ATD Chat Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Alright, a few bullet points:

- WHOOOOOOO TAVARES WHOOOOOOOOO JOHNNY T YUS WHOOOOOOOOO
- That said, I think it's sensible to think of Tavares as just a good get, and once we've all sobered up from our Canada Day beer, not assume this is a Ducks-after-Pronger roll to the cup. Hell, those Ducks don't even look that great if Getzlaf and Perry don't break out in a big way in the '07 playoffs.
- Any attempt to compare the centre depth to Pittsburgh's is contingent upon Matthews taking another step (or 87 and 71 losing one, who knows). That might happen, or he might still only be a first liner who scores on a 40 goal pace. Relax.
- This does not guarantee the Leafs will have to trade Marner or Nylander. I'm not sure if some of you are just assuming a team can't have those 4 guys on the same team, or whether Kypreos's opinions have somehow become canon, but that doesn't check out mathematically and Kyper says dumb stuff all the time.
- One thing to keep in mind if you're doing the math yourself - Matthews, Marner and Nylander aren't getting raises from ~900k to their next cap hits (say 11M, 8M, 7M, whatever). Any time you have kids putting up big numbers, there are going to be bonuses that put their cap hits closer to 2-3M or so. This brings down the amount of cap you have to clear out to sign them for real, but it also means that if you think they're going to bring in Karlsson (and Bobby Ryan? ugh) for one year for a maxed-out juggernaut, then you're putting them in absolute cap hell if any of these players play well.
- Matt Martin already costs next to no real money but still carries a good-sized cap hit, Patrick Marleau will be in that boat next year. Those guys will be gone, in that order, and that's more money to use.
- Jake Gardiner carries almost the same time-bomb contract that JVR did - a guy making around 4M for one more year that half the teams in the NHL would give 7M in a heartbeat. He also plays the same side as the nominal #1 defenseman, Morgan Rielly, and a 21 year-old who might already be their 3rd or 4th best defenseman, Travis Dermott. He's gone. Maybe in a trade for a similar but cost-controlled righty like Justin Faulk, maybe he flutters away in the wind to be replaced by guys like Dermott, Liljegren, or any mid-ticket free agent you can think of. I'm ok with either of those things.
- I mean, you could trade Nylander and a complementary gift bag for some incredible right-handed stud who solidifies the defense and makes the team better forever. If you don't like Nylander, maybe you really want to do that. I'm sure other teams will let the Leafs know if they want to do that.
- For all the talk of a big #1 horse as a necessity, it's hard to overstate how bad the right-side of Toronto's defense was this year. Nikita Zaitsev is a talented athlete, but he was banged up all year and couldn't do anything right. Ron Hainsey is 100 years old. Connor Carrick is a gas station scratch ticket, and Roman Polak would be a nice piece to have if his lack of puck skill didn't magnify the biggest problem the team already had. Literally anyone who's even average at skating or passing the puck over the line would be an improvement here.
- I honestly don't believe in coaches just "losing touch with the modern game". You see maligned guys like Tortorella or Carlyle constantly land on their feet after getting turfed out of some embarassing situation, and the strategies that are popular in hockey are extremely cyclical. I mean, there was Mike Keenan, but he was more crazy than old-fashioned.
- Frederik Andersen is an average NHL starting goalie or a little above. Next.
- It's going to be a hell of a lot of fun. Buckle in, and don't read Facebook.

Reactions: seventieslord

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Yes I think trading or allowing Gardiner to walk would be a prudent move. He is capable of being spectacular but he can also lose you games by himself. Not the type of guy I'd want to be playing top-4 minutes, really. At least, not without some kind of excellent defensive conscience ala Marc Methot for Erik Karlsson, which the Leafs don't really have.

As far as trading Nylander, it's not so much a matter of not liking him, as opposed to dealing from a position of strength to solidify a need. Of the current big 4 up front, he is the one I am least sure of. I could be wrong and he could become a stud, but I am with Dreakmur that the signs of that happening aren't really there.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
As far as trading Nylander, it's not so much a matter of not liking him, as opposed to dealing from a position of strength to solidify a need. Of the current big 4 up front, he is the one I am least sure of. I could be wrong and he could become a stud, but I am with Dreakmur that the signs of that happening aren't really there.
Bottom line is if you trade Nylander it's because you want to, and not because you can't get 4 star forwards under the salary cap. I mean, you can't sign all of those guys and Doughty while keeping every Jake and James who wants first line money too, but you can sign Tavares and give the 3 young guys Eichel, Gaudreau and Pastrnak money while building a perfectly reasonable support group around them.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Certainly no more excuses for Babcock to keep going out in the 1st round.

Yeah basically. Admittedly, there was a lot of turn over from last year, but aside from JVR, we didn't lose anyone I would deem critical to the process. Bozak was replaced with Tavares, and now Leivo is going to get his chance as well I imagine. Kapanen is definitely better than a 4th liner. Etc.

On an unrelated note, the NBA is a complete joke. It seems it is the league of all star players colluding and joining up on the same team to win championships. The Warriors look poised to repeat again, and their season only just ended.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Yeah basically. Admittedly, there was a lot of turn over from last year, but aside from JVR, we didn't lose anyone I would deem critical to the process. Bozak was replaced with Tavares, and now Leivo is going to get his chance as well I imagine. Kapanen is definitely better than a 4th liner. Etc.

On an unrelated note, the NBA is a complete joke. It seems it is the league of all star players colluding and joining up on the same team to win championships. The Warriors look poised to repeat again, and their season only just ended.

I haven't watched the NBA in years.

Saw Cousins to Golden State and laughed. What a complete joke, as you said.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
As a Pelicans fan I'm wrecked, but by the sounds of it he didn't like our offer and expected more even after having possibly the worst injury a 6'10 300lb guy could have.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Anyone else having issues with the auto login?

You have to login in manually every time? Then no, only had to do it once with the board migration I think, with the exception of cleaning the web browser cache etc. which I've done at some point I think.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
This quote surprised me:

Boucher, Cook Set Great Pace with Rangers

But with all his clean play, Boucher is an aggressive player. He is the brains behind the manuevers which place the puck in scoring position. The former Northwest Mounty, whose slogan is "keep a level head at all times," can wield his fists with the same precision as he does a hockey stick, and few pucksters go out of their way to tangle with him.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Sounds like Earl Seibert, the only man Shore was too afraid to fight. Earl didn't have to fight because others were wary of his size and strength.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Half a shout-out in James Benesh's article in the 20 August Hockey News (Tavares cover), page 62-63 ... decent article on Sprague Cleghorn and Retro Norris trophies, he says "Luckily for us, historians at hfboards.com spent many hours searching old newspapers to get first-hand accounts of what kind of player Cleghorn was..."

As a recreational historian who has never actually done this, I appreciate all y'all who have. I found hfboards at the recommendation of a US Navy sailor I was deployed with years ago, I found the ATD forum when I used the search function and saw Sidney Crosby's name next to Frank McGee and wondered who the hell the Dubai Mighty Camels were and what the hell was happening in here. Thanks to all of y'all who have helped me appreciate so much of this game's history and helped keep their names alive forever.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Half a shout-out in James Benesh's article in the 20 August Hockey News (Tavares cover), page 62-63 ... decent article on Sprague Cleghorn and Retro Norris trophies, he says "Luckily for us, historians at hfboards.com spent many hours searching old newspapers to get first-hand accounts of what kind of player Cleghorn was..."

As a recreational historian who has never actually done this, I appreciate all y'all who have. I found hfboards at the recommendation of a US Navy sailor I was deployed with years ago, I found the ATD forum when I used the search function and saw Sidney Crosby's name next to Frank McGee and wondered who the hell the Dubai Mighty Camels were and what the hell was happening in here. Thanks to all of y'all who have helped me appreciate so much of this game's history and helped keep their names alive forever.

James is very well known here and a very respected member of the community. Awesome, but not surprised he'd give the ATD/HoH folks a shout out. :nod:

Reactions: seventieslord

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Was wondering if I'd need to do these by hand but working on a project for HOH project and the ATD. Does anyone have a spreadsheet of season by season for pretty much every league until 1926 when the NHL had most of the talent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->