ATD #9 Jim Robson Quarterfinal: #4 Winnipeg Jets vs. #5 Regina Pats

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Hossa is playing in a time when the NHL is a truely global league? Ooooh. I don't think he'd be any better back when Provost played if that's what you're getting at. And yeah, Prystai was two-way. Cool. Just try and shutdown Sakic and score at the same time. :D :laugh: (I rock at trash talking.)
LOL @ the white text. very funny!

To explain what I meant here, NHL accomplishments such as placing in the top-10 or top-5 or whatever, mean more than the same in the 60's or 70's. We are now pretty certain that the very best players are all in one place. In the 60's or 70's, a guy who placed 8th in the NHL might have found himself outside of the top-10 entirely if Bobrov, Maltsev, Kharlamov, etc played in the NHL, just like today's European counterparts do. Get it?

Wait, what? Your third pairings excellence? Where was Graham Drinkwater's excellence last draft? I like Bob Goldham and Graham Drinkwater, and you may not like Calle Johansson, and Taffy Abel may not be a top-4 defensemen. But the difference between Serge Savard and Denis Potvin, and Vlad Konstantinov and Marcel Pronovost is not wiped out by the advantage, if there is one, that Drinkwater and Goldham have over Abel and Johansson. I just don't see it.

Honestly... I knew nothing of Drinkwater last draft. I'm sorry if I didn't give him any love.

Let's try and put it this way. You have offensive talent, with not many pure defensive players. Wouldn't it be better to have a defensive coach to help get the best defensive ability out of your guys? They're naturally gifted offensively, and have been for their whole careers. So when given the green light to score, they know how to. But when put under pressure from the likes of my top line, wouldn't it help to have a coach who implements a system that helps them in those scenarios? Hope that makes more sense.

My head is spinning.

Gilbert Perreault can be ticked off just as easy. And actually, IMO, Prystai on Sakic is more critical to you then I think your making it to be, but I'd be open to hear why you don't think you need Prystai to stop Sakic.

What? Perreault has 500 career PIMs. He's not going to swing his stick at anyone who needles him. He's not the same as Kerr or Nolan at all.

To answer the next part briefly, I don't think it would be the end of the world if I couldn't get Prystai out there vs. Sakic 1/3 of the time on the road. I would try to trade goals with either of the first two lines, or needle him with the 4th. None would be as effective as the Prystai line, but is that a series-winning edge? hardly.

What has Drinkwater done that makes him clutch? Actually asking, since I didn't find any argument when I had him last draft. And yes, Jarvis and Pronovost proved that they can step it up in the playoffs; they were HUGE reasons in the cup wins. I'll try and find actual proof and stuff tommorow.

That's my point though. I don't know of any anecdotes that show he was anything other than their best or second best player and played his usual game en route to the cup... just like guys like Goldham, Jarvis, and Pronovost!

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Center
Gilbert Perreault
1191 512 814 1326 500
Vincent Lecavalier
710 273 329 602 507
Metro Prystai
674 151 179 330 231
Ken Linseman
860 256 551 807 1727
Peter McNab
954 363 450 813 179

over 3800 points over 1500 goals

Right Wingers
Lanny McDonald
1111 500 506 1006 899
Pat Verbeek
1424 522 541 1063 2905
Marian Hossa
701 299 349 648 395
Pie McKenzie
691 206 268 474 917
Billy Gilmour
56 49 0 49 174

over 3200 points over 1500 goals

Left Wingers
Alexandr Yakushev
789 484 500(maybe) 984 ?
Vladimir Krutov
768 467 414 891 406
Kirk Muller
1349 357 602 959 1223
Dan Maloney
737 192 259 451 1489

Defenceman
Serge Savard
1040 106 333 439 592
Vladimir Konstantinov
446 47 128 175 838
Bob Goldham
650 28 143 171 400
Graham Drinkwater
41 32 0 32 0
Steve Duchesne
1113 227 525 752 824
Adam Foote
998 65 219 284 1407
Mattias Ohlund
688 87 213 300 651

over 2200 points over 600 goals

12,400 points 5100 goals

ur tema is a oneline team and featuers many miner leagers but mine ahs savard a bonecruiser who will hurt you

if u think u will win the fog reallyis thick around u tonite

somethings are and some things arenot but clear ly my tema is more dominance than urs

look at there stats

plus every palyer i have is 2way like perrualt kutrov and dushene and malony

the voters don tlike me and thats the olny reason u migh twin

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Meh, all votes are in, so not much left to argue here. Regardless;

-Tim Thomas? Bahahahahahahahaahahahaha. With all due respect to him, nice indirect shot at Holecek. Average starter? How about try someone like Vesa Toskala or Marc-Andre Fleury. I don't mind the Chris Osgood comparison, because if you haven't noticed, his team is in teh finals, while Brodeur and Luongo are golfing. ;)

-I see what you did with the stats. :D

-Savard 20th? Don't agree, but okay, fine. Whose the 20th best defensemen in the league right now? Robyn Regehr maybe? Dan Boyle? Luongo/Boyle or Toskala/Phaneuf? Gotta remember that Luongo sucked this year when he had a ****ty defense. :laugh: I love invisible text.

Anyways, voting is over, and neither of us should be disappointed with the final result, we've both iced our best teams, and their both great teams.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Meh, all votes are in, so not much left to argue here. Regardless;

Apparently we're going to argue a bit more anyways!

-Tim Thomas? Bahahahahahahahaahahahaha. With all due respect to him, nice indirect shot at Holecek. Average starter? How about try someone like Vesa Toskala or Marc-Andre Fleury. I don't mind the Chris Osgood comparison, because if you haven't noticed, his team is in the finals, while Brodeur and Luongo are golfing. ;)

Not a ahot at Holecek at all. I just showed you a list of goalies better than him, thus he is an average starter. Tim Thomas would be a suitable comparison. Toskala is closer to 8th today and Fleury, though polarizing, is somewhere between 7th and 12th. I can't be that generous. As for Osgood, he looks good right now, but I still think he's average. If I thought he was better than that, I would not have used him as an example! :D

-I see what you did with the stats. :D

;)

-Savard 20th? Don't agree, but okay, fine. Whose the 20th best defensemen in the league right now? Robyn Regehr maybe? Dan Boyle? Luongo/Boyle or Toskala/Phaneuf? Gotta remember that Luongo sucked this year when he had a ****ty defense. :laugh: I love invisible text.

Boyle or Regehr would be fair to say. So, Luongo/Regehr vs. Thomas/Phaneuf... I know what I'd take. Luongo was not really that bad this year despite missing the playoffs

Anyways, voting is over, and neither of us should be disappointed with the final result, we've both iced our best teams, and their both great teams.

Agreed. But I'm goign towin becuase i have 12,400 poitns onmy team ;)

Jungosi

Jan 14, 2007
Rendsburg / Germany
Center
Gilbert Perreault
1191 512 814 1326 500
Vincent Lecavalier
710 273 329 602 507
Metro Prystai
674 151 179 330 231
Ken Linseman
860 256 551 807 1727
Peter McNab
954 363 450 813 179

Right Wingers
Lanny McDonald
1111 500 506 1006 899
Pat Verbeek
1424 522 541 1063 2905
Marian Hossa
701 299 349 648 395
Pie McKenzie
691 206 268 474 917
Billy Gilmour
56 49 0 49 174

Left Wingers
Alexandr Yakushev
789 484 500(maybe) 984 ?
Vladimir Krutov
768 467 414 891 406
Kirk Muller
1349 357 602 959 1223
Dan Maloney
737 192 259 451 1489

Defenceman
Serge Savard
1040 106 333 439 592
Vladimir Konstantinov
446 47 128 175 838
Bob Goldham
650 28 143 171 400
Graham Drinkwater
41 32 0 32 0
Steve Duchesne
1113 227 525 752 824
Adam Foote
998 65 219 284 1407
Mattias Ohlund
688 87 213 300 651

12,400 points 5100 goals

ur tema is a oneline team and featuers many miner leagers but mine ahs savard a bonecruiser who will hurt you

if u think u will win the fog reallyis thick around u tonite

somethings are and some things arenot but clear ly my tema is more dominance than urs

look at there stats

plus every palyer i have is 2way like perrualt kutrov and dushene and malony

the voters don tlike me and thats the olny reason u migh twin

dude I love it.

Jungosi

Jan 14, 2007
Rendsburg / Germany
Game 1 : A firework to start the series

Even before the first puck dropped this series was already the talk of the town. The hate between the GM's of the two teams , Peter "Love" Landers and Franklin Inman the second , earl of Inglewood , was imminent to boil.

"My players have scored 5100 freaking goals , those Jets have NOTHING on them!" - "Love" Landers

"Does this guy really want to tell me that Prystay is two-way? He is a minor-leaguer at best!" Franklin Inman 2nd

With their GM's absolutely hating each other , the fans of both teams were exspecting a lot of bad blood and violence for this series. Some might have been a bit disappointed after this game but most weren't. It was high quality hockey by both teams with Regina coming out on top.

Gilbert Perrault opened the scoring with some jaw-dropping stickhandling past the Jets defense. He tried a similar move just minutes later but was buried by Denis Potvin , who Perrault made look like a fool on the first goal. That hit changed the momentum towards Winnipeg but Plante was able to withstand their attack until Joe Sakic took matters into his own hands and scored with a deadly wristshot on the gloveside. With the score tied neither team was able to get some quality chances. Ovechkin was the one to break the tie and put Winnipeg in front. Pat Verbeek responded pretty fast and Yakushev gave the Pats the lead. The third period was mostly run-and-gun from then on but neither team was able to get by the respective goalie.

Final score : 3-2 Regina , Regina leads the series 1-0

Boxscore
1st period
15:41 - Perrault (Konstantinov,Savard)
2nd period
6:01 - Sakic (Conacher)
18:27 - Ovechkin (O'Connor)
3rd period
1:22 - Verbeek (Lecavalier,Duchesne)
4:57 - Yakushev (Perrault,Konstantinov)

The rest of the write-ups will be there by tomorrow.

Jungosi

Jan 14, 2007
Rendsburg / Germany
Game 2 :Winnipeg 0-2 in the game and the series

After a great start into the series the Pats were looking to extend their lead and started this operation early. Duchesne fired a slapshot on an early powerplay which could only be party deflected by goaltender Jiri Holecek. The loose puck rolled directly to Yakushev's tape and the score was 1-0 in favour of Regina. After the goal Winnipeg started to constantly pressure Jaques Plante's net but with no succes. Jack the Snake made several awesome saves , most notably on Joe Sakic , whose had a clear-cut breakway ,and Tim Kerr on a Winnipeg powerplay. Regina's offence was practicly non-existent in the time between their first goal and the last 5 minutes of the game. In those five minutes Marian Hossa was able to steal the puck with a fine denfensive play and set up Prystai , who scored the game winner.

Final score : 2-0 Regina , Regina leads the series 2-0

Game 3 : Sweep calling?

"This is just awfull. I don't know what is wrong with the team. We just can't score to save our lives at the moment." - Denis Potvin

This desperate statement by the captain Denis Potvin sums up the way the series is running for the Jets. Once again Jaques Plante would destroy any hopes for them. After to rather quiet periods that both lacked major scoring changes Gilbert Perrault scored the go-ahead goal and assisted on Lanny MacDonald's goal just moments later. Too shocked to score the Jets showed first signs of resignation and pretty much called it a game. Plante got his second consecutive shut-out in the series and Perrault registered his his forth point in 3 games. The Jets will need a miracle in order to come off a 3-0 deficit.

Final score : 2-0 Regina , Regina leads the series 3-0

A ray of hope?

Is this the start of a comeback or the Jet's last stand? Well , they've managed to prolong the series for at least one game in dramatic fashion. Once again it was a low-scoring game with another great display of goaltending by Plante. But this time his counterpart was even more stellar. It took a three-on-one for Regina to finally score early in third period. Vincent Lecavalier fed the puck over to Vladimir Krutov and the Russian did not hesitate. In an desperate all-out-attack move Joe Sakic scored the probably most important goal of the series. With a classic snapshot Burnaby Joe was finally able to get past Plante. He would later prove why he is considered as one of the best playoff performers ever. In an exiting overtime period ,that started with two great saves by Holecek, we'd like to swith to the commentary by Jet's announcer George Grande.

"....and the puck is dumped into the Jets zone by Konstaninov , who goes of the ice. 1:30 left in this first overtime period. Potvin has the puck , skating it to center ice. He looks and finds Joe Sakic. Sakic and Conacher on a two-on-two situation against Prystai and Duchesne. Sakic sho.... no he fakes the shot , Prystai goes down and he has SCORED! THE JETS KEEP THEMSELVES ALIVE , what a goal by Sakic!"

Final score : 2-1 Winnipeg , Regina leads the series 3-1

Jungosi

Jan 14, 2007
Rendsburg / Germany
Blood and sweat but no tears for the Jets

"Everyone gave 200% tonight. We know it's an almost impossible challange but it was been done before."

Infront of possibly one of loudest crowds ever the Jets are continuing their miraculous comeback in a series everyone thought they had already lost.

The game started rough. Denis Potvin threw out devastating hits and his partner Pronovost did just the same. It got ugly when Pronovost partly missed a hip-check on Perrault and caught much of his left leg. Dan Maloney immidietly jumped Pronovost and all hell broke lose. The benches cleared and one big brawl ensued. Linseman vs. Henderson , Maloney vs. Nolan , Ovechkin vs. Lecavalier , Potvin vs. Foote and Verbeek vs. Parise. Everyone went toe-to-toe with the next best player he could grab. Tons penalty minutes where given out and with some of the best players of the ice the game slowed down significantly. Pronovost was out for the game , Linseman suffered a broken nose and Maloney will very likely get suspended for his actions. There was still a lot of tension in the air but there was no more fighting in the game. Instead of that both teams started scoring goals. Conacher opened on a beatifull feed by Hollet late in the second and moments before the siren would sound Nolan scored another one. After the break Regina responded quick with two markers by Krutov to tie it again. Who else but Joe Sakic would come up big in such a situation? He made a perfect pass to Kerr on a nicely set up play by Potvin. When the puck went in the building errupted. Regina couldn't get by Holecek and Winnipeg showed that they are still alive. Will we see a mircale in game 6 and 7?

Final score : 3-2 Winnipeg , Regina leads the series 3-2

Boxscore
1st period
scoreless
2nd period
14:41 - Conacher (Duchesne)
18:01 - Nolan (O'Connor,Ovechkin)
3rd period
3:21 - Krutov (Lecavalier)
5:15 - Krutov (Duchesne,Foote)
14:44 - Kerr (Sakic,Potvin)

Goaltending extraordinaire and a true hero

In a series hasn't seen more than 3 goals by one team it seems only fitting to have a scoreless regulation. In one of the finest goaltending battles the Regina crowd has ever witnessed Winnipeg came out on top again. Coming of a 3-0 deficit coach Glen Sather rallied his troops and led by an unbealieveable Joe Sakic and Denis Potvin the Jets bravely fought their way back into a lost series. This time it was their czech goalie Holecek that outshined everyone. He made some impossible saves early in the game and continued his incredible performance in the overtime period. Jaques Plante's performance was at least as great. But in the end he would be the one to fail first you don't get a second chance in overtime. For the second time in the series Joe Sakic scored the overtime winner. With grea effort he got the puck on the forecheck , passed it back to Pronovost , who returned to the line-up after missing most of game 5 , Pronvost gave back to Sakic. He showed the coolness you need in those situations , waited , picked is spot and scored. Winnipeg might be able to pull one of the greatest comebacks in sports history. In a game 7 anything can happen and Winnipeg has definetly the psychological edge.

Winnipeg wins 1-0 and ties the series at 3

Boxscore
Regulation
scoreless
Overtime
1st period
scoreless
2nd period
19:10 - Sakic (Pronovost)

Last edited:

Jungosi

Jan 14, 2007
Rendsburg / Germany
Epic

"This is one hell of series. The felt way to safe after winning 3 straight. Now we are in probably most difficult situation I can imagine. Playing a team hotter than hot in their town , in front of their crowd. Holy cow , this is going to be hard." - Bob Johnson.

Streets are dead in Winnipeg around 7pm. Everyone is either in the arena or watches the game at the big video screen outside in the blistering cold. They don't care it's hockey time.

The puck drops precicely at 7:13 pm. Both teams start slow as the nerves are as frayed as they can be. Perrault registers the first shot of the game and it is easyly catched by Holecek. The following face-off is won by Doug Jarvis who clears the puck a goes for a line change. With the Sakic line on the ice the crowd goes nuts. Sakic has become greater than god in Winnipeg. A strong rush by Denis Potvin leads to a penalty against Regina. The Jets powerplay did not play well all series long but this time they were sharp. A little passing , an open Tim Kerr and a typical goal for him. 1-0 Winnipeg , 50 minutes left in the game. Regina began to press harder what lead to a great shorthanded chance for Claude Provost but Plante stoned him. The Pats continued their attack with growing confidence , knowing that Plante would have their back. Midway through the second period McDonald ties the game with a great individual effort. The game got more defensive and more mistakes began to happen. It is kind of ironic that Sakic gave away the puck for Prystai's go-ahead goal. The crowd went quiet after this , they could not believe. The clock began to tick faster and faster for the Jets. They tried hard to find a way past Plante but there was none. One minute left , Sather pulls the goalie , Potvin fires from the points and Kerr scores ...... no he did not. The goal was disallowed immidietly as referee Don Koharski was shure that Kerr interferred Plante right before the puck went in. The uproar in the crowd was unbelievable. Coach Glen Sather almost ran onto the ice to beat the crap out of Koharski but the goal was declared a no-goal. To make things worse Kerr was send to the box. 46 second left , a man down and mentally drained it looked like the Jets had finally lost the game. One man could not live with an end like this. The man was Alexander Ovechkin. With the face-off won again he took the puck , fought his way past Savard and scored. Words can't describe the crowds reaction , but it might have been like this

It would go to overtime once more. And this time it was a LONG overtime. It took 4 periods of OT to find a winner for the series. Regina. On a play that looked harmless at first Vladimir Konstantinov ended an epic series. A tick,tac,toe play between him Perrault sealed the deal. I've never seen a quiter crowd than this and a more dissappointed bunch of heroes than the Jets. While the Pats went absolutely crazy , the guys on the other end of the rink where in tears.

Regina wins 3-2 and takes the series 4-3

Congrats to seventieslord! And also congrats to vcl. You are the most GM's that have improved their teams most. Good luck next time!

3 Stars :

Plante
Sakic
Potvin

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
OMFG Jungosi, how could you do this to us??? Very dirty!

Great series, great writeup, and thanks for the best series I've ever been a part of, VCL. :yo:

Who were the 3 stars? I imagine Plante and Sakic were 1 and 2?

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
You do realize Regina and seventieslord won the series and not Winnipeg and vcl GBC?
I do now. Asleep at the wheel (or the keyboard) on that one.

I think most of what I said can be salvaged. I think it's still hard to believe a team could beat that Winnipeg squad (or that Regina squad) in three straight games. And I still think VCL will be the guy to beat in a few years, if he remains patient and continues to improve his team.

Manitoba Premier Gary Doerr, and whoever the hell is the mayor of Winnipeg, will be standing at the intersection of Albert Street and Victoria Avenue in Regina, sporting Pats jerseys and meeting Regina fans. (They should be used to it by now). For whatever reason, teams from Winnipeg can't beat teams from Saskatchewan in a best-of-one contest.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I saw that one coming to be honest. Congrats 70's, great job with the debating. Thanks for the great series, and also to Jungosi for the great writeups.

:handclap:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I saw that one coming to be honest. Congrats 70's, great job with the debating. Thanks for the great series, and also to Jungosi for the great writeups.

:handclap:

Thank you. I was very determined to win my first series!

The next time we meet, may it be in the 2nd round instead of the 1st.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
LOL, well, even better. All I'm saying is, we better not meet in round 1 again because it means one of us will be in the bottom half of our division.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad