but smaller than most SUVs.

This picture shows it better:

Attachments

• 20240501_121002.jpg
    20240501_121002.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
You can my ex for free if you just pay for the shipment, I've always wanted to ship a book to East Asia.
I will not only take you up on that offer, but promise 7 - my hockey jersey number in my last minor league hockey - 7 great Korean gifts in the return parcel.

Remember: i bought over 100 books from @aeventieslord over 15 years ago!

I will provide a full book review here (within a calendar year - much earlier, but underpromise, overdeliver).

Last edited:
Reactions: Habsfan18

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
I've been going over records from the first WCHL season.

Looks like defensemen were still playing the full game, but there were two forward lines.

Shots per game is really high. Like averaging 35-38 per game. But oddly enough, they record saves not shots so you have to add saves plus goals to get shots. Goalies posting high save percentage. Like .910-.930% high.

They don't record how far into a period a goal happened, but how long since the last goal.

Newspapers include full results from NHL, PCHA, and a couple local amateur leagues. Sports coverage in general is really good.

Assist totals are noticeably higher for the home team than away team. For all four WCHL teams so there was some consistent reporting bias.

Teams were drawing 3500-6000 fans on average.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
FIRE is a term that has gotten watered down so much in the last 10 years. It used to be the "work 80 hour weeks and spend nothing and retire at 35 in poverty".
I'm not sure of you're familiar with this blog, but did you ever read Extreme Early Retirement by (I think) Jakob? I stumbled upon the blog a decade ago (but haven't read it in years). He was relatively young and lived in a mobile home, somewhere in the southern/rural US. He said he spent only around $10K per year (so, based on the 4% rule, he was able to retire with an investment portfolio of only a few hundred thousand dollars).

If he found happiness with that approach, then good for him. And as much as I like inexpensive activities like hiking, reading, HFBoards, etc - I couldn't imagine living 40+ years in a trailer in the middle of nowhere, foregoing international travel, concerts, the occasional steak dinner, etc. There has to be some middle ground between working til you're 70 to pay for a big house & a lifetime of frivolous purchases, and Jakob's approach.

Most of the FIRE sub on reddit is just have two people working at tech companies and making an obscene amount of money for a short while before retiring or people planning on living in a tent eating ramen like you said. It's like thanks for the tips!
At least those are better than "windfall" stories. A young person trying to make plans for their future can (correctly) conclude that they have the potential to earn a high income going into tech. That gives them a (somewhat) actionable plan.

If someone got lucky trading crypto or stock options - that's much harder to replicate, and has much less informational value for a reader. (Or, similarly, someone who bought a bunch of properties Toronto/Vancouver 20+ years ago).

I nominate you to explain investment income and capital gains to the National Post so people will stop REEEEEing about something that only affects rich people. And even then only moves up eligibility dollars. People see 50% and 66% and think those are the rates lol.

The deck is stacked against working people so badly it is crazy and I don't think that the "investment dollars/gains are already post-tax" covers it.
Here's how I've always looked at it - it's true that investment income is taxed much more favourably (in Canada). I can either complain about it, or I can take steps that allow me to benefit from those rules (which apply to everyone).

That's why I'm skeptical about people who loudly protest about public companies being too profitable. (The current target is Loblaws - and for the record, I don't own any of their shares). If people are so resentful of the company's success - go out and buy some shares, and then you can also benefit from the opportunity.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
MacInnis has a legendary point shot, but he was targeted when Prongs was off the ice in St. Louis.

Chara ruled both end of the ice!

They are both 6-time Norris trophy finalists. They both won a Stanley Cup. So they are in the same ball park?

Chara was the 14-year Bruins captain, MacInnis a Conn Smythe.

Chara had a leading +/- of +16 in his Stanley Cup win. That basically meant minimally his skate was on the ice 16 more times his team scored than ANY times the other team did. Of course, we know that stat was earned: he knocked guys around and took great point shots.

Chara > MacInnis in any universe i'm in.
But it is a worthy topic of discussion.
They are close. I just can't go Al, despite seeing his whole career. Pronger is a whole tier higher than these guys imo.
For what it's worth - at the time, Chara was my pick for the 2011 Conn Smythe.

Reactions: VanIslander

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I'm not sure of you're familiar with this blog, but did you ever read Extreme Early Retirement by (I think) Jakob? I stumbled upon the blog a decade ago (but haven't read it in years). He was relatively young and lived in a mobile home, somewhere in the southern/rural US. He said he spent only around $10K per year (so, based on the 4% rule, he was able to retire with an investment portfolio of only a few hundred thousand dollars).

If he found happiness with that approach, then good for him. And as much as I like inexpensive activities like hiking, reading, HFBoards, etc - I couldn't imagine living 40+ years in a trailer in the middle of nowhere, foregoing international travel, concerts, the occasional steak dinner, etc. There has to be some middle ground between working til you're 70 to pay for a big house & a lifetime of frivolous purchases, and Jakob's approach.

True, if you're just going to be a hermit what are you even doing it for?

At least those are better than "windfall" stories. A young person trying to make plans for their future can (correctly) conclude that they have the potential to earn a high income going into tech. That gives them a (somewhat) actionable plan.

If someone got lucky trading crypto or stock options - that's much harder to replicate, and has much less informational value for a reader. (Or, similarly, someone who bought a bunch of properties Toronto/Vancouver 20+ years ago).

Or had their parents give them a small loan of 4 million dollars :D

I get you.

Here's how I've always looked at it - it's true that investment income is taxed much more favourably (in Canada). I can either complain about it, or I can take steps that allow me to benefit from those rules (which apply to everyone).

That's why I'm skeptical about people who loudly protest about public companies being too profitable. (The current target is Loblaws - and for the record, I don't own any of their shares). If people are so resentful of the company's success - go out and buy some shares, and then you can also benefit from the opportunity.

I agree and some of us are fortunate enough to be able to take advantage of investing some extra money but there are a LOT of working people that don't have extra money these days. Sometimes it is a lack of budgeting, but I think largely it is just that wages have not kept up to costs.

Reactions: VanIslander

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
On Friday it took me hours of pondering on and off in free moments at work to get the Wordle cuz the 'b' was somewhere not first or last, but eventually i got it: ebony ... thanks to the famous song "Ebony & Ivory".

The other daily word puzzle then kicked my ***: liege
(I had to google it after: it's one of those Brit words about being superior, over some indentured servant or 'serf', part of their history; about their historic kind of slavery.)

It's Saturday morning here, and both Wordle & Quordle were done in minutes, to satisfaction.

Last edited:

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
True, if you're just going to be a hermit what are you even doing it for?
By my own calculations, I was ready to retire in 2020. (In other words, my investment income exceeded my annual spending). Of course, that was the first year of the pandemic. I didn't travel, didn't see any concerts, barely saw friends and family, etc. Now that things are back to normal, I have a (moderately large) shortfall. In theory I could quit tomorrow and experience a Jakob-style retirement, but that sounds miserable.

I agree and some of us are fortunate enough to be able to take advantage of investing some extra money but there are a LOT of working people that don't have extra money these days. Sometimes it is a lack of budgeting, but I think largely it is just that wages have not kept up to costs.
This is a fair point. I don't mean to come across as harsh, and I know there are lots of people struggling to make ends meet. But I don't have much sympathy for people who are comfortably middle class, and spend their money on frivolities, when (according to their own logic) they'd be on the road to riches by buying Loblaws shares (or Rogers, or whatever the target of the month is).

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
This is a fair point. I don't mean to come across as harsh, and I know there are lots of people struggling to make ends meet. But I don't have much sympathy for people who are comfortably middle class, and spend their money on frivolities, when (according to their own logic) they'd be on the road to riches by buying Loblaws shares (or Rogers, or whatever the target of the month is).

I agree, and I know irresponsible people across all age groups when it comes to planning for the future - and not just about finances.

I’m lucky enough to be doing ok (not great) but I think it is important to keep in mind that the middle class has been getting punched in the nuts for 40 years now. Things are much harder now than in the past for many.

There is a reason the greatest predictor of social mobility is parents financial and educational backgrounds. The world isn’t nearly as “work hard and have personal responsibility” as some like to think.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Pasta! :)

2018 (He scored and assisted in the Game 7 victory over Toronto in round 1)

2019 (He set up the tying goal and scored the winning goal in Game 6 to get them to their victorious game 7 in round 1 over Toronto)

2024 (He scores the Game 7 OT winner over Toronto)

Each time he and his Bruin buds beat the Leafs in game 7 of the 1st round.

And again, fittingly, lousy defense was the difference. Boston put on a clinic in positional play whereas T.O. w/o the puck was all over the place, bailed out by goaltending.

The better team advanced.

Joshin' epilogue: spaghetti and macaroni might become illegal in Toronto soon; but, then again, holes in the legal defense may defeat the effort.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad